cottage rental advice

Travel discussion for St. John
deblar

cottage rental advice

Post by deblar »

We are a couple seeking advice on a cottage rental in the Coral Bay area in March. We are looking for a comfortable, clean cottage, nicely furnished, with a good view. Any recommendations based on your experiences? Has anyone stayed at any of the following: Astral cottage, New Moon, Just Enough, Bo Atabey, Tree Frog, Blue Caribe or Stonegarden Cottage? Any others that you recommend?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

deblar - Welcome to the forum! I can't recommend any of those cottages, but the owners of Bo Atabey and Blue Caribe are members of this forum, so they may reply if they see your post. Other forum members have stayed at most of those places, so stay tuned, I'm sure you'll get lots of replies! :D
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Also don't rule out a larger place. Sometimes those can be the same price as the cottages. In other words, on STJ, small does not always equal cheap.

Mostly these things are a matter of taste and what amenities are important for you.

Also, is this your first visit to STJ?

If so keep in mind that Coral Bay is SUPER quiet.

We like super quiet so it really suits us these days. But if you want to be closer to more restaurants and shopping you may want to consider staying nearer to Cruz Bay. Lots of options there too.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
CruzBayB

House of Open Arms

Post by CruzBayB »

My daughter stayed at A House of Open Arms in Coral Bay for her honeymoon and they absolutely loved it. It is not air conditioned but was built to be "green", and the air flow is adequate so they were never bothered by it. It has a fabulous view and back covered porch area and a private splash pool. Catherine, the artist that owns it lives in the upper level and rents the lower, completely private level and even provides pick up in Cruz Bay to lead you directly to the villa and has dinner for you when you arrive. You never see her again unless you want to stop by her studio.

I have pictures if you want me to PM you but they are available on her website, AHouseofOpenarms.com where you can see both the villa my daughter rented and the much smaller cottage that is available. The prices for this villa and cottage were fantastic compared to many other things on the island.
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
deblar

Post by deblar »

We looked at House of Open Arms, but unfortunately it is booked for March.

This will be our second stay on St. John and so we are familiar with Coral Bay.

I have been doing more research and seem to like Bo Atebay, Windwardside, Papaya Moon, and Island Cottage. Have any readers stayed at any of these rentals and can you give me your comments on your stay?
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We stayed in honeymoon cottage last year, and are going back in Apr. Perfect for 2. On Francis Bay. Secluded. Equal distances to Coral Bay or Cruz bay. Very convenient to North shore beaches. Terry the manager was great to work with. A/C, no pool, great view. Beautiful yard area. Hot tub, deck, gazebo, an outdoor bed. (As well as one indoors). We've also stayed in Harmony Suites in Maho Bay camps. View to die for. Built all "green". Maho camps activities close by. Only 400 some stairs to the beach.:) We would go there again in a minute if we didn't go in summer. No a/c, and I was too hot in the summer. Very simple kitchen area.Sm frig, 2 burner stove and microwave. Honeymoon cottage had a full, and fully equipped kitchen.
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

I have stayed at Windwardside Main and it was beautiful. The house is well equipped and clean, the views are to die for and the owner was a great person to deal with, very helpful. At the time we took our trip the owner was out of town and the greeter was also very informative and helpful. The pictures on the website were exactly what we were greeted with, no surprises. The only downside for some would be lack of tv - only movies on dvd. Didn't bother us a bit. Let me know if you need any additional info.
Deb
toni

Post by toni »

We've stayed at Sago Cottage, same ownership as Windwardside, and I think just down the road. From the pictures it looks about the same too. It was a great view, owner was fine to deal with and the price was nice. My only issue was we were there in February one year and it didn't get enough sun on that side. But that's the only thing negative and I'm sure is subjective.
toni

Post by toni »

edited-double post :oops:
Last edited by toni on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

We LOVED Astral Villa (there were 6 of us, so took both buildings). It is a wonderful place, clean, well equipped, comfortable, good views, but a very steep driveway. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

On our first trip to STJ we stayed at Calypso By The Sea. It is 2 bedroom with hot tub, no pool, but right on the water in Johnson Bay. Really wonderful if you're willing to go without a pool.

The in-laws love Stoneharbor, 1 bedroom + loft, screened porch, pool, walking distance to Cocolobo Plaza, good view of the harbor.
Jennifer

Pia

Post by Pia »

How about Coconut Hill Cottage - it got a great review on this forum and I must say the views are spectacular :)

Here is a link to the review and to the home (and at $250 per night high season imo a great value)

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/s ... 2021.shtml

http://www.vrbo.com/115186

Pia
deblar

Post by deblar »

Thanks to all who have provided information and suggestions.
Unfortunately Coconut Hill appears to be booked for March.
So far I am leaning toward Windwardside and Stone Harbor or perhaps Bo Atebay or Papya Moon, but we are still open to suggestions before we narrow it down. Please provide your experiences at these and other rentals.
Also, is it best to call the owner directly or deal with an agency? Can anyone recommend a good agency?
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

how about "st john livin'" ??-- it's managed by bookitvi.

http://www.bookitvi.com/livin.htm

i highly recommend bookitvi!
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

I found Windwardside Main on VRBO, so you definately rent directly from the owner and I don't think she uses a management company at all. I have also used Destination St. John & Great Caribbean Getaways without any issues. I don't know if they manage any of the properties you are considering, but if so - they were easy and pleasant to deal with.
Deb