Celiac Disease and eating gluten-free on St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Thanks so much, I thought I was the only one that has this problem! It's so wierd. My husband laughs at me when I start sneezing and orders me a water, I'm always the designated driver in the family since I can't get through two beers.
Thanks again for the information.

Sandy
RickG

Post by RickG »

DCphoto wrote:I have a question for Rick or anyone else. I love beer, but can only tolerate a little bit at a time, not because I get drunk but after 2 beers I go into a sneezing fit and get stuffy. What causes it. Am I allergic to wheat. I can eat bread just fine, no problems only happens with beer. Is there something else I could be allergic to?

Sandy
Ditto on the ingredients, allergy tests are great things. Something to consider is that fermentation of maltose and other sugars by produce more than 800 different compounds (including histamines and other biogenic amines) in addition to CO2 and alcohol. I'm sensitive to some of the fusel alcohols and get headaches from beers like Karmeliet Tripel. It's worth getting tested.

If the problem is histamines or biogenic amines then a claritin taken ahead of time may be the right preventive.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Great! I'm going to try claritin, much cheaper than going through all the test at the doctors. After paying all the money they would just say don't drink beer!

Thanks!
loria

Post by loria »

DCphoto wrote:Great! I'm going to try claritin, much cheaper than going through all the test at the doctors. After paying all the money they would just say don't drink beer!

Thanks!
any doc who told me not to drink beer wouldn't be my doctor for very much longer! :wink:
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>