Bluebeards Castle - What is your experience?

Travel discussion for St. John
cuddles

Bluebeards Castle - What is your experience?

Post by cuddles »

My husband and I have been offered the use of a time share in March 2009 at Bluebeards Castle. So far most of my research is showing me bad reviews, but most of those were written 2007 or earlier.

We would be interested in anyone's experience at Bluebeards Casle. Thanks in advance for your comments!
ShipwreckPat

Bluebeards

Post by ShipwreckPat »

We have been in the time share mode for about 25 years
and currently own two. As hard as it is to believe, they sometimes stack up from non use and we have done
an exchange to STT just to use and not lose.
Bluebeards is almost always available because of it's
size and age.

It would depend on which area of the resort the unit is located. The older section is showing it's age and when we gave the week to our staff to use as a playground, they came back saying that they were very glad they had not paid for it. Musty and views of the car park! One year we used it as our St Thomas overnight for an early flight as the exchange rate
for a week was cheaper than a night's hotel stay.
This was in the new section, facing the water and was very appealing if you like hotels.

There are 2 very good restaurants on property and the location is great if you want to experience Charlotte Amalie.PM if you want to discuss this more.
Pat
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

If it were me, I'd use it just to get to the islands. We stayed there for one night before heading to St. John in May of 07. The restaurants were great and the pool area actually had a great view. The rooms were clean, had some places where the baseboard was broken or missing and the shower was definitely aged. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it was free or very cheap, I'd go for it.

Nicolle
kma27

Post by kma27 »

We have our timeshare there and have been going for 10 years. It is indeed not a five star hotel but it has "charm" and for that we love it. No beach access has never bothered us because we love being near shopping and restaurants and the view from up on the hill is great! We just take our rental car and visit the beaches as we like. It is true that the older units that face Charlotte Amalie are somewhat "run down" (but clean) but not all of them. We have one of the new units that faces where the cruise ships dock and it is always fun to watch them come and leave. They have two of the best restaurants right on site. Parking downtown is at times a problem unless you go early, so we just walk and that too is fun. All in all we love the castle and I wish people would stop bad-mouthing it. Our unit even has it's own washer & dryer and safe and that is very cool!
Pia

Post by Pia »

I don't think people are bad mouthing it, I just think they are letting people know of their experiences so people can be informed and not disappointed in their choice for a vacation - it's good that you let people know the condition of your unit and also good that you included that some of the older units are "run down" - I think that's what makes a good forum, that people can be honest and not fearful that they might offend someone in their honesty.

OK, time for Pia to eat (you "old timers" here know what I mean by that :lol: :wink: :lol: )

Pia
USVISuzyQ

Post by USVISuzyQ »

I've been going to the Castle for about 15 years and have stayed in many different units. The newer section, Pirates Pension, is where my timeshare is located. Rooms are either studios w/partial kitchens or 1BR units with full kitchens (automatic ice & dishwashers too!), all have stack washer/driers. These buildings have views towards Yacht Haven and the cruise ship dock and are in good shape. Try requesting a room in this section when you check in.

The units on the west side of the Castle are older, and room condition varies. I've stayed in a studio unit in that section that had a fantastic view of downtown CA.

The Castle definitely has a unique charm and i've never had a problem during any of my stays.

Sue