5 nights of eating out, where would you go? lunches?

Travel discussion for St. John
muyfamily

5 nights of eating out, where would you go? lunches?

Post by muyfamily »

5 couples on a corporate retreat. First night we are having catered in :) and need recommendations for the remaining nights? What about going out for lunch? I know we will be hitting the beach bar several times, my husband talks highly of the bushwackers. I've never been to STJ but I have been to STC.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I'm going to have to recommend JJ's Texas Coast Cafe for Bloody Mary's. Great body & flavor in that glass, there. Do yourself a favor, and don't exxagerate that you like it spicy, unless you mean it! They'll be making you wish they were served with a bowl of vanilla ice cream to sit in, about an hour later!!! :shock:
MoJo's cafe for unbelievable omelettes, and Uncle Joe's BBQ for the best lunch on island, if you ask me.
We missed Duffy's Loveshack on STT this year, and it's kind of a bummer. I love those sweet&tangy fiji wings! If you get a chance, convince your group to stop in while you are (if you are?) using the ferry at Red Hook.-Way groovy joint! (Did I mention the wings?!)
Aside from that, there's more than a few local drive-by kitchens that you might tend to pass over. Do yourself a favor, and stop in for a 'Johnny Cake.' Delicious! It took me the better part of 10 years to give it a whirl. Good stuff.
Best of luck, bring your bugspray-(I personally just ate Benadryl non-drowsy daily and wasn't bothered one single bit by ANY bugs. My guess is that the critters didn't enjoy the antihistamine, and left me alone!)-
Sunscreen, and "After-Bite anti-itch/scratch solution" which seemed to help those in our party last week.
Other than that, pack light!!!
And as always-
Smiles-
Jimmy
muyfamily

Mosquito Patrol

Post by muyfamily »

I already have a big bottle of Clariton packed for the trip as well as a bottle bug spray with deet. I remember my ankles being terribly bit up after our trips to STT and Turks and Caicos.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

muyfamily-
I just returned from my 9th(10th?) trip, and all I can tell you is that I ate benadryl everyday each week. Maybe bad for me?, I don't know.
No buggies, though.
I almost feel guilty with my Amy still getting 'no-see ums' flare ups...
Smiles-
Jimmy
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

lunches:
To go dips/salads and sandwiches take to beach
Wharfside bistro
J.j.'s
Miss Lucys brunch or lunch
Skinny legs. Or shipwreck landing
Dinners:
Hinds- Havnt tried it but. It's the chef from stone terrace
Latapa
Lime inn
Rhumblines
Chateau Bordeaux or paradiso
byado18

Post by byado18 »

For nIce dinners :
Asolare
Zozo's

Enjoy! :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

For lunch........Deli Grotto, Sun Dog Cafe, Shipwreck (Coral Bay)
For Dinner.........Sweet Plantains (reopening Dec 1st but don't know when you are coming) Chateau Bordeaux and ZoZo's (upscale) Shipwreck

Pia
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Wow---I wish my next corporate retreat were in St. John!

For lunches: Baked in the Sun (closest good takeout for sandwiches, salads): Deli Grotto; Lime Inn; Ocean Grill; Beach Bar.

For dinner:
RhumbLines (Asian); Lime Inn; Morgan's Mango; Waterfront Bistro; Zozo's.

Have fun!
---Jim
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We had all great meals in both of our trips to STJ.

We really enjoy the atmosphere and food at Shipwreck. We would hit it after snorkeling at Lameshur. I think its great for lunch or dinner.

We love Sogos in Cruz Bay for West Indian dishes. We always got fish and goat dishes (hubby eats the goat). Small place, definitely not fancy, but great food, and tropical juices. We got carryout several times and took it back to villa to enjoy the views.

We ate at one of the places upstairs in the shopping center at Ferry Dock. I wish I could remember name. Great food and Lime-n-d-Coconuts drink with a nice view.

Miss Lucy's is great for lunch with nice views and right on the water.

Like Morgan's Mango a lot for dinner.

Right now, I would enjoy eating just about anywhere in STJ.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I like to go to Woody's and Skinny Legs for sandwiches for lunch. Or I stop somewhere (Baked in the Sun, Starfish) and grab a sandwich for the beach.

As for dinner, we had a great dinner at Morgan's Mango, but we grilled on our pool deck a lot. This year, I want to try Lime Inn and La Tapa, based on others' recommendations. I also end up getting appetizers and sandwiches at the Beach Bar way too much!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

As the ideas and suggestions keep flowing in: please remember to call ahead for a group of 10 people - some of these places are small and it surely will reduce the waiting time or disappointment for your group.
patr

Post by patr »

Gosh - what a great corporation! I am sooo jealous!

Favorite lunches:
Banana Deck
Deli Grotto - get it to go & head for the beach!
Shipwreck - if you're out in Coral Bay

Lunch or dinner-
Lime Inn - love the lobster!
Aqua Bistro - nice courtyard atmosphere
Miss Lucy's - can't beat the waterfront location

Dinner-
Zozo's - great sunsets,
Chateau Bordeaux - fantastic view!
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

My personal favorites are

For dinner:

Sweet Plantains
La Tapa
Zozos

For lunch:

Miss Lucy's
Deli Grotto for sandwiches to take to the beach
Banana Deck
Aqua Bistro
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.