Best Virgin Islands Hot Sauce?

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Best Virgin Islands Hot Sauce?

Post by RickG »

Well, we love Jerome's in our household for it's great flavor. St. John Sun Times did a hot sauce tasting with some of our other favorites. Miss Anna's garlic habanero is pretty darn fine too.

http://stjohnsuntimes.com/node/569

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

I picked up one of the "homemade" hot sauces (the curry one) from Shipwreck Landing because it was so wonderful. I couldn't bring it home since I actually accomplished carry-on on this trip :shock: , but my good friend Karen agreed to mail it to me. I am the Queen of hot sauces and can tolerate "hot" on a whole different level. Always looking for a good find. Rick, hope you and Christine had safe and uneventful travels home. Thanks again for sharing in the beautiful sunset, it being the only one we had all week. Thanks to John and Amy and Jorge too for the invite and hospitality. Until next time.... Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Love that curry one from Shipwreck! Tastes great on lots of things, even hot dogs :lol:
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I personally am not a hot sauce user/lover but my DH is and his favorite STJ sauce is Jolly Dog. He claims you can't beat it for flavor and he has tried lots and lots of them, believe me. Jolly Dog gets his vote.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

B-as-u-r, your hot sauce will be on it's way in about 30 minutes! :D
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

I love Matouk's West Indian Flambeau Sauce! I know it's not made in the VI (Trinidad & Tobago, I believe), but something about it brings me back to sailing in the BVI...
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

My vote also goes to Jerome's. I LOVE the stuff!!
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Trinidad Charlie has my vote...both the Original and the Key Lime are equally good. try them on fish, you won't regret it!
brenda

Post by brenda »

We like the Scorned Woman hot sauce that Ruth sells at St John Spice. I wish I had a bottle to see where it is made but unfortunately I am out. I have some shopping to do! We also like the Baron hot sauces made in St Lucia. They have a "red" and a "yellow" and practically serve it like mustard and ketchup on St Lucia. The yellow with straight tomato juice makes a great spicy Bloody Mary. I'm going to revisit Jerome's and probably Trinidad Charlie's thanks to KC. They don't stand out as faves right now, but really, my husband is the hot sauce junkie. I don't like them so hot that they don't have flavor. We just bought one locally that was so hot that it had no flavor and just killed the tastebuds.
Going "home" again October 26th!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

My favorite is the one at Shipwreck!!!! I crave it when I am not there, that and Carib!!!

Actually totally off topic but two nights ago I actually dreamt I was drinking Carib down there and trying to figure out how to get a case home!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

Trinidad Charlie's West Indian Sizzle, love that curry flavor. I tried it at Margarita Phil's and had to run over to Ruth's for a bottle.
Try it on swordfish with Cruz Bay Grill Rub.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Hubby likes Jeromes. I like it too, but in small doses. My favorite is Trinidad Charlie's Pumpkin Pepper Sauce, although there are plenty of others mentioned that I haven't tried yet.
Image[/url]
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Jerome's is good. And I love Montouk's. But my Fave is the hottest one that Shipwreck Pat's sister makes and they sell there. Ruth- do you sell it too? I need to buy some and have it shipped, since I wasn't able to make my scheduled trip last week. May is too long for me to wait!
brenda

Post by brenda »

http://www.maherconsulting.com/3dives/index.htm

Check out this website from Jamaica. This place is excellent and they have a homemade sauce called Granny Sauce. It's pretty much jerk based but is oh so good. We brought some home in an I'm sure previously used water bottle :roll: . We figured there was enough acidity in that bottle to kill anything. If we ever make it back to Negril, this will be a must do. I poured the garic butter for the lobster onto the callaloo. YUM!
Going "home" again October 26th!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED