Dog Advice

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nancy_B

Dog Advice

Post by Nancy_B »

To all the dedicated pet folks on this forum, I need your advice. I have a wonderful 12 1/2 year old yellow lab named Lager. He is very slow but other than that he is in good shape. Everyone who sees me walking him says 'wow, what an old soul'. He is super attached to me and he loved his dad, my other dog, Foster who died 2 years ago (they used to lay on the same dog bed and sleep together). We have always known that when he passes away, we would rescue another lab. Well, my mom called me this a.m. and a neighbor of mine passed away and they are looking for a home for their 2 year old yellow lab. Now, I'm in a quandry. Would you subject your 12 1/2 year old senior dog to a puppy? I will certainly have them meet to see how they like each other. Any advice? Similar situations out there?

Thanks for your help!
NancyB
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I'm a cat owner, not a dog owner, so I don't know if this is good advice or not, but it seems to me that introducing a younger dog into your household would give Lager a new lease on life. He's probably been lonely since his dad died and I think he would welcome a new companion. He might not be able to keep up in the "romping" department, but he'll have some fun! Go Lager!
lisak428

Post by lisak428 »

I agree with CG. Of course, as long as the 2 yr old respects Lager's senior status and doesn't jump all over him. It's funny, though, they really do seem to get it. I have a 5 yr old black lab and my neighbor had a 14 yr old black lab (just had her put down this summer) and my dog treated the older dog like a grandmother!!! She would come from underneath and lick her chin. It's like she knew that she was older and more delicate. That being said, my neighbor rescued a Cairn Terrier and brought him into the house with a 13 yr old lab, and they did fine. I really think Sammy (the senior girl) really enjoyed the company. So, I say, if the personality of the 2 dogs is a match, then go for it. After all, dogs are pack animals.
Good luck and let us know!
Lisa
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

From my experience with dogs, every dog is different in any given situation.

Saying that, I think you should bring this 2 1/2 year old to your house for a trial run.

Your old man just might become puppy-like again and be happy to have a companion. I've seen that happen.

Most likely, Lager will be able to put the new guy in his place and teach him to respect his quiet time and all will be good.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and you'll know it within a week or two. But it's worth a try.

I would also strongly reccomend obedience training for the new guy so he learns to respect you as his new owner.

Good luck!!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I would do an introduction and see how it goes. Remember, that an energetic 2 year old may be a trial for the oldster.

We had a grandmother lab in our neighborhood. Up until the day she passed she was happy to see our gazelle-like 2 year old male who was not at all gentle. She could take about 5 minutes of that.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Chet

Post by Chet »

I'm a cat owner, not a dog owner
Kindred souls of the feline persuasion...multiples are always better than one, but only if space and sanity is not a consideration. Growing up in the country we exerienced life with give-aways or rescue critters - upwards of 8 dogs, 15-30 cats, 6-10 horses, etc. They all got along and played, ate and slept together. Get the dog. Lager will thank you.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

As a dog person, I say get the dog. It will be great for Lager to have some young blood around and great for the new "pup" to learn from a seasoned ol' timer.

In most cases you will find that Lager will set the ground rules and be the Alpha dog and the new dog will learn some great lessons from his big brother.

It is amazing how well they communicate and I swear that our 2 sit around the house during the day sharing stories and tips on how to get more treats, etc.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

But how will LizARD handle the situation :) ?

I am glad to hear he survived his move north!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

I have to agree with the posts that recommend you introduce the 2 of them and even try a trial run. They will let you know how they feel about each other practically from the start. We are greyhound owners and know that they benefit from a companion. I feel certain that if we were ever down to one of them we would have to "chip" and get another. A neighbor who got their first grey was so impressed seeing our 2 together that they "chipped" and got a buddy and it resolved alot of issues the first dog had. I think they really NEED a friend!

When we got our first greyhound we had an older cocker spaniel who was slowing down. She greeted her w/ open paws and I think it added a few years to her life. Before she died we got the 2nd grey, and the 2 of them helped her enormously as she lost her vision and became totally blind. They actually helped her when she would get "lost" in the back yard. I'd tell the greys to go out and "find" her and they would help her get back into the house. They are pack animals and they work out their order. I can't imagine ever just having one again!

I'm anxious to hear how you make this work out so keep us posted!
loria

Post by loria »

there seems to be a fair amount of consensus on this one and i would agree--see how they do together--my brother had the wonderful lab max--who was getting aged and having difficulty getting around--enter the wonderful yellow lab puppy arnold--Max spent his last months as a younger dog........
i am about to cry i miss max so much...
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Thanks everyone for your great advice so far! I totally agree that having 2 dogs is great. Lager was so attached to Foster (his dad). When he passed, we were really uncertain how Lager would survive without him and we thought he wouldn't last much longer but here he is 2 years later and he's still hanging in there. He is the alpha dog so I'm certain he would put the 2 year old in his place. I do also have 2 cats so I'd have to make sure a new dog doesn't torture them and of course, as PA Girl mentioned - a St. John LizArd (who will not even notice a difference, I don't think). By the way, I live in a row house but would never use that as an excuse to not bring in another. I have parks nearby and a beach house where my labs used to love to go swimming (but don't do as much because of his age). I'm going to call the guy later today when he's available so I'll keep you posted.
NancyB
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

loria wrote:there seems to be a fair amount of consensus on this one and i would agree--see how they do together--my brother had the wonderful lab max--who was getting aged and having difficulty getting around--enter the wonderful yellow lab puppy arnold--Max spent his last months as a younger dog........
i am about to cry i miss max so much...
Loria, I totally understand...I want to cry just reading this - we LOVED Foster - he was the greatest dog and we miss him so much. I look at Lager now and I TREASURE each day with him because I am realistic and know he won't be here forever. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of them so I could show you them both. I'll try to do that tonight. My husband has photos in snapfish and I think that may work.
NancyB
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

We have two Weimerauners...Baron is 11 and Gunner is not even a year old. When Baron was about 2 he was hit by a car...the older he gets the slower he gets...a couple of months ago a guy my husband works with told him he had a 4 month old male Weimerauner (Gunner) and his wife didn't like him...they were the dogs second home...I told my husband "tell him we'll take the dog..." he said "we haven't met him..." I said "how hard could one more Weimerauner be..." it was the BEST decision for Baron and our family. Gunner has changed everyones lives for the better...the fact that the dog you're considering is 2 is GREAT...hes already learned some manners and there won't be potty training involved...You may see your older dog a lot more active once a younger dog comes in to the picture...I say go for it...
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Thanks, piscesgirl! This gives me hope. Lager was stepped on by my husband at 3 months (he was walking both dogs at the time and they got tangled around him) and underwent 3-4 surgeries to reconstruct his front left leg (crazy story of mis-diagnosis that led to his growth plate being broken and his foot turning outward and then reconstruction). He is very arthritic and he also has lower back problems - he is SLOW! He does have his moments of 'puppy' like behavior so this may be a good thing for him.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this goes.
NancyB
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Sure thing Nancy B. Baron has been through a lot as well. The Vets never thought he'd be able to wag his tail again...I call him our miracle dog...I have so much respect for dogs after seeing all that he has been through...I KNOW when Baron leaves us we will have to get another Weimerauner to fill in the void for Gunner. Hes always known life with Baron at this point...so...hopefully we can get an "older model" puppy like we did with Gunner. Please let us know how things go and what ya'll decide to do... :D