Hello from semi - lurker status

Travel discussion for St. John
jclampet

Hello from semi - lurker status

Post by jclampet »

OK, while I have not been exactly lurking here scince I registered, I also have not been on very much and I have only posted 4 or 5 responses. I have occasionally been on to see what folks are writing, but it occurs to me that I have not intrduced myself in any fashion. So here goes. My name is Jim and my wife is Jody. We live in central Delaware. I was originally told of this blog after emailing Bob and Anita about their pictures (great pictures). Jody and I have been planning our trip to St John for over a year now and will be arriving the 16th of May. We are very excited about this one. In the past we have gone on cruises and have gone to Burmuda and Key West several times and I would damn near do anything to just be on the beach, but this will be our first trip to St John and we hope to make it the most special trip we have ever taken....If anyone is going at the same time or if anyone has any pointers, I am all ears...God bless you all and I love your little sunny online sanctuary you have here...Jody and I hope we are a fitting addition...
Last edited by jclampet on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Welcome to the forum! Like the rest of us on here, you will be addicted once you go to St. John and nowhere else will come close to comparing.

Enjoy your trip!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Welcome!

I've only been to St. John once but continue to live vicariously through this forum until I can plan my next trip.

As far as pointers -- this forum is a great source of info as you know. Also, lots of us have enjoyed the books Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive, and St. John Off the Beaten Track for their tips on hikes and snorkel spots.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Welcome, welcome welcome :)

OK, so fill us in (we like details :) ) where are you staying, what are your plans etc, etc - maybe there will be a Beach Bar get together while you are here - always alot of fun :)

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time during your stay here but remember (I may as well be the bad guy here :) ) it is St John not St Johns (with an "s") as some people do/will get very upset if you call our little island by the wrong name :)

Pia
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Welcome!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

Welcome! You will find alot of great tips here, and the friendliest unknown people you could imagine. I, too, don't post regularly, but still lurk quite often (will do better after my trip). After 4 trips I still get great ideas from this forum!
Deb
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

jclampet (nice name...jeff foxworthy once did a little bit titled "The Clampet's Go To Maui!")...Anyway, I have never been to most of the places you mentioned (except Key West), but I will be surprised if you don't find STJ to be your favorite. Many others around this forum are much more well traveled than I, and have been to many of the "hot spots". I always get a kick out of reading their comments on those places as compared to STJ. I have lived vicariously through many of them, and have realized that I just happened to get really luck in that St. John was the first, and still only Caribbean island I have been to (well, except for the BVI's on my STJ trips).

We've taken my wife's aunt and uncle twice now, and they are pretty well traveled retired folks from Cambridge...They both enjoyed St. John more than they did Hawaii or any of the other Caribbean Isles they had visisted...

And it's funny...My wife's uncle still call St. John "St. John's"...I don't correct him anymore - I think it's part of his charm.

Have fun!!!!!!!
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Welcome to the forum! Planning the first trip is not nearly as fun as planning 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on...so you have lots to look forward to!
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Welcome Jim and Jody!

There are going to be at least a few folks from the forum on island while you are there. I AM ONE OF THEM! YEAH! Definitely come to the Beach Bar on the 17th for the regular Sunday Forum Gathering. Its a lot of fun to meet the Famous Forum Folks and you can usually hook up with others for daysails, diving, or whatever, if your interested.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Welcome, again! :D I have one tip that will help you a little. Although St. John is an informal place, communication with the locals carrys a little more protocol. If you say, "Good Morning", "Good Day", "Good Evening" you will get big smiles in return. I have a bad habit of just blurting out things, like, "Where is the market?" without first saying, "Good day" so I do my best to stop and think, and give the proper greeting before I put my foot in my mouth! :D

You are going to have a fabulous time and I swear you'll get hooked and never want to go anywhere else!
Fowst

St. John(s)

Post by Fowst »

My wife and I are returning this June with 3 couples who have never been. We've been planning the trip since last fall, and despite my oppressive enforcement of the rule, one person in the group still thinks we're going to someplace called "St. Johns." I had to lower the hammer on one member of our group after a string of 8 emails referring to St. Johns drove me over the edge. She hasn't slipped up since.

Funny, though. I don't really care about those who think Indiana is next to "Illinoise"
Boston Mike

Welcome

Post by Boston Mike »

Welcome to the forum. You will love St. John. We fell in love with it last year and are heading back this year. We will be down May 15th a day before you. Who knows, maybe we'll bump into you.

I'll be wearing my caribbean water stained Red Sox hat (on backwards)from my swim in to the Soggy Dollar. Waves a little rough that day. Now I can never get rid of the hat.

Have fun posting and see you in May! :D
Life begins where the land ends!
jclampet

St Johns vs. St John

Post by jclampet »

Perhaps it was simply a matter of wishful pluralistic expression, maybe I wish there were two of them....OK I got you, I will never make the same mistake twice...
psufan

Post by psufan »

Welcome. I am an irregular poster/ mostly lurker type person myself. We will be going on our second trip to St John in May. Unfortunately we won't be arriving until 5/22 so we will probably miss you. I triple-dog-dare you not to have the best vacation ever! We certainly fell in love with the island and are looking forward to returning. Can't come soon enough, especially considering the weather in our part of the country!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming trip!

I have only been to St. John twice, although I am this close to having my third trip booked. Yay!

As you can see, we are all pretty much addicted to this beautiful little island, and I'm sure that it will affect you in ways you couldn't ever imagine too.

You definitely have to stop by the Beach Bar. I did that for the first time this year, and it was great to meet forum people!