30 days to go!

Travel discussion for St. John
Peggy the Planner

30 days to go!

Post by Peggy the Planner »

First off, I must admit I got sucked into the weather situation, worrying about the conditions for my upcoming trip. I quickly became worried for those of you there. Thank God, it sounds as if St. John was spared. Now, I can begin to do some serious planning.
We will be staying at C'est Bleu villa, in Virgin Grand Estates. There will be 10 40ish adults. I have been to St. John 4 times, but still need help from the pros.
1. Planning to have dinner delivered for arrival evening. Last year (on St. Thomas) we had dinner cooked in, but were surprised by the costs ($100 per head, before booze). Dinner delivered with Katilady is $56 pp. Anyone use them? Do delivered dinners hold up?
2. Can we buy liquor at St. Thomas airport?
3. Looking for Catamaran for JVD day? Can anyone recommend Calypso? Also, heard about Tango, but not sure they go to BVI's.
4. Any last minute restaurant recommendations for a group this size. I think I read Stone Terrace closed.
5. Planning to use Ocean Runner boat to travel around the island. Should we hire a captain?
I've gotten in the habit of checking this web site (like the rest of you knuckleheads) just to hear about all of your adventures. It really is half the fun. Thanks, in advance, for your help!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hey Peggy! I can only help you out with one of your questions... booze! :lol:

Yes, they have a very good liquor store at the airport, and although I've never bought booze there, I've heard tell on the forum that the prices are good. :D
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I hear the airport prices are good, but don't remember them being any cheaper than on St. John, so if you are not renting your car on STT, I'd just pick my booze up at Pine Peace or somewhere like that.

On the way home, I always stop at AH Riise on STT, because they pack it up real nice for me for the plane.
sqd

Post by sqd »

Hey-we stayed in C'Est Bleu in May with a group of 10 (really more around 50 yrs old each of us)

Used Katilday twice for delivered meals (were able to talk her into doing 2 entrees since we had 10 people). Wonderful food. Also used her for provisioning and for breakfast. We ordered the pu pu tray for arrival.

Used Calypso for a sunset sail. wonderful. We were going to using Captain Kevin for a private charter to the BVI's (he is about the only one that can take 10-can't remember the name of his boat, but everyone on here knows him) but about a few weeks before, our group decided market conditions weren't looking too good so we cut back a little on the $. We ended up taking New Horizons Charter and it was not private. This was probably not a good idea, We would have had more fun on the private.

We did have a private driver all week, Sonia Innocent. You supplied her wonderful open air truck. You can hire her through Kristen at St. John Ultimate Villas. You just go direct, but she will have Sonia's number. I highly recommend her. it was pricy, but about what you would spend on cabs for the whole week and a little more than more you would spend for enough cars to cart everyone around the island. Plus, this is a biggee for us: we drink...probably too much and we just didn't want to drive and drink. So, it made sense.
Loved the house.....totally beautiful. Be sure and bring a good Ipod base. We didn't....Everything as awesome.

Restauarants had not problem with us. We ate at Waterfront Bistro (wodnerful), went to Caneel for lunch. Ate at Lime Inn for lunch. Ate at la Tapas. We are at the Balocny (just ok) we had reservations for all places, except for the lunch.

One day, after the BVI trip, we just ordered takeout at Joes and had Sonia go get it for us......

Sonia was the best. if you hire her, tell her Susan from Georgia said hello....
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Welcome Peggy! Capt Kevin is from Born to Rum. He is AWESOME! We used him for a group of 7 this past May and our friends loved him so much, 5 of them went out again the next day. I will always have a captain when we go out - who wants to be the responsible one in your group?

For dinner, we love ZoZo's, La Tapa and Rhumblines. For more casual, Cafe Roma and Lime Inn are among our favorites. We've travelled with large groups on several of our 14+ trips so I always recommend reservations.

Have an amazing time - your villa looks wonderful! We've stayed in Virgin Grand and liked the location and the views.
NancyB
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

1. Planning to have dinner delivered for arrival evening. Last year (on St. Thomas) we had dinner cooked in, but were surprised by the costs ($100 per head, before booze). Dinner delivered with Katilady is $56 pp. Anyone use them? Do delivered dinners hold up?

ANSWER: Agreed this can be pricey but you're paying for convenience. Christy's also does a good spread. http://www.christysofstjohn.com/

2. Can we buy liquor at St. Thomas airport?

ANSWER: Yes. But why haul it any farther than you have to? Just go to Pine Peace as previously suggested--

Hey guys-- is Mixlogy still delivering? If so, this would be IDEAL for a group your size. You can order and have it DELIVERED!!

3. Looking for Catamaran for JVD day? Can anyone recommend Calypso? Also, heard about Tango, but not sure they go to BVI's.

ANSWER: Nothing specific to give you here other than go private as your group is large enough to manage it-- you could probably get something pretty decent at a great price. And you can design your own itinerary.

4. Any last minute restaurant recommendations for a group this size. I think I read Stone Terrace closed.

ANSWER: Just about anywhere will be OK. But I have to ask, is everyone going to want to be together the entire time? I usually find that some "alone time" is occasionally warranted to keep everyone sane.

5. Planning to use Ocean Runner boat to travel around the island. Should we hire a captain?

ANSWER: YES!! Unless you are very experienced with ocean boating I would highly recommend getting a captain. There's lots of stuff out there that can get you into to trouble and it can cost you some serious money if you make a mistake. If you plan on sticking close to shore then just get a Dinghy.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Peggy the Planner

Post by Peggy the Planner »

Thanks for all your help. You people are a WEALTH of knowledge. How can I find this Captain Kevin and Born to Rum. No luck with a Google search. Keep the good stuff coming.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Here you go, Peggy! (but it looks like it's off-season for him, according to the dates on the website. I'd still check to be sure, though!)

http://stjohnlinks.com/Charters/BornRhumb/index.htm

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:58 am.