DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DELETED

Grand Canyon

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

Hi wishwewerethere,

We stayed at the Grand Hotel. It was nice, reasonably priced, and their restaurant was good. If you Google Grand Hotel Grand Canyon they have a website.

We hiked the Bright Angel trail partway down. We were there in late February and it wasn't very crowded, but we got snowed on. Since we are from Colorado, that was no big deal. We were only there for a day, so I'm sure others can give more details on the canyon.

TS
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I love the North Rim. The lodge there is awesome and they also have little cabins. The views from the North Rim aren't quite as spectactular because of the way the canyon is shaped from that angle, however. The North Rim is also closed part of the year due to snow, but I can't give you the dates.

After spending 3 days at the North Rim, we drove over to the South Rim, which is much more "touristy". Although the views are absolutely breath taking, there are tons more people and it's more crowded.

Whatever you choose, you're going to have a spectcular time!
Lex

Post by Lex »

We spent a couple of nights on the south rim of the Canyon a few years ago. It's spectacular. Like Teddy Salad, we hiked down a ways on Bright Angel Trail and wish we'd had another day to hike more. The canyon is impressive from the rim, which is where most people stay, but we got a whole different experience going down into it. We also got up early each morning to see the sun rise over the canyon.

There are a few lodges in the national park managed by the same people:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

Some are right on the rim, others a bit further away (maybe 1/2 mile). We stayed at the Yavapai Lodge, which was fine, but away from the rim. They book a ways in advance, so we took what we could get, but would have preferred one of the closer ones. Some are great old buildings, others are fairly modern. There are several restaurants right on the rim.

We were there in late September, which was a good season. Early mornings were pretty chilly (you're at a high elevation), but the day warmed up without ever getting too hot (the deeper into the canyon we went, the hotter it started to get). I think I'd want to avoid both summer and winter there.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

We would also like to spend some time there. Is Xmas time to cold? Hope some more people chime in here!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I might be wrong, but if the Grand Canyon is anything like Yosemite, in the spring and early summer the waterfalls & rivers are running real good because of the snow melting and running off up in the mountains. In the fall, everything's kind of dry so the waterfalls aren't quite as spectacular. Also, in the spring you would probably get some good wildflower action.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:30 am.