Mexico?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
nothintolose

Mexico?

Post by nothintolose »

Okay so SO tells me tonight, he wants to go to Mexico but we have no idea where we should go so throw me a bunch of suggestions and be as specific as you want.

All info is appreciated as we are clueless.

nothintolose
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Mexico is not a place to travel to these days. Lot's of bad juju down there right now. I won't even go into Tijuana to shop. Lots of Mexican Mafia stuff and corrupt police things going on. I'd pick somewhere else.
CindyM

Post by CindyM »

Mexico is on our list as well since it's such an easy trip from New Orleans.

A couple we met at Caneel (they were on St. John for the first time) said they go to Playa del Carmen often and recommendeded The Tides and Maroma. Both of these are really nice resorts with Maroma being luxury and more $$$$. Some friends of ours have stayed at Shangri La Caribe in Playa and enjoyed it (rooms have thatched roofs) but I think it may be closing. I haven't researched villas or condos there.

We went to Cozumel on a dive trip a few years ago. We rented a really nice 2 bedroom condo on a man made beach with snorkeling from At Home in Cozumel for something sick like $95 a night. The complex is called Cantamar and it was very well maintained. We were extremely pleased with this property for that price! Unfortunately, the beaches on Cozumel aren't the greatest. San Francisco beach is the nicest beach on Cozumel, however, and some new condos called the Residencias Reef have been built there. The caveat is that this area is 9 miles south of the main town.

From the little research I've done, Tulum and Akumal are quiet and Tulum has a really beautiful beach but not sure about the crowds since I think it is near the ruins.

There are some Riviera Maya boards but I haven't kept up with them. I think one is locogringo and there might be one here on Anthony's forum somewhere.

Good luck and I'd love to know what you find out.

Cindy
augie

Post by augie »

We were in Cozumel for 10 days in June - stayed at the aforementioned Residencias Reef condos. Had a rental car to go into town to eat or for supplies, or to drive to the undeveloped east side of the island.

If you're not divers, and you're looking for something to do every day other than hang by a pool or on a beach, then I'd suggest somewhere along the Mayan Riviera - the area along the coast south of Cancun. There are some incredible resorts if that's what you're looking for, and some fascinating cultural side trips available.

The water doesn't suck either!
Come see us!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

We went to Mexico for the first time last year. We were in Punta Mita, north of Puerto Vallarta, on the Pacific Coast. It was nothing like my preconceptions of Mexico but it is not a big tourist spot (that may change with the amount of construction going on). It was so quiet and peaceful. The little surf towns sparkled and it wasn't just the sunshine. Every storefront owner had people outside scrubbing with bleach and ammonia. The people were unbelievably friendly. Some good little beachside restaurants.

We stayed within a very large, spread out gated community, however, that included a new 4 Seasons. We were visiting friends who love Punta Mita so much that this was their third year there, and their second staying in the same villa. The villas are lovely, beautifully decorated, with views of the golf greens and ocean. It's still very quiet there, with very low occupancy, as they continue to build, but where we were was completely finished and absolutely relaxing. Construction noise over at the Four Seasons was sometimes noticeable but not a problem. The Residents' Beach Club was great. Excellent food and service.

Our last night we went for dinner at the most enchanting place, Casa de Mita. We were enraptured from the first minute. Exquisitely romantic, with wonderful architectural and decorative details to take your breath away at every turn. Of course, it was night, and sultry breezes were blowing curtains around, and outdoor fireplaces crackled, but rooms looked sumptuous, from what I could see. Talked to guests who were repeats and had only raves for the place.

http://www.puntamita.com.mx/

http://www.brisasdemita.com/

Here's the villa we stayed in:

Here's the beach looking toward the Four Seasons:

Beach restaurant at the little surf town, San Francisco:

The charm of the small surf towns. They reminded me of the west coast of Ireland in many ways.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Thanks everyone - keep it coming.

Augie - we are not divers and I think we were looking less for beach stuff.

CindyM...are you in New Orleans too?!?!?!?

Maryanne - thanks for all of the info AND the pics.

CaliforniaGirl...are you just trying to get me to go visit ya' :wink: :lol: ?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Well, that would be one reason, but you should look up the posts by Gizzmo...he has a lot to say about Mexico. :shock:
RickG

Post by RickG »

I used to go to Playa del Carmen, Xpuha, Xelha and some of the other interesting areas from Playa del Carmen to Punta Allen in Yucatan and Quintana Roo before I found St. John. There are a lot of AI resorts down there. You get a Caribbean experience, but things are very spread out. Going from one beach are to another is a drive of 20 to 45 minutes. It's flat.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kimberlysea

Post by kimberlysea »

Playa Del Carmen is beautiful. Fly into Cancun and go south about an hour.
CindyM

Post by CindyM »

Nothin: I'm just up the road from you in Madisonville.
Bug

Post by Bug »

I went to Cabo in February and didn't like it one bit. My plan is to NEVER go back :shock:

XOXO
Bug
sherban

Post by sherban »

I went to Cancun about 20 years ago...so that is now irrelevant...

Check out trip advisor...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1 ... nsula.html

As all places, there are good and bad reports. I believe it's true that drug trafficking and corruption have risen alot in the past decade there...but that is probably true of many places.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I've been to Cabo twice in the last several years (2005 and 2007) and enjoyed it quite a bit. Not as much as St. John, but enough that I'd like to go back. Its easier for me to get to and quite a bit less expensive. I would recommend staying away from the big new hotels downtown and trying a more intimate place with some Mexican character. The Cabo Surf Hotel, with 22 oceanfront rooms, is a good choice. www.cabosurfhotel.com/ Casa Natalia, in the town of San Jose del Cabo, is also a classy choice. www.casanatalia.com/ For a bigger hotel, try the Marquis or the Pueblo Bonito Pacifico. For a hotel closer to the Cabo party scene, but retaining some Mexican character, try the Solmar. Its situated right next to the cliffs that form "Land's End." www.solmar.com/

Rent a car so you can go to the beach at Santa Maria Bay---very pretty, and not very crowded. Lots of gorgeous and romantic restaurants. Agua, at Palmilla Resort, is a nice splurge, as is the restaurant at Esperanza. www.esperanzaresort.com/ Edith's is another good choice. http://www.edithscabo.com/en/ The weather is perfect. But its a different look----dry and stark. Just an idea.
---Jim
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Where is it in Mexico that you have to worry about the police pulling you over and robbing you? I know some people were talking abuot that in another post.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have a coworker that goes to Cabo every year and they will never go anywhere else, I show her pictures of STJ and she says "It is pretty but just not my style"
We were in Cozumel and I hated it and might not even go back if it was a free trip.
Everyone likes different things on vacation, Mexico (and Jamaica) are not for me.