Mosquito zapper/swatter things

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
cass

Mosquito zapper/swatter things

Post by cass »

BTW thanks Amy for answering my question about these and for the link! Didn't want thread-jack her trip report, so I thought I would move this question over here.

I guess these are probably old news, but new to me! Does anybody know if the electrical current is high enough to zap something a little bigger than mosquitoes?
Like say...wasps and hornets...a lot of them?

And does the dead little carcass fall right off, or does it stick to it like they do on those blue zapper lights (the ones you see at carnivals and such)?

Thanks!
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I am qualified to answer this question! LOL! :lol:

I use the zapper I bought on St. John on flies all the time. Kazzzzap! They take longer to die, so there's more satisfaction in the kill! LOL! The minute they hit the wires, they are zapped enough to stun them, then you have to keep the power on until they fry. The other day I found out if I had a dead one on the racquet, it wouldn't affect another fly, so I had to knock the dead one off before I could kill another one. But the batteries are old in my zapper, so they're probably not putting out much of a charge these days. If I was going after bees & wasps, I'd make sure I had fresh batteries. They will definitely take more zapping than a mosquito, but I bet it will work. Good luck! Hope you're not allergic to bee stings. You might just make 'em mad. I've zapped a fly before and all the rest just disappear, like they somehow felt the electricity in the air or something.

Sometimes I put down a bowl of "bait"... cereal & milk or something a fly can't resist...ice cream, etc. Then I set the zapper on the bowl and hold the handle. When a fly lands on the racquet expecting to get some ice cream, I press the button. :twisted:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

CG you are one sick person. I love you
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I have used the racquet thing on roaches here - worked well enough to stun the suckers so I could step on them without having to worry about them flying at me!

I HATE roaches!!!!
cass

Post by cass »

Thanks everyone! Stunning them was my concern. When we head to the boat for the weekend, the hatches keep replenishing themselves with flying lucifer's! We poison them with spray then run like hell! They circle around just above our heads, with only enough energy for one dive bomb. This usually results in the 5ft stream of poison being shot in random directions!

Electrocution! Yeah. That's the way to go for these guys.
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
California Girl

waterguy wrote:CG you are one sick person. I love you
Right back atcha' dude! :wink:
JT

Post by JT »

waterguy wrote:CG you are one sick person. I love you

I'm thinking she was a black widow in a previous life!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Just reading her post gives me great satisfaction. :twisted: I absolutely hate, hate, hate flies buzzing in my house and kitchen, especially when I'm cooking. I don't have a zapper, but I will soon now that I know they work on flies. :D
California Girl

JT wrote:I'm thinking she was a black widow in a previous life!
Hmmmm.... could be. :wink:

Pjayer - try the bait thing. Cat food is especially attractive to flies! LOL!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:28 pm.