Best / Worst Concerts

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
augie

Post by augie »

Top 3 shows (this is tough!):

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - summer of '74. They played for four hours, did some acoustic stuff, some electric stuff, each had a short solo set - it was awesome. Only could have been better if they'd included "Southern Man" in the set.

The Who in 1982, because I was such a huge fan and it was the first time I'd seen them live. They were touring to support the "It's Hard" album. The next time I saw them the set list was better, but Pete had hired a kid to play all of his solos. :shock:

The Johnny Winter set at Tampa Jam in '75: ZZ Top headlined this eight band affair, but all day I kept hearing people say "I'm here to see Johnny". Once he played, I understood, and I've been a fan of his ever since. We left halfway through ZZ's set...

Best Double/Triple Bill and/or multi-artist show/festival - the aforementioned Tampa Jam

Worst Concert and/or Concert Most Sad to Admit Now that you went to:

The drunk Aerosmith set at the Lakeland Civic Center in early '78.

Favorite Venue: I really enjoyed Jazz Alley in Seattle - intimate and comfortable.

Least Favorite Venue: Probably the worst was the old Orlando Sports Stadium, which was an aircraft hangar during WWII and had been used for all kinds of events since then. Dirty, old, not air conditioned, and built with zero regard to acoustics - but I saw some great acts there when I was a teenager!

Craziest Thing you've Ever Seen at a Concert: I'll probably remember something better than this, but there was a girl at the Stones concert in '75 that was admonishing everyone to get up and dance during the opening act - the Atlanta Rythym Section. She partied and danced hard through their set, as well as those of Rufus, The J. Geils Band, and all of the music played through the PA between sets. However the heat and everything else caught up to her and she passed out cold 10 minutes before Mick and the boys took the stage. She did wake up in time for the encore!

Double bill with a great band and a lousy one: The band that opened for Boston was Starbuck or something like that (their hit was "Moonlight...feels right") and they were booed mercilessly and had stuff thrown at them their whole set. The dummies even came out and played an encore (except for the lead singer who stalked off during their last song when a paper cup hit him in the face) while the entire audience chanted for Boston.
Come see us!
sherban

Post by sherban »

augie wrote: The Who in 1982, because I was such a huge fan and it was the first time I'd seen them live. They were touring to support the "It's Hard" album. The next time I saw them the set list was better, but Pete had hired a kid to play all of his solos.
Augie- That's gotta be the same Who tour I saw. I caught it at JFK stadium in Philly...really enjoyed it too. Pete was still doing some windmill action at the time. I'm pretty sure that Santana opened for them and I thought the Clash was there too but my brother doesn't remember seeing the Clash. Anyhow- glad I saw them then, it was a good show! I think I still have a T-shirt, maybe the openers are on it....
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
sherban

Post by sherban »

SJfromNJ wrote: Sept 1981 JFK Rolling Stones
As the Stones take the stage and fire into Start Me Up, a couple on the field strips nekkid, breaks out the body paint, paints each other up, and dances the entire show.
SJ- I went to these two Stones shows back to back, by myself both days...you always see some stuff at these shows! My brother was going to PENN at the time so I was crashing at his apartment between shows :D

They were fun shows, good weather, good music...etc...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:53 pm.