California Fire Photos

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

California Fire Photos

Post by California Girl »

My friend in Santa Barbara sent me this link to 45 pictures of the Tea fire in Montecito, which is just south of Santa Barbara. The photos are devastating and #38 and #45 are particularly horrifying. So sad...so so sad.

http://www.newsday.com:80/news/nationwo ... otogallery
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Can I ask a dumb question (remembering that I have been cut off with the outside world for more than a week)? Why do they call it the "tea fire"?
loria

Post by loria »

Wow. that's just horrible.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
California Girl

Lulu76 wrote:Can I ask a dumb question (remembering that I have been cut off with the outside world for more than a week)? Why do they call it the "tea fire"?
Not a dumb question at all.

"The conflagration in Santa Barbara County - dubbed the Tea Fire - broke out Thursday at 5:45 p.m. in the Tea House, a historic and defunct tea cafe in the hills of Montecito. Driven by the area's famed twilight-hour "sundowner winds" with gusts up to 90 mph, the fire swiftly tore through thick stands of eucalyptus and oak trees and into nearby Westmont College and surrounding mansions."
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

So much destruction!

When these homes are built back, is there any way to make them fire resistant?
California Girl

Yes, there are new construction techniques now that weren't available when a lot of those homes were built. Montecito is a very old area with big mansions built back in the 20's, 30's & 40's in come cases. But as long as homes are surrounded by trees & dry grass there's not too much you can do. Even if a person clears the brush around their house, in winds like these, embers are blowing through the air, so a house can still catch on fire. In the case of Montecito, there are a lot of eucalyptus trees. Gorgeous trees, but they burn like crazy! When we buy firewood, we try to get eucalyptus because it burns so hot.
Terry

Post by Terry »

CA,
Are the reports true that this one was set by some younger youths at a party site that they frequented?

If so, I hope they find those youths.
California Girl

I haven't heard that, but it sounds logical. I have heard, however, the mobile home park in Sylmar where 600 mobile homes burnt to a crisp is under investigation for arson.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Terry you actually heard correctly. The area where they believe the fire to have started was a known hangout area for teens.

Even tho' you see most of SoCal as an overgrown urban area, you can pretty much drive to secluded canyon / mountain areas within one hour. Probably even less.
linne

Post by linne »

How terrible to experience such a fire.
I'm feeling so sorry for the families who lost their homes. I know it's only "dead" things, but it still must be hard. Last night in TV we saw an elderly couple, who has lost everything. But they were brave, said that they still have the memories.

Linne
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

When I was in 6th grade we had a hosue fire and lost everything. There were some injuries, but nothing that some time and healing didn't cure, but the feeling of total loss is very hard. I don't have baby pictures or the stuffed bear I slept with since birth. It is a devastating loss and I am sending my thoughts and prayers to everyone affected.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:02 pm.