What's your childs opinion?

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

What's your childs opinion?

Post by parafins »

My youngest son Danny Boy loves S.T.J.Anytime you ask him "What is you favorite island" he reply's,St.John!!This week Danny Boy suprised dear ol' dad.He drew a picture of a person snorkeling, complete with bubbles breaking at the surface.It was a rough picture due to his age{he's 5} but his heart was in it.As I have said before,I think the boy is brain washed!But that's a good thing! :wink: So I thought I would ask those of you that have children/grandchildren that have visited S.T.J. what do they think of this little paradise?ParafinsImage
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
RickG

Post by RickG »

My youngest is in the 6th grade and is 11. Her school artwork and stories have been about St. John since Kindergarten. Tonight is Back to School Night at her elementary school and I'm certain that I'll get a few questions about our next trip.

My kids have been going to STJ since infants and are bugging me about our next trip. I started planning a family trip to France for next summer and I'm already getting "Why don't we just go to St. John and Anegada?" My oldest ran airfares on Orbitz and made a point of how much extra time we could afford in the islands, even with a charter flight to Anegada.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

I have taken my 8 yr old three times and my 5 yr old once this past may. I think I have brainwashed my kids as well! My oldest has been saying for over a year now that he is going to buy me a house in St. John when he makes enough money one day. My 5 yr old keeps asking me when it's time to go back to St. John, thinking it should be as easy to pick up and go the same like when we go to chuck e cheese!

They've been to Texas beaches many times and are always dissapointed that the water does not look like St. John. I have ruined them for life. Uh, oh. :wink:
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

As much as I love St. John, I definitely think everyone should travel in Europe once they are old enough to appreciate it. France is lovely, and I hope to be able to get back someday. Although I do have to agree with your daughter that Europe was more expensive.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Well, my daughter picked a trip to STJ for her HS graduation gift. :D
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We are actively and intentionally brainwashing our 3 year old.

We were watching Feasting on Waves last night and when the Anegada portion was playing he asked "Is that St. John in the Caribbean?"
piscesgirl0314

Whats your childs opinion

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Good day!
My husband and I have a 7 year old daughter who loves STJ as much as her dad and I. We were married on Trunk Bay in 2003, took her there in 2007 and planned a 10 day trip in June 2009. We can't wait to get back.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Our almost 16-year-old loves STJ, but this past trip was a bit hard for her. She really missed having someone her age to hang out with. Last year, she took her best friend, but couldn't find anyone who could go this year. She's kind of picky about who she wants to spend a whole week with.

Her French teacher is planning a trip to France next summer, and she's dying to go. We've told her she can, and if forced to choose between STJ or France next year, she'd choose France. I'm having a hard time with that one, though. I'd like to do both, but if forced to choose, am not sure I'm willing to give up my STJ fix.

RickG, are you planning the trip yourself or are you going through a travel planner? How many years has your daughter had French? The school where little Ayer went until 8th grade starts French in kindergarten, and it's always been one of her favorite classes.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
suzi

Post by suzi »

Good question! My twin girls have been going to STJ since they were 8. This spring they will be graduating from high school, and guess where they want to go? You got it! Of course the fact that they will be 18 ( and allowed to drink) doesnt have a thing to do with it! This will be their 8th trip to STJ. When we ferry over from STT, they both sigh and say, " We're home!" amen...
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

[quote="RickG"]My youngest is in the 6th grade and is 11. Her school artwork and stories have been about St. John since Kindergarten. Tonight is Back to School Night at her elementary school and I'm certain that I'll get a few questions about our next trip.

Rick - I've only got one, and he's a boy, but it's the same story. 11 years old, 6th grade and he's been going since kindergarten. We too have the stories and artwork, and tonight is our version of back to school night.

The remora's fifth grade teacher was on STJ during March break in 2005. Her husband teaches 8th grade in the school's Middle School. We didn't know either of them at the time.

Last year she told me that her husband saw mine volunteering at school one day and he said to her "I remember seeing that guy on St John in 2005."....

Mr H is still wondering what he was doing at the time that made him so memorable..... :?
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Similar story here. My now 20 yr old daughter requested a trip to STJ for her HS graduation in 06. I knew my son had been bitten by the bug when in 4th for parent teacher conference, his teacher sat me down and the only thing he wanted to discuss was "tell me about St. John." The little man insists that he will also "party" in STJ for his graduation celebration. How did I get so damn lucky?!

While we love many Caribbean islands, St. John is the one that completely stole my soul. Virgin Gorda is a keeper too as well as the BVI's in general.

Next up: Week long sail charter. Just to give it a whirl!
psufan

Post by psufan »

We have only been to St John once, in 2007, but it has definitely left a lasting impression with my kids. We are going again in May to celebrate our daughter's college graduation, our son's high school graduation and my milestone birthday. We started discussing where we would like to go and after presenting various options they both settled right back on St John. Made me happy because that was definitely my first choice!
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

My daughter (who will be 18 in 8 days :shock: ) has been to St. John 4 times. It is now part of her life plan - finish college than go to work in St. John for a year before grad school. Todd from Woody's was ready to hire her while we were down there last April!!

Paula

smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

I've stated this in another recent post, but it fits this thread as well... we are headed back to STJ in March 2009 with our 4 & 7 yr old sons. We were last there in Jan '07 (2 & 5 at the time). When we decided to take a spring trip we asked the boys what they wanted to do and listed several ideas including Disney World and Disney Cruise and they both immediately said "St. John for sure!" I don't think the 4 yr old even truly remembers being there (except through pics), but the 7 yr old has already "trained" him well! :D
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

We've taken our kids three times and they too, love it! Boy are they spoiled - I couldn't imagine any trip like that as a kid - much less three times! :wink:

We have a timeshare in June and I thought we might as well stay an extra week in 2009 - I asked my 10 year old if he'd like to stay longer with me - no question, the answer was a resounding YES!

He said he likes the beaches and the Beach Bar the best! He loves climbing those trees and playing in the water. I can't wait either!

Tracy