Undecided Voters

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
sherban

Post by sherban »

Linne- Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your opinion. I care what people in other countries think, and many other Americans do as well. When the war in Iraq started I would tune into BBC every night to see a different angle on things....realizing (of course) that England is an "Allie" of ours. But I didn't want to just see the US news...it was too biased for me. Thanks for sharing your views.

Maybe new leadership will help us get to the "next level" in globalization...
Cheers-
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

sherban wrote:Linne- Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your opinion. I care what people in other countries think, and many other Americans do as well. When the war in Iraq started I would tune into BBC every night to see a different angle on things....realizing (of course) that England is an "Allie" of ours. But I didn't want to just see the US news...it was too biased for me. Thanks for sharing your views.

Maybe new leadership will help us get to the "next level" in globalization...
Cheers-
Hey Sherb...I hear you on that. I suspect you and I are on different sides of the political spectrum...But similarly to you, I have always found it interesting to listen to the other side's POV. So, while it's true that I listen to the Laura Ingraham's of the world, I also find value in listening to guys like Bob Beckham, Thom Hartmann, Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller - and yes, I even listened to Al Franken before he decided to challenge Norm Coleman in MN. My wife asks me, "why do you even listen to/watch this?"...My response is that I want to be sure I'm not missing something - And for my value set, I have found that I am not. Nonetheless - good to listen to it all!

And a quick question for you in my most non-confrontational tone...What does "the next level of globalization" mean? Conservatives like me have nightmares of one world government with one world currency.

I have always understood "globalization" to be more of an economic term rather than a political term, no?
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
linne

Post by linne »

I have always understood "globalization" to be more of an economic term rather than a political term, no?

Soxfan- you often "google". Have you tried to google the word "globalization" :?:

Linne
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Hey Linne -

With all do respect, I'd love to hear your interpretation of the term, "globalization".

My "google" button is broken.
loria

Post by loria »

i am not going to presume what Sherban meant,

but in my mind globalization refers to the fact that our world is getting smaller and smaller, our economies our inextricably bound (see the current economic crisis if you need proof). In addition, we are all citizens of the larger global community and responsible to that community--so yeah, our per capita greenhouse gas emissions matter--and not taking action on that matters-
Our posturing as Americans matters as well. I think in a smaller planet we need to be more aware of the consequences (intended and unintended) of our foreign, domestic, military, and other policies . we need to be better citizens of the world (as do others) Bush's my way or the highway policies have really given us a bad name in many places internationally---

like i said, I DO NOT presume to speak for Sherban, but thought i would ad
my two cents.
which today is probably worth, 0.5cents!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
sherban

Post by sherban »

soxfan22 wrote: And a quick question for you in my most non-confrontational tone...What does "the next level of globalization" mean? Conservatives like me have nightmares of.
Sox- Yeah, fair question...I knew it could be misinterpreted as soon as I wrote it...the joys of "virtual communications"...

I did mean it to be similar to the Wikipedia defn'....I meant globalization to mean..."becoming succesful globally, rather than just locally"...what-ever your Defn' of success is...

Globalization (or globalisation) in its literal sense is the process of transformation of local or regional phenomena into global ones. It can be described as a process of blending or homogenization by which the people of the world are unified into a single society and function together.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
loria

Post by loria »

SJfromNJ wrote:
loria wrote:i am not going to presume what Sherban meant,

but in my mind globalization refers to the fact that our world is getting smaller and smaller, our economies our inextricably bound (see the current economic crisis if you need proof). In addition, we are all citizens of the larger global community and responsible to that community--so yeah, our per capita greenhouse gas emissions matter--and not taking action on that matters-
Our posturing as Americans matters as well. I think in a smaller planet we need to be more aware of the consequences (intended and unintended) of our foreign, domestic, military, and other policies . we need to be better citizens of the world (as do others) Bush's my way or the highway policies have really given us a bad name in many places internationally---

like i said, I DO NOT presume to speak for Sherban, but thought i would ad
my two cents.
which today is probably worth, 0.5cents!
Some questions:

Which country is the greatest emmiter of greenhouse gasses in the world?

Which country has the lowest standards for environments controls in the world?

Which counrty has the lowest standards for worker safety, and average nine deaths per day in their coal mines?

Why didn't the Democratic leadership in Congress listen to McCain two years ago about the impending problems with Fanny and Freddy?
SJ,
i assume you are talking about CHina, but whatever
we should aspire to be nearer the top of these lists--we should lead in decreasing emissions. worker safety (oh, and do;t tell me that we do)
but whatever,
I am not going to change your mind.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

sherban wrote:
soxfan22 wrote: And a quick question for you in my most non-confrontational tone...What does "the next level of globalization" mean? Conservatives like me have nightmares of.
Sox- Yeah, fair question...I knew it could be misinterpreted as soon as I wrote it...the joys of "virtual communications"...

I did mean it to be similar to the Wikipedia defn'....I meant globalization to mean..."becoming succesful globally, rather than just locally"...what-ever your Defn' of success is...

Globalization (or globalisation) in its literal sense is the process of transformation of local or regional phenomena into global ones. It can be described as a process of blending or homogenization by which the people of the world are unified into a single society and function together.
I'm right there with ya in terms of world markets, free trade (in most instances), etc. I get that - the world markets are forever linked.

Where that definition loses me is with the word "homogenization". Just being honest here...I have no interest in "homogenizing" our culture, our freedoms, our traditions with the rest of the world. And I wouldn't think they would want that either. I have always that that differences in culture and traditions are what make this world interesting!

I just think our cultures define our nations...Look at Iraq, for example...They have history on that very piece of land that nobody in the world has...Formerly Mesopotamia, Alexander the Great sojourned through there and fought the Persian Empire there...You have the history of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon there, one of the original seven wonders...I mean, nowehere else on Earth...Those things are all woven into the fabric.

Maybe I'm taking it too far, but when they say "single society", that's where my mind goes. Where does it stop? How long before we have a universal currency? How long before customs and traditions (which are really what hold society's together) fade into obscurity?
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

SJfromNJ wrote: How about the last question. Swing and a miss?
I can answer it..

'Cause they was gettin' paaayyyed.
linne

Post by linne »

Hey Linne -

With all do respect, I'd love to hear your interpretation of the term, "globalization

lloria and sherban have explained it to you, I agree with their explanations!

For me globalization also is the posibility to influence China to take care of the environment.

Our prime minister have just visited China, because next year Denmark will be the host for a world conference about the environment. His visit gave a positive result. At least with words. The Chinese leaders promised to be more focused about the problem- to be a country which develop very quickly and at the same time not to damage the environment.

Linne
sherban

Post by sherban »

I was on MSNBC this morning and saw this....thought it was relevant to the discussion with Linne...

Nothing new here, just thought it was relevant...sort of justifies why Americans are sometimes "self focused"...a good excuse, I think I will keep this one....ha-ha-ha! :wink:

Due to the preponderance of U.S. economic, military and cultural power, U.S. elections have a far greater impact on people outside the United States than foreign elections have on Americans.

“There is quite a lot of interest in American politics … so that people feel a personal stake in which way the election goes,” said Stephen Casey, a professor at the London School of Economics and an expert on U.S. foreign policy and public opinion.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:53 am.