Westin Preview/Sales Pitch

Travel discussion for St. John
BeachMan

Westin Preview/Sales Pitch

Post by BeachMan »

Anyone ever do the Westin preview/sales pitch? The wife and I are considering it as we would kinda like to look around the Westin...for comparison:) 90 minutes tour and sales pitch for $125 in "sand dollars"...good for dinner and such around town.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

We did it in Sept 2005 when we stayed at the Westin for a few days prior to our November marriage on Gibney. We thought 90 minutes was worth the "Sand Dollars" and the free meal we got at the resturant at the Westin. The Sand Dollars paid for a car for two days, so it worked out rather well.

The condos were O.K. that we looked at, but every one of them were decorated in contempory or "modern" decor, and we thought if you own a condo or timeshare in the caribbean, it should have that caribbean decor. Besides they were not on the beach, or even near enough to one to see it. So we were not interested.

Bottom line, we thought it was worth it, but then again, we were staying at the Westin, so we were out a minimal amount of time for the sales pitch.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Hi, we did the timeshare tour and did get a discount on our trip to Virgin Gorda. We did buy the 3 bedroom pool Villa. For us it made sense to buy since we like to go every year. The maintence did go up this year, which was kinda unexpected. Are we totally happy, somedays yes, others no. At the time we had a lot of equity in our home and thought it would pay for the timeshare when we decided to sell. Well, we all know what happened in the housing market. On the other hand, we love the pool Villa, we miss the views from rental Villas, but we like having the security of the Westin. I feel a little safer there. There are pros and cons to ownership. On the bright side, I always know I have a vacation every year and if we decided to trade there are alot of opportunities to go elsewhere, but there is not too many places that can compare to St. John. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Sandy
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

I just realized that you are on island NOW...Cool!

I say go for it! We did the tour in Jan '08, and found it to be low pressure and comfortable. We toured the new Bay Vista units which were in the final stages of completion. I think the new units are very nicely appointed and thot they did a good job in that conversion. We did not buy but are going back this Dec to stay in one of those new units as part of a package that we did buy into.

I hope if you go you give us all some feedback. I have to imagine that is a tough sell right now in the current economic times?!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Let us know if you are interested in buying a resale - would love to help you in your search :)

(full disclosure here - I am a Realtor as is hubby - but you all know that anyway :lol: :wink: :lol: )

Pia
BeachMan

Post by BeachMan »

We did the tour. Very nice units but we passed for now. Anyone who is interested in taking the tour I'd recommend it. Very laid back and the $125 "sand dollars" came in handy.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ok, please explain "sand dollars".
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I don't know, when I think about the thousands of dollars we pay for a trip, if I were to divide it into the dollar amount spent per beach hour, I'm not sure $125 would be enough to pry me from the beach for 90 minutes plus travel time :lol:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
kklay

Post by kklay »

Last November when we were in St. John, we had talked to a lady who was manning the Westin "Hut" close to wharfside. We almost signed up for a tour but it was our last day and I just didn't want to spent 90 minutes that way - that being said, she upped the Sand Dollar amount to $325+ and I believe there were a couple of other perks - brain is a little foggy about the rest. Just might follow thru on this next trip since we'll be on island a total of 16 days. :D
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Margo, I am not 100% sure but I think sand dollars are to be spent at the westin, like bar/food/deli, stores, services like spa treatments, etc.maybe the water sport place on site? Someone else will have to correct me if they can be spent off site?

They offer quite a few other incentives if you are staying there which are worth much more than the sand dollars. Our first few trips we resisted the tour due to the need to be out and about and the turnoff to the concept but we were finally offered the right incentive of starwood points and we did it. Not terrible pressure and we did not buy. Instead we bought into a teaser program for us to return w/i 2 years to stay in a new villa, which we are doing right after T'giving for our anniversary.

I would have to agree Teresa Rae, I think you can get more than $125 sand dollars out of them! kklay , 16 days will afford you 90 minutes spare time somewhere along the way. I can only imagine as the economic spiral declines, the incentives will increase.

Carolyn
VaDavid

Post by VaDavid »

Hi, VaDavid here. We do have a two bedroom time share there and we bought it in March after 9/11 and got a good price since nobody was traveling then. We have thought about selling it but everytime we come back from there we wonder why. When we bought ours they also included 100k Starwood points that you can use at other properties but I understand now it is only about 50k that they are giving and the price is double what we paid. They have opened the new units but the big difference is that the older units have the private pool and big grills at the pool where you can cookout and that was one of the big selling points for us. If you have any questions just drop me a note. Have a good trip.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

My wife Jackie & I did it several years ago. Didn't buy, but got the free sunset cruise on the cat Adventurer, when it was still at the Westin.

Painkillers served up by the crew were flowing. As we sailed past the gazebo on the tip of Caneel Bay, normally-reserved Jackie yells out to the bridal couple getting their pics taken ...

"Don't Do It!"

Busted the whole boat up with laughter.

To this day, she still denys it.