California Earthquake!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

California Earthquake!

Post by California Girl »

We just had a 5.6 centered in Chino Hills/Pomona area (near L.A.) and we felt it GOOOOD down here in San Juan Capistrano! Yeee hawww! Ride 'em cowboy!! :D
promoguy

Re: California Earthquake!

Post by promoguy »

California Girl wrote:We just had a 5.6 centered in Chino Hills/Pomona area (near L.A.) and we felt it GOOOOD down here in San Juan Capistrano! Yeee hawww! Ride 'em cowboy!! :D
It was a 5.8 and believe me .2 makes a big difference. Damn, lasted a good while here in the barrio of Van Nuys which is quite a distance from the epicenter. Was waiting for things to fall. Didn't happen.
California Girl

Yeah, they just upgraded it to 5.8 on the USGS website. No damage down here, but what a fun ride!

See the USGS map here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rec ... 5.-115.php
Chet

Post by Chet »

We were in a video-conference meeting with our IT group in Lakewood...the room and chairs started moving, then shaking. The camera was jumping around. Panic for 30 seconds was replaced by forced humor. We resumed our meeting after a few minutes.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

Felt it big in Claremont which is very close to Chino. One of my dogs really did not like having someone come shake the house! I hate these things, never know when it will actually be "the big one".
California Girl

Looking at the earthquake map, I see there've been quite a number of aftershocks. We're not feeling them this far south, but I bet you're feeling them up in Claremont, laxcat!!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

I'd say more "wobble". Actually, the ground moves back & forth/side to side. At first you think you're getting dizzy, then you realize it's not YOU, it's the ground beneath you! I happen to not be afraid of earthquakes, maybe I'm a sicko, but I find them sort of exciting! :D
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

This one was very rolling as opposed a bolt. Just downgraded to a 5.4.

CG-Excited eh? After Northridge and since I'm almost on top of Northridge, I don't find them very exciting.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

SJfromNJ wrote:If you are driving during an earthquake do you have to stop or can you just keep traveling?
I remember back in the day, think it was 1987 when we had the Whittier earthquake and I was driving on the freeway. You get the feeling you have a flat tire and so does everyone else as you see them move en masse to the side of the road. Say the lighting move on the side of the freeway and knew what it was.

Nope, you don't have to stop driving.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

I remember hearing it reported after one particularly big quake (Northridge?) that some people on the freeway changed lanes... however it was the freeway under them that changed lanes, not the cars! :shock:
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

SJfromNJ wrote:Say your doing it..... only kidding! :twisted:

Hope things are alright over there.
Depends who you're with.........if you're old like me and with a young chick, well it's all good, right?

Most of the earthquakes happen early morning or during the day, so unless you're renting room...

just kidding or not.

I should scan some pix I took after the big one in '94 from the neighborhood. Gotta look for the pre digital pix.
Chet

Post by Chet »

California Girl wrote:I happen to not be afraid of earthquakes, maybe I'm a sicko, but I find them sort of exciting! :D
Do you smoke after a quake?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]