Undecided Voters

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi Terry! I'm glad your trip and your conference went well! :)
Terry wrote: "There aren't any Joe Sixpacks flying the Space Shuttle, and for good reason. It requires proven technical knowledge, hours of experience and uncommon learning to be any good at it. And while that guy (or gal) may be a barrel of laughs and a "really good person," I want the person steering that billion -dollar spacecraft to be the best there is, and I'm sure the others on board would, too.
I agree with that 100%, but I also want the Joe Six Pack working on the shuttle engines to be the best mechanic there is, too! It takes a whole nation of people who are the best at whatever it is they do to make that Shuttle fly.
Terry wrote:By dumbing down our expectations of leadership and not demanding that those in power be amoung the best and the brightest, we all lose."

I might not agree with the choice of candidates running for office, but I feel confident that they are definitely among the best and brightest (even if McCain did graduate the bottom of his class) or they would never have gotten this far to begin with. I think both Obama and McCain are very smart men.
loria

Post by loria »

hi CG, I hope you forgive my intrusion --

i agree with Terry, I can;t understand when it got 'chic' to be , for lack of a better term, uneducated or not so bright. I want my president (and my vice president)
to be educated--really well educated, and SMART. I also want them to be good listeners and know when they are wrong or don't have all the answers.

I have read several articles that describe John McCain's 'my way or the highway' attitude and his explosive temper. these are from friends/colleagues who served with him in the military, in the senate, etc.
Bush has this same 'my way or the highway' attitude, and has ridden roughshod over the world--the foreign policy consequences have been disastrous.--I don;t want that in the next president.
I also don't want a hot head--and McCain has a real reputation for being a hot head.
yeah, i am a democrat and i believe that Obama will bring some change to the table and if it costs me a bit more, well, then so be it.

we live in a much smaller world--we cannot afford to think and act without taking the world view into account--and GWB hasn't done that.
I believe that Obama will bring a more considered world view to the table and i believe he will surround himself with people who are intelligent and will listen to them.

I don't think that McCain will, and to have an angry man a the helm, makes me more than a bit scared
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Terry

Post by Terry »

CG: I do see the world and the US from a totally diffent prospective. We have so far to go. As a scientist...it's impossible to make the USA understand where we are compared to where we can be. We have a long way to go. I simply can't explain it. Maybe Linne can understand it,...she's done a good job so far.
California Girl

Terry wrote:CG: In respect for you...I've obviously stirred up some rumble here and will leave.
I don't see that you stirred up any trouble, you just stated your opinion. I believe the "rumble" started with a shot across your bow by SJ...
SJfromNJ wrote:Sounds like you went to a grab ass session wth a bunch of smart people.
I think that's a completely inappropriate comment.
SJfromNJ wrote: Sorry CG, but I don't stand for this crap anywhere.
I understand, but I don't want this to become "that" kind of thread.

As far as I'm concerned, I've already said too much anyway. Certainly more than I ever intended to. And I'm still undecided.

Margo, out! :D Have a nice weekend everyone!
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Loria and Terry -

Have you ever read the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"? You should flip through it sometime.

BTW...Just out of pure curiosity...Did Anthony relinquish moderation duties to CG? Just askin...
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Terry

Post by Terry »

Sox:
Time is ticking.  Good evening to you, may you sleep well.
California Girl

soxfan22 wrote:BTW...Just out of pure curiosity...Did Anthony relinquish moderation duties to CG? Just askin...
What's it to ya? :roll:
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Terry wrote:Sox:
Time is ticking.  Good evening to you, may you sleep well.
not sure what you mean by that?

and i sleep fine, don't worry about that!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Terry

Post by Terry »

Sox
You are young and of course wouldn't understand.

I do have one question for you...

You stated on one thread that you beat out some that were let go in your business. I hope it's not a medical company that just layed off 7,000 folks and you are still employed. That surprises me in the fact that you are on this thread 24-7 with your comments and if I were your boss, I'd be more than concerned with that. The internet hides no secrets.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Terry wrote:Sox
You are young and of course wouldn't understand.

I do have one question for you...

You stated on one thread that you beat out some that were let go in your business. I hope it's not a medical company that just layed off 7,000 folks and you are still employed. That surprises me in the fact that you are on this thread 24-7 with your comments and if I were your boss, I'd be more than concerned with that. The internet hides no secrets.
I do not work for that company, but thanks for your concern.
Terry

Post by Terry »

sox
You need guidance. You are off in the wrong dircection. Where are your parents?

And your employer has no idea that you don't work for them during your day hours.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

sox
You need guidance. You are off in the wrong dircection. Where are your parents?
Well terry, since you asked...My father passed 15 years ago, when I was 16. My mother and I are very close, and she tends to be conservative as well. However, more than half of my family (aunts and uncles) will vote for Barack Obama on Tuesday.

I think Terry, that if you took a walk outside of your liberal world for a few minutes, you would see that there are many people who have the same concerns about BO as I have. I suspect you will see that on Tuesday. Like I said, he may win, and I will respect the office as a good American should.

If your "direction" is one that takes money from those who produce and give to those that don't - then I'm good, thanks.

If your "direction" is appeasing the world, including those who have publicly announced their goal is our annihilation - then I'm all set.

If your "direction" is one in which we give $800 billion in tax dollars to the UN to fight worldwide poverty, while we have plenty of needs here at home (Detroit, New Orleans) - then I'm good, thanks.

If your "direction" means supporting someone who started out identifying "the rich" as anyone who makes $250k or more, then $200k or more, now $150k or more (thanks Joe Biden), and even now down to $120k or more (thanks Bill Richardson) - then I'm all set.

If your "direction" means that I should support abortion, even when statistics show that it is OVERWHELMINGLY used as a means of birth control, well then, I'm good, thannks.

If your "direction" means we should increase the Estate Tax (death tax), a tariff that actually taxes people's money twice - then I'm all set, thanks.

If your "direction" means that I should support raising corporate taxes, which will only lead to increased job loss and higher prices - thanks but no thanks.

If your "direction" means blidly supporting a man that the media has not asked one solitary tough question of in two years - I'm good there too.

If your "direction" means supporting a man who will not admit that the surge in Iraq has been successful - I'm okay, thanks.

If your "direction" means pulling out of Iraq (whatever you think about us being there in the first place - we have killed or captured MANY high-level Al-Qaeda) in surrender - I'm good with that too, thanks anyway.

If your "direction" means I should support a candidate who thinks that the "upper class" is anyone who makes $90,000 or more - then I'm REALLY ALL SET. Thanks.

All that, and I haven't even gotten to:

Ayers
Dohrn
Wright
Pfleger
Khalidi
Farrakhan
Or, the fact that he has an aunt who lives here illegally, in a slum

And your employer has no idea that you don't work for them during your day hours.
Well, if that were the standard, you could say that about a lot of people around here. I believe it was Lex who raised this point last week. You however, only choose to call the conservative on this. Typical.
loria

Post by loria »

sox, you do realize that where khalidi is concerned that McCain gave him, oh, about 800,000 and then some.

GROW UP.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

loria wrote:sox, you do realize that where khalidi is concerned that McCain gave him, oh, about 800,000 and then some.

GROW UP.
Why don't you do some research on this before you post, instead of just taking up the DNC and Olbermann's talking points?

McCain was part of a group that needed to poll the attitudes of Palistinians about elections, democracy, etc. Khalidi, at the time, was the PLO's press guy. There was nobody else they could've gone to for the information.

He did not "give money" to Khalidi.

McCain did not go to a "going away" dinner for Khalidi.

Obama, on the other hand, sat at what even the LA Times wrote was a pretty anti-Israel dinner with the man. All I want to know is, when the girl read the Anti-Israel poem - did Obama get up and walk out? And if not, why?

Maybe when I become your ripe age, I too will be able to look past these things that just don't pass the smell test.

I thought liberals always promoted "questioning authority"?