Mexico?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
LMG

Post by LMG »

I went to Playa del Carmen last fall and really enjoyed it. It's still pretty laid back there, but the development is BOOMING. We stayed, I believe, on the north beaches, which were pretty quiet and clean. It was also H season, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

We took a bus directly from the Cancun airport to downtown Playa and I'd say that or a pre-arranged transfer is the way to go. About 3 months ago some friends of mine went and went the car rental route (which used to be very common down there) and were pulled over with about 15 other cars (think DUI stop) and asked for $100 each by the police just to keep going.

Needless to say, they won't be back. I can only imagine that's a pretty scary situation and as a foreigner, you really have no choice. They threatened to take them to jail if they didn't pay. Pretty awful.

That said, if you went the bus or arranged transport route, you'd likely have no problems whatsoever. Furthermore, if you went the resort route, it would be even easier. We stayed at a hotel in town and I never felt unsafe in that area. There are a lot of people out and about on the "strip" and we never strayed far from that area at night.

I've also been to Cabo, which I'd recommend as not being very busy and touristy. I enjoyed it a lot, though at that point in life I hadn't been to the Caribbean.

Anyway, that's my $.02. If you get a chance, check out the Playa del Carmen message board on Trip Advisor as it's pretty active and has some good local posters. That is, if you're interested in the Caribbean side of Mexico.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

missed posted
Last edited by waterguy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Should have mentioned, if you just want to go somewhere nice and do it somewhat on-the-cheap (and who doesn't?), try renting a timeshare from a private owner on Redweek.com or find one on vrbo.com. Cabo and the west coast of Mexico is filled with timeshare resorts, and people end up not using them and re-selling their week for a bargain. As one of hundreds of examples, here's a week at Sheraton Hacienda del Sol in Cabo ( beautiful, big, American-style ocean resort occasionally ranked as top 20 or 30 hotels in Mexico) for $100/night:

http://www.redweek.com/posting/R374721
---Jim
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We love Mexico, almost as much as St. John, but for different reasons. We started going to in 1997 and our last trip was in May 2006 and then we've been going to St. John since.

I don't recommend staying in Cancun. Flying into Cancun and heading to Playa Del Carmen or along the Riviera Maya is great. In Mexico we always do an all inclusive which means being able to grab drinks at the pool/beach all day. We like the Iberostar Resorts and we've stayed in Riu properties that are usually more affordable, but still very nice. The Barcelo Maya Colonial also has a great beach with offshore snorkeling. We got an amazing rate on our last stay there. It's about 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen. We took a taxi into town twice and there are several easy day trips close by. Seeing the ruins at Tulum is fun and we've enjoyed spending a day at Xelha or Akumal. You can also ferry over to Cozumel if you choose. If you want to be completely pampered, try the Secrets Resorts. They just opened a new one on Maroma beach which is an amazing beach and those are adults only resorts.

I have never and would never rent a car in Mexico. I believe there is extreme danger of being a victim of the corruption in Mexico if you are driving. The stretch between Cancun and Playa is an easy place for police to pull you over and demand money. We only had one bad experience in all of our travels and it was because a friend and I (both young women) went alone in the early, early morning to a deserted beach to see dolphins at sunrise. Tons of Mexican homeless men lived on that beach and we ended up in a bad situation. It wasn't smart for us to go to that beach in the dark!

We also really like Isla Mujeres which is a ferry ride away from Cancun. It's a small island and you use golf carts to get around. Pretty beaches and some great snorkeling areas. Very laid back and friendly island.

We went to Cabo for our honeymoon because the hurricane hit our original destination in 10/05 and Cabo was someplace we could get to last minute. We enjoyed every minute. It's a different vibe than other areas of Mexico, but still fun. We snorkeled at Chileno Bay one day and it was wonderful. We went with one other couple in the morning and for most of the time except for right at lunch time when a tour group came by boat, we had the entire beach/snorkeling to ourselves! We also enjoyed the sunset sail on La Princessa and a meal at Da Giorgio, an open air, Italian restaurant set on the side of a cliff with amazing views at sunset! If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

Nicolle
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I visited Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen last October and that was quite nice. I was pleasantly surpriced. Maybe it has to do with expectations, but I kind of liked it.

This was a business trip, but we went there three days before the conference started and explored the coast. We also went diving outside Playa del Carmen twice and that was also much better that expected. They say the snorkeling is also very good.

I don't know if I would go back, but it was nice with good food, nice beaches, almost everything was cheap, very friendly people (at least those we met). I am very happy that I got this chance to see at least a part of Mexico.

We also used public transportation to/from Cancun and to/from our resort that was situated 10 min south of Playa, so we had no problems with any police stopping the car.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Been to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cancun, Cozumel, and Cabo.

Like the old history of PVR.

Went to Mazatlan with a large group for 3 days and partied and had fun.

Cancun is a large sandbar with large resorts. Drove south to Akumal and loved it. Check out a villa there! Snorkeling was actually very good.

Love Cozumel, good snorkeling and easy to get around. Been there several times.

Absolutely hated Cabo. Too many time share sales people and too spread out. No swimming, snorkeling, and the waves will occasionally wipe you out on the beach. Marina area was quaint, but if you're not into fishing...not much else to do.

Just one opinion.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Forgot to give you the website we use for condos/villas in Akumal. It's actually in a land-locked state...CO! But they are the best!

http://www.caribbfan.com/
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thank all of you so much for all of this info - now I have ALOT to look through!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I believe Cancun is the place to worry about police robbing you. We have friends that have a beautiful place on the beach there. They say NEVER rent a car & drive around...too dangerous for being pulled over, robbed etc. Also their laws are very strict concerning accidents ( pedestrians involved = automatic jail time). Taxis & buses are the only way to go. That being said, we got stopped in a taxi by police & they searched our bags etc. Not fun.
Terry

Post by Terry »

It angers me to hear that the "police" are pulling folks over on the road from Cancun to Playa or Akumal.

Five years ago, there was no problem for us. But then 10 years ago we drove from Mexico back to San Diego and had a nightmare of a situation. We were stopped after the main road had been diverted, on purpose! Told that we were going to jail and our daughters would be taken for cash. :x Thank God my husband and our buddy kept their cool and made "an arrangement" financially. We gave them all the left over pesos we had ($20 usd) and they let us go. Turns out they weren't cops at all, imposters! Really hacked us off! Customes told us we did the right thing. :evil:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:52 am.