For those who asked - another island option

Travel discussion for St. John
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Beautiful pictures!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Ken,

A number of years ago we did a day trip over to the Grenadines while staying on St. Lucia. It was amazing, undeveloped, stunning colors - just as your pictures show. That trip gave me the caribbean bug I now have. We haven't made it back, but just might have to!

Thanks for sharing - you're an awesome photographer.

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
jmq

Post by jmq »

Ken - as usuual, outstanding work.
Do you only shoot in wide angle?
Also, Pbase seems like it displays photos at much better quality than say flickr. Do you upload at full resolution and/or do they display at higher resolution?
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

JMQ, with regards to pbase.com. I like the hosting because you don't have to see silly advertising since it's a pay site of I believe 23.00 a year.

You can always upload the original picture and decide how it can be viewed. Maybe it can be explained more technically, but I'm not sure.

Some great photographers on the site also without, again the noise of ads.

Year 2005 I actually sold pictures off the site when they saw my carnival pictures. It was a media publishing company. Nice $500.00 surprise.

It is a great site.

PS. I think the ability to pick different backgrounds also enhances the quality of the pictures.

Play around with it during the 30 day free trial.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks, jmq. I shot some floral shots at 200mm, but nearly everything else was wide angle. When we left, I realized that we never got any pictures of people. And we met some great folks that would also have made excellent photo subjects. I guess we'll just have to return.

You load the pictures in Pbase at whatever resolution you want - but if you load HUGE files, they just take up space and make it a nightmare for folks to view. Most of the photos I uploaded with a max dimension of 900 pixels. This gives a good compromise between resolution and size, I've found. Pbase does a nice job with display, but the interface isn't simple. And I also love the lack of ads - they really annoy me.

Ken
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks, Tracy. I've also been to St. Lucia and you are right, it really is beautiful as well. We were only there for a day on a cruise, and I was surprised how BIG the island was. And how long it took to drive from one point to another! A little like St. John but the roads in St. Lucia were in MUCH worse condition with lots more traffic. If you like St. John, I'm betting you would like Bequia as well.

Ken
CShell1019

Post by CShell1019 »

It's been a few years but as soon as I stepped off the puddle jumper in the Grenadines and boarded a boat to our destination (Petit St. Vincent), saw the beauty and stood on the beach, my first words were "This is what St. John USED to be like." Not easy to get to but overnighting it on Barbados worked great since I got to explore there as well (and have their wonderful flying fish for dinners). Longer reaches between islands and maybe a bit more exciting sailing, great snorkling at the Tobago Cays - wasn't so great other spots. Quiet, beautiful, uncrowded. local populations friendly and welcoming. And you could look out and see other islands with no lights at night - just like St. John used to be!
Bluwater

Did you HAVE to share this? :)

Post by Bluwater »

Ok, so now the secret is out. I would have PAID you to keep quiet!!!!

It IS what the VI used to be. Not just Bequia, but also the other Grenadine Islands - Mayreau, Canouan, Palm Island, Union Island.....and all so close and can be traveled by mailboat (at least that is how my parents do it). Man, they have some kind of deep connection to this place...and have developed some kind of connection with a Catholic church down there...and a Priest that they adore and exchange letters with.

And, yes, all they can say is "it is what the VI used to be 40 years ago". They really love the people....say they are the sweetest, most generous, warmest people anywhere.

If anyone wants to try it, go now. I can't imagine it staying this way too much longer.

Especially since THIS board is now on the alert!! Can you see the BDFT (Broke Drunk Friends Tour) heading down there? I can......ouch!
Bluwater
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Actually, think this secret was out a long time ago...I've had clients going there for years. Clients, with time that is...quiet laid back and certainly a step back in time. The thing that stops us...is generally higher airfare...no flexible vaca schedule and $$$.

Great pictures...thanks!
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!