Where can Grandma find a Turtle and lots of Sea Stars?

Travel discussion for St. John
stjohnfirsttimer

Where can Grandma find a Turtle and lots of Sea Stars?

Post by stjohnfirsttimer »

Leaving for our first time to St John tomorrow morning at 5! Grandma has just announced that she absolutely must see a turtle and that she has always dreamed of seeing sea stars. Not just one sea star, she wants to see them everywhere (I don't know if thats even possible...)

Any snorkeling spots or beaches where we are virtually gauranteed to see at least a turtle?
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

You seem to always find the sea stars at Waterlemon at the shallow part. Turtles come in close to shore early in the morning at Francis, Maho and Gibney Beach. If the north shore is too rough, you can also find turtles at Salt Pond.

Enjoy your trip!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Last month we saw a bed of hundreds of seastars at waterlemon on the west side of the key. check this out:

Anywhere there is sea grass you are likely to see turtles....the above suggestion is a good one.

You will be there soon...go with the flow and have a GREAT time!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I have always been able to find turtles at Maho, in the grassy area in the middle. If you're patient, I think it's a pretty sure bet you'll see at least one or two.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Yes...as others have mentioned, the trick to seeing turtles is to hang out in the middle of bays where there's (aptly named) turtle grass. This can get boring, since there's not that much else out in the middle of the bays to look at! You can also keep an eye out for their little heads popping up occasionally to take a breath...that can help you locate them as well.

Our sure-fire turtle-spotting locations are Francis (in the middle of the bay) and Salt Pond Bay, along the rocky lefthand side of the bay.