Carry on vs checking bags

Travel discussion for St. John
Robbin

Carry on vs checking bags

Post by Robbin »

ok I see alot of questions about carrying snork gear,is it a big thing to check bags or what? Because it seems no one whats to check bags.
Rocken Robbin gets her dream Honeymoon vacation in the Virgin Islands
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I will carry on my snorkel gear along with a change of clothes and my bathing suit, then I'll check the rest of my stuff. If it never shows up, at least I haven't lost hundreds of dollars worth of snorkel gear, and I have enough clothes to get by for a few days! :D
Connie

Post by Connie »

If it's just 2 people, you can make it all with carryon. Husband carried the snorkel gear in his duffel bad, along with his clothes. I had a small roll bag with my clothes and toiletries. I also had a bag with our tickets and a small pocketbook. Husband had a very small collapsible cooler with some frozen food.

They only thing we checked in was beach chairs, which we left down in STT with friends. They were worth the $15.00.

Be aware, when I got on the plane, my small roll on didn't fit anywhere, so they had to put it on as checked luggage. The planes are SO full now, that it's a toss up as to whether you'll get your carry on on the plane.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Connie, When they put your small roll-on as checked luggage, were you able to pick it up as you exited the plane or did you have to go through the whole luggage carousel thing?
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Last week, I packed very lightly and was able to fit all of my stuff in a roller bag that met airline regulations. This was nice, because we left the airport and just got in a cab and didn't have to wait in baggage claim with everyone else for who knows how long to see if our stuff arrived.

Funny thing, I packed a lot less this time than last time, mostly stuff I'd worn last year, and I STILL didn't wear half of it. I think as long as you have a swimsuit and a cover-up, you'll be OK. :D

I just don't like to risk it with checked luggage. I checked on the way back, though, and it all went fine, so that's good.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Robbin-- to answer your question-- there are generally two philosophical differences at play here.

Some believe in packing less, no risk of luggage getting lost, and being able to just grab a taxi asap to get to the ferry on time and make it to STJ as quickly as possible.

Others, like myself, want to pack what I want to pack, check the bags, and don't mind waiting a bit for the luggage to come off the plane. I also (knock on wood) have not had a problem with lost luggage (of course I have now permanently jinxed myself!).

Personally I'd rather have what I want and need with me in my checked bags rather than shipping stuff down or buying liquid prods like shampoo, bug spray, SPF etc. I'd love to bring less stuff, but I just can't seem to do it.

The new weight regs with the airlines has forced me to seriously think about what I bring and I definitely stay within my weight limits so as not to pay extra. But with the new regs they are now charging even for the first checked bag hence the push to do carry on only in order to save time and $$$.

Me, I don't necessarily mind checking my bag and factor in the cost of the baggage fees when I book my tix these days.

So, to sum up: do what you gotta do. There are plusses and minuses to either approach.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Many people prefer to be able to walk right off the plane direct to the taxi and off to STJ! Can't say I blame them.

I am in Gromit's camp. I don't like to do laundry and repeat wearings in the tropics don't work for me.

Also, I can't stand being in a bathing suit unless I am at the beach. I know some people can wear just a bathing suit and cover-up all day but not me, I change into clean dry clothes as soon as we get to the car.

Add to that we travel with a young child so getting off the plane and such is a slow process for us no matter what.

I use the luggage waiting time as an opportunity to have a drink and take the edge off of the travel day.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Amen PA girl!! I do the same thing. Can't STAND to be in a wet bathing suit all day. YUCK!!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I want to do carry-on so I don't have to wait for checked bags. I also hate lugging a lot of crap around and hubby's back in bad enough as it is.

With so many toiletries being made in 3oz packages and the fact that I always wear the same three outfits everytime I go, I'm doing carry-on this time.

Dirty clothes can be soaked in a tub with a small amount of detergent or laundered in Cruz Bay while we sit at a bar and have a coupla drinks.

The only thing that might make us have to check or not bring at all is our snorkel gear but I might try to carry it on anyway. It's really lightweight.

As I get older, I find that I pack everything I own when I go away. It was getting kind of ridiculous. I want to lighten the load a bit- see what I can/can't live without. Maybe I'm going through a midlife crisis and trying to get back to my backpacking through Europe days :).
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

LysaC wrote:As I get older, I find that I pack everything I own when I go away.
This made me laugh! I think I need a carry-on just for all my prescriptions alone! LOL! Getting old really sucks! :lol:
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I loved not having a lot of luggage this time. And now that I know I can get most everything I need at Chelsea Drug (sunscreen, spray aloe, etc), I will probably just carry a backpack next time. lol.

I probably could now if big girl's clothes didn't take up so much room! :shock:
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Hey LuLu-- try size 11 shoes like mine. Hell my size 11 flip flops take up half of a carry on bag!!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

speaking of big girl clothes...

went to dr. for annual check-up and found out that i need to have a baby now "or else" and that i'm fat.

my blood pressure was perfect though. awesome.

i also ordered a new bathing suit online and it's a little snug but i think it's supposed to be cuz it's one of those "miracle suit" things. it squished "the girls". that ain't no miracle. i like my girls and they shouldn't be squished.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Shoes are part of our problem too. Hubs wears 14/15 so even one extra pair (in addition to the ones on his feet) take up a lot of room.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I agree with you on that, Lysa. If being big didn't mean having a nice rack, there'd be no benefit to it at all.

Size 11 shoes is bad, but you should've seen me stuffing my two pairs of replacement shoes into that carry-on with all my new t-shirts and souvenirs. Fun times.

I need to lose weight too. (My BP is not OK, but just a little high.) It's just so hard. And I don't really mind my weight (except my knees hurt a little), but if I hear one more person say, "She'd be a beautiful girl if she'd just lose weight," I may go to prison. I'm beautiful now.

Anyhow, back on topic: carry-on only? It's good, but more challenging if your clothes are bigger. If you wear a small size, it should be no problem at all.