DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DELETED

Decision Time. Beware Voting Question

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

While I don't agree with everything you believe in, I still don't know who I'm going to vote for. Rick & I are going to the mall to vote this weekend, so I'll have to decide pretty quick.

I'm never in favor of war, but I have no answers or opinions about how we should get out of this one. It just needs to end.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Jorge, my honest thought is that many Americans have forgotten about the war, and instead are not spending because of Wall Street. Layoffs, reduced home values, the credit freeze and the volatile market has people on edge. The "R" word has finally been confirmed (even though I think it started months ago) and many people are throwing the "D" word around cavalierly.

Just look at the news coverage. I've read that reporters in Iraq and Afghanistan are having a hard time getting the major media to run their war reports. Sarah Palin's wardrobe, Obama's grandma and the figurative bloodshed on Wall Street are the top stories these days. I wish it were different, but it's not.

I think we're screwed until the banks start lending money again. Will ending the war help that? I honestly don't know, but I don't think the war got us here. The general consensus is that WWII is what ended the Great Depression, so wars aren't always bad, economically speaking.

Can Obama really bring our troops home? Time will tell. If he gets elected, I wonder if he'll be privy to info he doesn't currently have that may change his mind on that.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

These are just my thoughts on the subject and not meant to offend anyone. I appreciate your thoughts above Jorge and the fact that you are putting thought into who you are voting for. I have two big concerns with Obama and the war is one of them. I'm actually afraid he will attempt to bring our military home in a way that could put everyone at risk. I hate this war and pray constantly for those who are fighting for our country. On our flight home this week, we had a whole unit on our flight into KC that was just finished serving in Iraq. I thanked them profusely as we waited on our luggage. However, I believe the withdrawal of troops has to be done in such as way as to protect those we've been helping and protect ourselves. I do feel McCain's military background will help in this respect.

Lastly, today, I was told by a friend who works for the Secret Service that traditionally, presidential nominees provide their own security until they are actually elected President and then they are assigned secret service. Obama has somehow been able to obtain Secret Service since before he was the actual democratic nominee. Therefore, instead of his security being privately paid, it's been provided to him, but yet this isn't getting media attention.

I have no way to prove that this is true at the moment, but my friend has no reason to lie. Just wondered if anyone else had heard this little piece of information or has something to dispute it's validity!

It's going to continue to be an interesting few weeks and I'm just glad when I hear people truly researching who they are voting!

Nic
hugo

Post by hugo »

I wouldn't think there's too much connection between the war and the economy, although I have suspected that one of Cheney's personal reasons for starting the war was to distract everyone from what was really going on.
I am not particularly an Obama lover, but look at the alternative!!!!!
Anyone who cares for the human race, and the mind-bogglingly wonderful planet we are lucky enough to live on, can not support the party that is now synonymous with "Screw everything except people just like us ". McCain has been right there for almost all of it.
loria

Post by loria »

I am with you hugo. and I am voting for Obama...however, i am probably further to the left than just about everyone here.
just wished i could vote in Ohio or PA

oh and Nic, just to clarify --actually it isn't unusual for the major candidates to have SS coverage--and it is vetted by members of congress and paid for by the taxpayers. so presumably obama and mccain have this (there was an article in april on the fox website about this) maybe your friend was referring to thefact that ss coverage was provided to some earlier than usual?
Last edited by loria on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
MrB

Post by MrB »

Nic in KC wrote:Lastly, today, I was told by a friend who works for the Secret Service that traditionally, presidential nominees provide their own security until they are actually elected President and then they are assigned secret service. Obama has somehow been able to obtain Secret Service since before he was the actual democratic nominee. Therefore, instead of his security being privately paid, it's been provided to him, but yet this isn't getting media attention.
Nic...is your concern that the candidate has possibly been threatened at this early stage, and therefor would be an unsafe pick? or that the taxpayers are paying for it?

As for the media not covering it...I found 6 out of 10 top articles in a Google search "secret service candidate" about this. Maybe because it happened so long ago, it missed your attention in the media.
Last edited by MrB on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I think that the war has played a part in our economic crisis because soooo much money has been put into the war. It's costing millions of dollars a day to be over there. I'm not saying we need to come back tomorrow, but we can't stay there indefinitely and I heard John McCain say with his own mouth that we need to be there for a long time. Longer than his life time, and longer than many of ours. We can't afford to do that. And I skimmed the headlines today and saw the Iraqis have a huge financial surplus while we are going in the tank to help them. I'm just not sure that's a good idea.

As for the secret service, in another life I worked on presidential campaigns. I am not sure why that secret service person told you that both candidates hire private security because I've never heard of that. Obama has had threats on his life, did request protection and that protection was approved by a bipartisan committee of members of Congress and Homeland Security officials. I'd much rather pay Obama to stay alive than for someone's $4000 jackets (my jacket cost $30 at Old Navy), but that's just me being a bitter, liberal hag. I have, however, with my own eyes seen Secret Service agents protecting Governor Palin, as well, so I think that's a non-issue.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Its interesting that Colin Powell reflects the polls that are indicating that the choice, especially for some Independents, centrists, and undecideds, seems to be less about policy, ideology, race, lack of experience, etc., but about temperament.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Lex

Post by Lex »

Let's not forget that there are two wars. One, Iraq, possibly winding down and one, Afghanistan, perhaps just building up.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I haven't exactly been discreet with my crazy, liberal ways, so it might not surprise anyone here to find out that I have been a member of Pax Christi since I was a teenager and I believe we should focus on non-violent peace-keeping.
Last edited by Lulu76 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Jorge,
Nicely put. It's a tough decision.

I'm voting Obama because I cannot vote for the same policies that we've had for the last 8 years. I gave the Republican party a 2nd chance 4 years ago and I seriously cannot do it again with all the failing policies, the war, economy, etc., etc.,.....I cashed out my 401k years ago and bought property. Maybe a bad choice, but hoping the market will pick up some day.

Good luck with your decision.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »