Pictures of Chicago

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Pictures of Chicago

Post by California Girl »

I spent 3 days in Chicago last week. I have never been there before and I was SO impressed with that beautiful city and the nice people who inhabit it! And the weather couldn't have been more perfect!

I was there for a tradeshow, so I didn't get much time to visit all the things I wanted to see, such as the Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Navy Pier and all the museums, great hotels and restaurants too! I have promised my husband (who didn't get to go with me) that we will go back for a romantic 3-day weekend sometime.

My boss treated me to a double-decker bus tour of the city - I felt really touristy/geeky, but it was an excellent way to see the city with a limited amount of time! We did manage to hop off the bus at Millennium Park, and that was neat!

So for what it's worth, here are my pictures. Now you folks in the Chicago area can see your beautiful city through my tourist eyes! Enjoy!
http://www.pbase.com/thegripps/chicago

Oh, by the way, PLEASE let me know if I've mis-identified anything, and if anyone knows the name of that beautiful church covered with vines, I'd love to be able to label that photo! Thanks!

iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks CG---nice pictures. We love Chicago---in fact, I'm leaving for Chicago in about an hour and will be there through Sunday. You lucked out on the weather---just don't go for a getaway weekend from November through March----save that for the Beach Bar (or your own Orange County sounds pretty nice too). Did you eat or drink anywhere especially fun?
---Jim
California Girl

I generally went to luncheons at the tradeshow, and had Starbuck's for breakfast, but I had dinner at Shaw's Crab House - expensive and worth it! And on my last day I at breakfast at the West Egg Cafe. I can't tell you what street it's on, but it was walking distance from the Intercontinental Hotel, if that helps! Excellent place for breakfast! Unfortuately not too much drinking, except at Shaw's. They make a mean mai-tai! :)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Love, love, love the pictures. I miss Chicago...it's a great city!

So glad you had a good time.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I LOVE Chicago...haven't been back in years...its so clean for a big city...SO fun!
cass

Post by cass »

Beautiful pictures! I'm really jealous! I have been to Chicago (other than just the airport) three times. I have never enjoyed it. I really want to. I came close to enjoying it one time, but never really got to do tourist stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and really your pictures of the buildings (especially the church) are wonderful!
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

I grew up in Chicago and went to architecture school at the University of IL @ Chicago. So I always enjoy looking at chicago architecture pics. Spent many countless hours walking around the city and sketching. Both my wife and I love the city and really miss it :( You don't get much 'culture' in FL like you do in chicago.

As for the church, I cannot remember the name for the life of me right now. I will check my architecture books when I get home tonight (its bothering me). However the black deco building is the Carbide building, now home to the new Hard Rock on Michigan Ave. I love the Hancock building, my favorite by far. Did you get a chance to go to the top observatory?

Thanks for the post. I will get back to you on the church....
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Nice pictures! I see that city often, but I like your perspective! I will have to show my photographer daughter who loves Chicago.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

So glad you had a great visit, and I'm sorry I couldn't meet you for a beverage! I love Chicago and I'm so happy when visitors enjoy it too. We're in the burbs now but an easy train ride away so we take advantage of it pretty often.

The lovely church in the unnamed photo is Fourth Presbyterian on Michigan Avenue. It's beautiful on the inside too; I stood up in a wedding there and we've been there a few times for worship.

Hello to all you Chicago fans out there! Send all your good vibes to my beloved Cubs, please!
California Girl

Thanks everyone!

Schnell - Thanks for helping me identify things. I'll go back and update the title on the Carbide Bldg. As to the church, the tour guide said it was where the scene between Kevin Costner & Sean Connery in The Untouchables was filmed. So I researched that and it's not the same church. I Googled all kinds of churches in Chicago and was surprised not to find that one. It's got to be special, so I'm awaiting your research! Thanks!

We could have gotten off the bus and gone to the top of the Hancock Bldg. - even had a $1 off coupon! - but time was running short since we had spend so much time at Millennium Park. I bet the view from up there is phenomenal!

Sea-nile - Most of my perspectives on the buildings were from the top deck of a bus going down the street. But I like how they came out. Tell your daughter to get someone with a convertible to drive her around the city, 'cause you get views from the middle of the street where you can see the buildings really good, instead of on the sidewalk where you're either too close or have too much junk at the bottom of your picture of the bldg. across the street - stop lights, wires, people, cars. Not that that's always bad, but it takes away from the dramatic view of the building IMO. :D

I also think the perfect vehicle for Yosemite is a convertible, because all the views are straight up.
California Girl

Chicagoans! You know that church! Yayyy! Thanks! We must have been posting at the same time. It's nice that you take advantage of your city, it has so much to offer! :D
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Great pictures, CAG. I love Chicago, too. Only been two times, but always found the city clean, friendly and lots of fun. Our first trip was with our daughter's 6th grade art class. One of our activities was a guided walking sculpture tour and it was very interesting. Lots to do there for kids and adults.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
NIKKI

Post by NIKKI »

I went on a very boozy 5 day trip to Chicago a few years ago.
We had the best time the people were brilliant and so friendly and the city itself was lovely
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I miss Chicago, but your pictures have inspired me to go there in the spring if I can. (It's starting to get too cold. I've been there in Winter, and it's not nearly as good as the summer months.)

The flight from Nashville will not be as fun as my leisurely Friday drives from Detroit, though... I always wanted to take the Amtrak, but never got around to it before I moved. (I also wanted to drive all the way across Michigan Ave, too.)