Eating out on a family budget

Travel discussion for St. John
muyfamily

Eating out on a family budget

Post by muyfamily »

Hi,

Week one with the work vacation is done. Ate at some amazing restaraunts including the Banana Deck, Paradiso, La Roma, La Tapa, High Tide, Chloe and Benards and the Beach Bar. St John's is an awesome island.

Now it's on to week 2 with family. We need to be a little more careful with out budget. Have any suggestions where we could eat where the food is budget friendly and/or the servings are large enough for a couple of people to eat off of each entree????

Your recommendations have been wonderful. Thanks :)
Pia

Post by Pia »

Try Uncle Joe's BBQ in Cruz Bay - large portions and cheap :)

Pia
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Uncle Joe's BBQ, Candies BBQ, Deli Grotto for huge sandwiches (both breakfast and lunch)--all mostly take out spots but plenty of food to share. Deli Grotto has tables and internet access. In Coral Bay, there is Big Belly Deli too. Their sandwiches are gargantuan!

Other (for St. John, anyway) cheaper places: Skinny Legs for burgers and grilled mahi sandwiches, Aqua Bistro (at lunch). Both are in Coral Bay. In Cruz Bay, I think the most budget friendly spots are Beach Bar, Woodys, Banana Deck, and IIRC the menu for the new place where Chilly Billy's used to be (I'm blanking on the name) looked very reasonable.

Glad to hear that you are having fun!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

did you see that Big Belly Deli is for sale? I'm not sure if it is open for business or not.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Big Belly was open last month when we were there. Good breakfast sandwich!

You can always carry out pizza from Cruz Bay Pizza Shoppe by the Beach Bar or Ronnies. It's decent pizza, not my all time favorite, but plenty good for a cheaper night to fee a crowd.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

and IIRC the menu for the new place where Chilly Billy's used to be (I'm blanking on the name) looked very reasonable.
I didn't know a new place opened up where Chilly Billy's used to be so I went hunting and found an article from June '08. The name is Jake's and they serve breakfast. It sounds very much like Chilly's right down to an omlette in a tortilla dish that sounds nearly identical to Chily's yummy Breakfast Burrito. I'm so glad! I nearly cried when Chilly's closed. We loved having breakfast on that porch.

Another reasonable way to eat well on a budget without having to cook is to visit the prepared food section of the market that was in the shopping area on the road to the to the Westin. They had wonderful meals as I remember but we didn't stop there last year so I am not certain it is still there.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

99, that was the Simple Feast, and it is closed. I remember on our first trip we stopped there almost every day for sandwiches, or salad greens, etc. They had a turkey sandwich with salsa on it that John loved. Every year after that it seemed to have less stuff on the shelves, and then it was gone.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Compass Rose at Pastory Gardens is reasonable. has mini golf too if your kids are of the age
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Big Belly Deli was open last week, I'm pretty sure.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

JJ's Texas Coast is also a good value as is Island Blues in Coral Bay. I still miss Polli's.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Big Belly Deli is still open :) and Jakes pancakes have to be the best on STJ :)

Another option is to go to Starfish Market in the take out dinner section - huge portions, great food and cheap, cheap, cheap :)

Pia
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Good tip, Pia. They have really good prepared food at Starfish. I've noticed that many of the locals buy their dishes and that's a really good recommendation IMHO. Their rotisserie baked chickens are very good. Their great for a meal or I like to cut them up and make chicken salad with them. Yum, I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

The rotisserie chickens were no more than what they are here. I thought the deli salads were a little pricier, but they were delicious.
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

When we were at Uncle Joe's in early November we noticed the portions are gettiing smaller. A local warned us but told us Candie's still has the larger portions. We are going to try Candie's next time for comparison.
muyfamily

thanks

Post by muyfamily »

We appreciate the tips. The rotissiri chickens do look good at Star Fish. We must get a really good deal on them in Iowa ($6.99 TOPS) vs. 12.99 here. Still, compared to eating out they are a bargain. We ate at High Tide last night. Split a chicken pasta dish with my daughter, it was great. Not necessarily the cheapest place to eat, but nice to eat close to the water and they had a live guitarist.

We hope to try BBQ Joes one of these days :). I see someone mentioned that Joes is serving smaller portions, perhaps we should try Candie's.

Susan :) [/img]