Best / Worst Concerts

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jmq

Best / Worst Concerts

Post by jmq »

OK now that sherban made everybody have some concert flashbacks, maybe we can have some fun with the following:

> Top 3 Concerts

> Best Double/Triple Bill and/or multi-artist show/festival

> Worst Concert and/or Concert Most Sad to Admit Now that you went to

> Favorite Venue

> Least Favorite Venue

> Craziest Thing you've Ever Seen at a Concert
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

worst was probably the first Hornsby show I saw (with the Range). he was SO boring. but he got over it. he puts on a great show now.
a close second might be Carly Simon. she doesn't like public performances and it shows!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The worst was the U2 show we saw in Birmingham. Public Enemy opened the show, and they came out in Klan robes and proceeded to put a noose on and hang a mannequin dressed as Alabama's governor from one of the lighting poles. People in the audience got extremely angry and they were screaming and booing. It was really ugly. Then U2 came out and Bono was so drunk he could barely stand up. It was awful.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Top 3 Shows (or, most memorable)
1. Bruce Springsteen, 5th row center, Kean College, Union NJ October 13, 1976
2. The Who, 15th row Capitol Theater Passaic NJ Sept 1979 first tour after Keith Moon died
3. Talking Heads, Rutgers Student Center, right after their first album Talking Heads 77 was released, tickets were $1.50. Saw a bright creative spark there that these guys were destined for bigger things - David Byrne singing “Psycho Killer’ while standing on his tippy toes, and at end of the show apologizing that they couldn’t go on because they “didn’t know anymore songs”.

Fav venue: The Spectrum in Philly and Waterloo Village up in NW NJ.

Worst venue: CBGBs – grungy but exciting and even a little dangerous inside and out. The Bowry was a nasty place in the late ‘70s. Saw The Ramones and Blondie there before they broke big.

Worst show: Ted Nugent. Not a fan, dragged there by a friend.

Under another category, lets call it “Much Better Live than I Thought They Would Be”:
Fleetwood Mac; ELO

Yet another category, “Most Fun”:
The Kinks; Harry Chapin; Jimmy Buffett; The Smithereens
Connie

Post by Connie »

Top 3 concerts:
Kenny Chesney 2007 with Brooks and Dunn.
The Eagles Reunion Tour
Bruce - I always wanted to see him sing Born to Run just once.

Multi Concert:
Again, Kenny Chesney, he's amazing in concert

Worse:
New Kids and Tiffany for my daughter - LONG time agan. I think I could have killed every kid in there for their screaming.

Favorite Venue:
The Borgata with Peter Cetera - nice and small.

Least Favorite Venue: The Spectrum...stand in line forever ladies to pee.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
jmq

Post by jmq »

SJfromNJ wrote:Top 3 concerts:
1. One of the most memorable concert I attended was Meatloaf in early 1978 at Monmouth University. He rocked the place for three hours. The energy he put out was amazing. He did the whole Bat out of Hell album plus some cover songs.
2. Bruce Springsteen August 1978 opening night at MSG. He left nothing on the stage that night. 100% R&R full out earth shakin body quaking mind blowin rock and rolling musical assault by Bruce the E Street Band.
3. The Beach Boy 1976ish at Monmouth Park Race Track. Just a fun day with my brother and good friends. My brother wins like 3K . I won a couple hundred. We were teenagers, happy with fake ID’s and money. We loved The Beach Boys and they play all our favorite songs.
SJ - Loaf in his prime in a small venue when Bat was so hot? That sounds great. Melodramatic over the top great like only Meat could do.
And the Springsteen Darkness tour in 78? Saw him that August at the Spectrum 2-3 days prior to your MSG show, probably couldve been in my top 3 list too. The better quality bootlegs from that tour are amazing.
sherban

Post by sherban »

jmq- Boil the list down you say, tough order! I may edit my post a few times....so many memories...some lost.

Favorites-
I saw U2 at the Amnesty International concert in Atlanta ~1984...holy cow they smoked "Maggies Farm"... lit the place on fire I had goosebumps up my neck into my scalp during that song.

Michael Hedges was amazing in concert (Windam Hill guitarist) simply amazing. I saw him 4 or 5 times. Unfortunately he is dead now (car crash).

Wy wife and I saw U2 on their last tour ...that was alot of fun...we ain't dead yet!

Worst- Lenyrd Skynrd in the Fos was pretty bad...long after the plane crash.

My favorite place to see a concert is the Fox Theater in Atlanta

EDIT- One of the craziest things I saw (on the way to the concert (J-Geils)) was...we rented a van to drive from Gloucester to Boston...little partying on the way...and we are in the van and a friend says "I feel sick", next thing you know he opens the sliding door and falls out of the van at about 45 miles an hour...everyone was wired...and welll...we had to go to the hospital....you get the picture, what a freak show!

I have no worst place but I hate seeing a concert with "bad sound" this is usually due to where you are and how the sound was mixed...it isn't necesarrily the venue itself...took some audio engineering courses...
Peace-
Last edited by sherban on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

Hard to pick just 3 but Top 3:

Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep - McNichols Arena October 1975. I think BOC only played for an hour, but they were on fire from start to finish. Drummer Albert Bouchard and guitarist Buck Dharma were at the top of their games that night. Uriah Heep was almost as good.

Emerson Lake & Palmer - McNichols August 1977. Those 3 guys could really put on a show.

Yes - Red Rocks September 2004. Dream Theater led off, but they were nothing special. We had seats in the 4th row. My 4th Yes concert and they were all great, but this was the first time I saw them do Close to the Edge live. At Red Rocks no less. Now I can die a happy man.

Double Bill - Other than BOC/Heep show, probably Chicago and the Doobie Brothers last June. I was a huge Chicago fan until Terry Kath died and Cetera turned them away from the fantastic music of their first 3 albums. I didn't know what to expect but both they and the Doobies were surprisingly excellent. The two bands combined on the last 4 songs.

Double Bill - A close second would probably be Ambrosia and Jefferson Starship back in the late '70's. Ambrosia was outstanding and it was the last stop on the tour, so JS played for over 3 hours. Their roadies were swinging on ropes behind the stage like Tarzan. A great concert.

I'd like to include a new category, Double bill with a great band and a lousy one.

I have 2 candidates for this one. Cheap Trick and Kansas - McNichols January 1978. Cheap Trick was pretty bad and Kansas was awesome.

Saw Jeff Beck at McNichols in the early 80's. The first band was horrible and got booed off the stage. I don't even know who they were. Beck was great.

Worst concert: Probably The Police at Pepsi Center June 2007. I know Sting is a fantastic artist, but Pepsi's acoustics are lousy and Andy Summers kept having trouble with his wireless guitar/amp connection (just plug the damn thing into the amp Andy!).

Favorite venue: This one is easy. Red Rocks.

Least favorite venue: Pepsi Center. I don't care who's comin', I ain't goin'.

Craziest thing: probably the late singer David Byron of Uriah Heep doing bong hits onstage.
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

You can see my list in the other thread. The 3 best

1. Poco at the Concert for Peace at Shea Stadium 1970 They shook the house. Went to see them a few months later and they were flat as Jim Messina had left.

2. Johnny Winter And, at the Fillmore East same year.

3. Eric Clapton at the Garden for the From The Cradle Tour, went 2 nights in a row.

Fav Venue, even though I only went 3 times is the Fillmore.

Worst Probably MSG back in the day Saw the stones there in 69 and the sound was really bad.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

All time favorite concert - Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Concert at the old Browns Stadium. My daughters 1st concert and I had to make her go! Everyone was here, alot of greats and some not so great. But it lasted for 8-9 hours. Phenomonal!!

A close second (and I'm not sure this really counts as concert) was Southside Johnny at the Cleveland Agora (which would classify as a club) in 1978, joined by Bruce & the E Street Band after they finished their show at the Colisium. Southside is just fun when you see them live. They have a great time performing and it shows. You can find clips of this show on you tube. Good memories!

3rd - Pink Floyd or the Who, tough choice. Good seats for both, big stadium shows, Floyd has great lights and effects, but it's hard to top Pete Townsend on the guitar windmills.

Worst show - Rush 1980, Colisium. Just not a fan and dragged to the show with my girlfriend. Best thing about the show - she paid for it.

Favorite venue - the old Agora (gone now). Like the House of Blues or some of the old theaters downtown (The Allen, The State), all small venues, a little more personal.
Deb
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

Here's hubby's faves:

Harry Chapin, Tom Chapin and Pete Seeger at the Westbury Music Fair

John Denver at Madison Square Garden

Ray Charles at The College of Charleston during Spoleto

I can't think of a concert that blew me away; however, I saw Phantom of the Opera about 4 years ago on Broadway and when that particular Phantom sang "Music of the Night", I cried. It was beautiful.[/u][/url]
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Best performance - Yes (as embarrasing as it is to admit it), years ago I was a HUGE KISS fan, and I have to say that they have put on the best concerts I have ever been to because they entertain you. SO I guess for entertainment purposes, KISS was the best concert I have been to (all of them).

Sugarland just put on an awesome show a couple of weeks ago too.

Worst that I ever saw was Billy Idol - a friend dragged me to it and it was boring as all get out.

Favorite Jazz Fest Performance...always Jimmy Buffett

Most Memorable Experience - Bruce Springsteen's performance at the first post-Katrina Jazz Fest...I think tons of the crowd (including myself) had tears in their eyes cuz Bruce had toured the devastation we were surrounded by and got that that Jazz Fest was an escape from it all before we had to go back to it. We were just so happy to be back home and Bruce really did an amazing job of it. I will NEVER forget being there that day.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Best- Jimmy Buffet at Fenway Park.

We had seats on the field (!!!) and had pictures taken in front of & touching (!!!) the Green Monster.

From my seat on the field, I could turn around and look at the thousands of people in the stands cheering and singing... man, it was just wicked awesome.

It was sooooooo fun and memorable.

And, of course, he sang "Sweet Caroline" and wow...
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Oh goodness, this is hard too.

Best concert: Bob Seger. Hands down. It was awesome.

Worst concert: Who said Lynyrd Skynyrd? Because they are bad. It's right up there, but there was one that my friend and I went to about five years ago. I don't even remember who it was, but it was a country band and it was awful. We just wanted it to end. It might have been the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but I cannot be sure. I drank heavily.

Best venue: The Ryman. The Mother Church of Country Music. I love to go see the Opry there in the winter.

Worst venue: Tootsie's Orchid Lounge. I know all the legends play there. KC played there last week. But I hate that place. It's filled with tourists, and the people who work there are jerks. I've often said if God called me and said: "I'm having a special one-night show where I resurrect Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Keith Whitley and special guest Waylon Jennings, but it's at Tootsie's," I would not go.