Celiac Disease and eating gluten-free on St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
MLS

Post by MLS »

Is there gluten in rye whiskey? Bourbon?
CaptainObvious

Post by CaptainObvious »

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to pop in and say hello...Xislandgirl pointed me towards this forum for info on finding gluten-free foods when we head to St John in a month, and what I have read so far has been helpful and very reassuring! It's nice to know that several other celiacs have survived for a while in teh islands without wasting away from not being able to find food. :lol:
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

welcome! any friend of XIG is welcome here :)
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Hellow and welcome Captain. I responded to your post as Hallie1 over there.

If all else fails, a hamburger without the bun is a good choice. The spouse says he got a flourless chocolate torte at Paradiso in July. Don't worry. You won't starve.

Let us know how your trip goes and what you find on your GF search in STJ.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Our most recent trip in June was the first time I had to eat gluten-free on St. John (I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March). I did pretty well overall but did get sick once.

The toughest part was figuring out stuff to take to the beach for lunch because in the past we’ve always taken sandwiches and I’m not a big enough fan of gluten-free bread to eat it for lunch every day (plus at around $1/slice, it gets pricey). So I made stuff like egg salad and ate it with a spoon and tuna salad with gluten-free crackers. We usually take food to STJ, but this year it was more important than ever because I needed to take along gluten-free stuff.

I had good luck not getting “glutened” at Morgan’s Mango (fish), The Lime Inn (prime rib), The Beach Bar (cheeseburger with no bun), and Cafe Roma (lamb…although the owner has since changed and it was the owner who was familiar with gluten). I did get sick once after eating at Shipwreck Landing…I had the ribeye. I get almost 100% of the time I go out to eat and have never had a problem…there is usually no reason for a restaurant to add anything containing gluten to a steak, but they added a funny BBQ type sauce (quite strange for a ribeye) and I got pretty sick. I didn’t think to ask if the ribeye came with a sauce because I’ve never had a problem before, and when they brought it for me I thought “uh oh!” but took a risk and ate it anyway and paid for it dearly.

So the moral of the story is to ask, even if you’re ordering something that normally wouldn’t contain gluten.

The only thing I willingly took a risk on was mango smoothies from the smoothie shack/hut….I absolutely love those things and I would have been devastated if I couldn’t have them…so I just made sure that the blender was clean and didn’t have anything leftover like cookies from a cookies and cream shake and thank God I never got sick.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Patty

Post by Patty »

I have not been diagnosed with celiac but am wheat sensitive so I have been following the gluten free diet for several months. While we were on St. John in July I just packed p-nut butter crackers (the diamond brand) and an apple for lunch to take to the beach. I had not tried to make any of the bread mixes at that point in time. We cook most of our meals in so restaurant choices weren't a problem. I have found that I really like the bionaire brand pastas and have baked the Bobs Red Mill bread mixes which I think are pretty good. My husband really likes the multi-grain mix. The celiacdisease.com website has a nice book for grocery shopping that lists a lot of gluten free brands. The book also says that liquor is distilled and is therefore gluten free...not beer, of course. It's a bit of a challenge but I sure feel better and my digestive track is much happier!!
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

MLS wrote:Is there gluten in rye whiskey? Bourbon?
MLS, bourbon and whiskey are no-nos. Both contain rye which contain gluten. Good news is rum is GF, at least as far as we can tell.

Our rule is no wheat, barley, oats or rye, i.e., NO WBOR.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
RickG

Post by RickG »

pjayer wrote:
MLS, bourbon and whiskey are no-nos. Both contain rye which contain gluten. Good news is rum is GF, at least as far as we can tell.

Are you certain about distilled beverages having gluten?? The distillation process rather removes everything but vapors of water, ethyl alcohol and other aromatic. Celiac.com lists all distilled beverages as gluten free. You can certainly add gluten post-dilution, but that's a different story, and bourbon and scotch by definition and statute have nothing added after distillation besides water.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

RickG wrote:
pjayer wrote:

Are you certain about distilled beverages having gluten?? The distillation process rather removes everything but vapors of water, ethyl alcohol and other aromatic. Celiac.com lists all distilled beverages as gluten free. You can certainly add gluten post-dilution, but that's a different story, and bourbon and scotch by definition and statute have nothing added after distillation besides water.

Cheers, RickG
I just checked that site, and indeed, that's what it says. Bourbon is bayer's favorite beverage, and we assumed it was non GF because of the rye. I'll give him the good news and he can celebrate on Saturday. We'll be at Keeneland, and now he'll be able to drown his losses minus any physical discomfort. Thanks for the tip.
loria

Post by loria »

http://glutenfreemommy.com/baking-glute ... eal-bread/

have you tried this site? I can't swear by it. but friends say it is pretty good and this is a recipe for gluten free bread--kind of labor intensive, but if you baked it and froze it, (to take with you) you might be okay for sandwiches?
celiac disease is a total bummer--
all the best--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

It's amazing what you can find to eat, when you are on a restrictive diet. Whether it be gluten free or something else.

Pete and I have been on a very restrictive diet for the last three months and we've been able to eat in restaurants and travel without too much difficulty. There have been times when we've been frustrated with the options available to us but, that's the way it goes.

For us: nothing but true whole grains (not as easy as it sounds), some fruits, extremely low fat meats, most fish and seafood, pretty much any veggie, no oil/butter/margerine except for olive oil or organic canola in limited amounts, etc...

Yes, it's a challenge but, it's doable. No matter where you travel or how you live at home (we have four kids that are sick and tired of not having things like mashed 'taters and gravy).

All I really want, all I really crave, is three bites off of a Big Mac. I don't need the whole thing, I just want three good bites. And, I'm sure I'd get as sick as a dog. That's probably why I haven't done it. Oh, and 17 pounds off (3 to go) is a good reason not to do it, too. Somehow, I figure if I cheat that big, I'll go straight back to where I was. Boom! Hello 17 pounds! Silly but true.

This diet has just become a part of our lives. It's not that hard, once you know what you can shop for and how you can make it work, even when traveling.

It's very similar to a gluten free diet and I am sure we'll find it easy to follow when we are in STJ this spring.

Oh Snap. You know what's not going to work? BUSHWACKERS. I have to have one or two or 30 of those during our two weeks down there. Dang.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Marcia, I find your kind of diet much easier than a South Beach style diet! There's something satisfying about the roughage that goes with whole grain. But, this approach seems to work much better for the males than the females in our household. Not a good thing.

On the celiac side of things, I've enjoyed a number of non-gluten beers lately. The sorghum-based beers are quite tasty. Green's, imported by Merchant du Vin, has some interesting and tasty gluten-free products.

You can also buy some good gluten-free brewing ingredients. Morebeer.com and Northernbrewer.com both have sorghum syrup.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

I have a question for Rick or anyone else. I love beer, but can only tolerate a little bit at a time, not because I get drunk but after 2 beers I go into a sneezing fit and get stuffy. What causes it. Am I allergic to wheat. I can eat bread just fine, no problems only happens with beer. Is there something else I could be allergic to?

Sandy
loria

Post by loria »

wine allergy is far more common (sulfites being the primary culprit)
not sure if this helps, but this is from the AAAI (the allergy folks)--

True allergic reactions following beer ingestion are uncommon. Beer may contain a variety of ingredients, including barley, corn, wheat, and rye that may precipitate an allergic reaction. People may experience worsening of their asthma, runny nose, runny eyes, and stuffy nose.

If you feel that you are experiencing an allergic reaction to wine or beer, find out all the ingredients that are present in the beverage. Then, visit an allergist/immunologist and undergo skin testing to the available ingredients in the beverage. If the skin testing is negative, it is likely that you are intolerant to wine and beer. If the skin testing is positive, you should avoid food and drink that contain that specific ingredient
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
CaptainObvious

Post by CaptainObvious »

DCphoto wrote:I have a question for Rick or anyone else. I love beer, but can only tolerate a little bit at a time, not because I get drunk but after 2 beers I go into a sneezing fit and get stuffy. What causes it. Am I allergic to wheat. I can eat bread just fine, no problems only happens with beer. Is there something else I could be allergic to?

Sandy
Sandy,
I have this problem too, with both gluteny and gluten-free beers. I have decided that it may be the hops, as it seems that the "hoppier" the beer, the worse the sneezing/sniffles get.