Bosses' Day

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Nah, it was Tuesday. I agree - it's a Hallmark holiday.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

VickiH wrote:What did I get for Boss’s Day? Yesterday...nothing. Today, I find a bag with a ribbon on my desk. I knew I was in trouble when I tried to pick it up and the handle fell off. What's inside? A hand drawn card, two pamphlets on substance abuse in the workplace, a used pedometer that someone wrote #1 Boss on with a Sharpie, an old civil service jar opener, a bag of stale pretzels, 4 pieces of candy that are so gummy they are stuck together, a Food City value card, 3 marbles, and a used emery board.

Does this mean:
1) They know me well enough to know that I hate those made up holidays and that I didn't even KNOW it was boss's day.
2) They are cheap asses.
3) They are forgetful.
4) They hate me.

I am going to go with #4 and fire them all.
Nah I just think they know you really well and have a great sense of humor. I recall the T shirt gift!
linne

Post by linne »

CG wrote:
I really don't think too many people "celebrate" boss's day. My personal opinion is that it's a holiday made up by the greeting card companies to sell more stuff to people!

So was I thinking when the Danes began to "celebrate" Halloween. Just some people, who want to sell some stuff, and the way to do it is to take over a custom from another country. The same with Valentines day.

But it's so difficult to resist, particularly Halloween. It's funny for the children, and more and more pumpkins are sold here every year.

What about the grown-up people. There was a post about Halloween, where it seems, as if they celebrate it too?

Linne
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

linne wrote:CG wrote:
I really don't think too many people "celebrate" boss's day. My personal opinion is that it's a holiday made up by the greeting card companies to sell more stuff to people!

So was I thinking when the Danes began to "celebrate" Halloween. Just some people, who want to sell some stuff, and the way to do it is to take over a custom from another country. The same with Valentines day.

But it's so difficult to resist, particularly Halloween. It's funny for the children, and more and more pumpkins are sold here every year.

What about the grown-up people. There was a post about Halloween, where it seems, as if they celebrate it too?

Linne
Halloween parties for grown ups are popular, much in the same way that mascarade parties are popular in Europe for celebrating New Years. I have noticed in the past few years more and more parents put on costumes and take thier children around to " trick or treat" which is the custom where children go door to door and collecting treats.
linne

Post by linne »

Hi Sailorgirl!

So funny that the Americans take over an European custom too. It's a global world we are living in :) .
I'm not sure, how it is in the other European countries, but this custom you mention, we call "fastelavn" (Shrovetide?). It takes place in February. We have never used it for New Year. When I was a child, we went around every year. Most places we got money, and we often bought flowers to our mums for some of them.

Today it's very seldom we see children go around from door to door. I cannot tell you why, but many old customs seem to stop one day.

Linne
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Linne - In these "modern times" not as many children go door-to-door any more. A lot still do, usually accompanied by their parents, but since some crazy, mean people started putting dangerous items in some treat bags, parents began to find other things for their kids to do on Halloween.

There are church parties, for one thing. And the shopping malls sometimes sponsor a Halloween "Trick or Treat" day where the kids go from store-to-store to collect "safe" candy and treats.

It's too bad that Halloween had to become that way because we always had SO MUCH FUN trick or treating when I was a kid and we got TONS of candy!
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

CG, here in the barrio of Van Nuys, we have lots of kids.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

We used to get at least 100 kids at Halloween, but now I'd be surprised if we get 20. Sad. :(

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:16 am.