Off topic: good book??

Travel discussion for St. John
psufan

Post by psufan »

I am a Jodi Picoult fan. Her books are an easy read and other than a few clunkers the storylines are very compelling. No, they aren't the trashy romance types but they do grab your attention. Several of her books made our last trip to STJ.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

RickG wrote:Whatever happened to the good stuff, like "The Story of O?"
Now THAT is not a title that comes to mind when I think of beach reading!! :shock:

I like to keep things light while reading on the beach too. I think I made all of these recommendations in the off topic thread, but here is a small list of some of the books I really enjoyed reading on the beach:

A Trip to the Beach, Bill and Melinda Blanchard
An Embarrasment of Mangoes, Ann Vanderhoof
Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen

And of course, Don't Stop the Carnival!

Right now I am reading Duma Key. It's the first Stephen King novel I have picked up since I got a concussion from reading Gerald's Game. It's actually quite good so far, and not too scary--yet, anyway.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Friday Night Knitting Club is an excellent book, but it's not light, whimsical beach reading. It did, however, make me wish I was a better writer. I don't know if they're going to make it a movie, but I totally want Amy Brenneman to play the lead character if they do!

I try not to read Nicholas Sparks on vacation. The Notebook was way too depressing for me. Good, but depressing.
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

For Laugh-out-loud light reading, I can't think of another author I love better than Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum series is the best you can get. It is technically chick-lit, but any of the men who read it love it, too. My husband grabs them as soon as I get them into the house. She has a some other books that are not Stephanie Plum, and they are good, too, but the Stephanie Plum ones are tops on my list. They all are titled with a number theme, each successive book goes from "One For..." on up to the current one, a fourteen. Check them out.
Kris
islandgirlstuckinVA

Post by islandgirlstuckinVA »

Lulu76 wrote:Friday Night Knitting Club is an excellent book, but it's not light, whimsical beach reading. It did, however, make me wish I was a better writer. I don't know if they're going to make it a movie, but I totally want Amy Brenneman to play the lead character if they do!

I try not to read Nicholas Sparks on vacation. The Notebook was way too depressing for me. Good, but depressing.

--I read somewhere that they are going to make it into a movie...i believe i saw that Julia Roberts was going to play the lead character? not 100% positive but pretty sure that's what i read somewhere...
*edit* found a link about it...seems like it's going to happen.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEneWnrnTrAlqw
http://blog.oregonlive.com/knitting/200 ... b_and.html
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

I LOVED "American Wife" by Curtis Sittenfeld. I bought it in the st thomas airport, and it made the dreaded trip home little less awful...
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

I loved Don't Stop the Carnival, I did however stop fantasizing about moving to STJ and having my own business! On our last trip I read Water for Elephants - not too large and easy to take to the beach - oh yeah, great read too!
Deb
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I am reading Don't Stop the Carnival now and love it! Before that, I read An Embarrassment of Mangoes and loved that one. A Trip to the Beach is great too. Along those lines, I wasn't as much a fan of Desiring Paradise as it spent too much talking about preparing to move and not enough time about being on STJ.

I liked A Pirate Looks at 50 alot too.

One of my all time favorite books is A Walk in the Woods and I keep telling myself I need to read some of Bill Bryson's books.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

I absolutely loved a Walk In the Woods! That is a great idea for vacation reading, I think I'll pick up one of his other books, I know there is one for Australia and maybe Europe? Don't remember, but I did really enjoy the one I read.
Deb
loria

Post by loria »

if you like a walk in teh woods you must read a sunburnt country --about his travels in australia--i read it while i was there and it is a real hoot!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
Jennifer

XOXO

Post by XOXO »

OHMYGOSH! I have already ordered so many books! Every time I see a suggestion I go to Amazon and I decide that I have to have it. I guess I can read a few of them when I get back, right??

I already have more than I need and I just went to see Jodi Picoult’s books and Nineteen Minutes looks too good to pass up!

Then I saw the suggestions for Stephanie Plum Novels and I don’t want to pass them up either.

So, you are doing a great job of making suggestions!! I am so excited for the airplane ride!! HAHHA My carry on is going to be heavy!!

Thank you!
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Gina,

19 Minutes is an EXCELLENT book! Sad and disturbing but very good. Great selection.
NancyB