Any ideas on staying cool at a KC concert?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Any ideas on staying cool at a KC concert?

Post by Connie »

It's suppose to be 92-95 degrees this Saturday for the KC concert in Phila. I have NO idea how I'll be able to handle this. It will be soooo hot.

Anybody have any ideas?

You can't put up tents because you park, there are lanes of traffic going buy, so what do you do?

We'll be there from about noon until the concert starts at 3:30.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

Having spent the past three years of Philly/Camden Buffett concerts tailgating in sweltering heat and humidity, I would say: bring a cooler of frozen bottles of water, you can walk around until each bottle melts and is consumed, then you must return to your site for another. Take one of those combination mini fan/water misters with ice water in it and refill frequently. You can get them at Rite Aid, CVS, or WalMart for a few bucks. Wear a large straw hat to keep your head shaded. Lots of luck. I dread those hot days for concerts. The older I get, the tougher it is for me.

What was ironic, however, was that during this past June's concert, there was a group of 60 to 70ish folks from the Southern NJ Parrothead Club who set up shop next to our site. They brought their own DJ and ate, drank, and danced the whole day in the heat, nonstop! I'm in my 40's and had to sit in the air-conditioned bus at least once an hour to cool down. Go figure. Have a great day and enjoy!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Wrap a cold wet towel or cloth around your neck and keep getting it cold. Dip your wrists in ice water. I have been to many HOT and humid races. We have dumped the cooler water over our heads too. And like martini girl said, drink water!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have a rough time in the hot sun too. In addition to everyone else's advice, I think clothing selection is key. Everyone thinks concert=jeans, but if you wear jeans you are going to sweat! Choose light colored, loose fitting clothing that will wick away your sweat, it really helps.

And don't forget your sunscreen! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks so much for the tips! Oh yeah...sunscreen for sure.

So much for the hair :lol:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hey Connie! Just the fact that you're going to a KC concert means you're already "cool"!! :D
Connie

Post by Connie »

Hey CG....some people would so I'm so NOT cool for going, but considering the amount of fans he has, maybe I'm a little cool?

Last year was the first for me and although it's a long day, it's a great day!

Painkillers all around!!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

At the 105-degree Buffett show here last month, I brought in a quart-sized ziplock bag with a washcloth in it. I soaked the washcloth and used it to "reload" the already-wet pirate do-rag on my head. I looked like a tool, but it made it a tad more palatable.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Hey Connie,

I'm seeing "My Kenny" on the 26th in Boston (with 68,000 of my closest friends! LoL). For the last 2 years it's been over 100, the day of the concert, so I feel your pain. In the parking lots at Gillette Stadium, we do put up tents for shade. The lots fill so quickly, that once the rows are full, they close them off and no one drives thru them. I've seen some people bring huge patio umbrellas, held up by a small concrete bock with a hole in it.

Good luck! and have a painkiller for me, I'll have one for you next weekend!

Sydney
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Just a couple of tips that I find helpful for Jazz Fest as it is hot as blazes out there and mostly no shade.

Everyone is right about the water. Keep in mind that alcohol dehydrates you so you need to drink double the amount of water you normally would if you are gonna drink alcohol. Soft drinks (soda or pop or whatever people call them) do the same thing.

On REALLY hot/crowded days at fest, I have seen so many people carried out of the crowds on stretchers (including close friends) because they passed out from heat exhaustion. I cannot stress enough that you drink lots of water.

I also find that hats (unless they have holes in them like straw hats) hold in the heat. The heat needs to escape your body so wear a visor type hat or a straw type hat.

Liamsaunt is right about the loose fitting clothes and the lightweight clothes. I frequently see people in Hawaiian style shirts that are rayon, and they are dying. Only wear cotton or that wicking material.

I don't know if you can bring folding chairs or not, but they sell some that actually have a top to them that can provide you some shade. Definitely worth it even though I don't use them. I have sat in them at fest, and it's nice to be out of the sun.

Have a blast and think cool thoughts :wink:
Connie

Post by Connie »

Really great ideas!

Family is going now and we've made some plans to get off the asphat lot and up on some grass near the holiday inn we're staying at. That way we can put a tent up...yeah!!!!

We partied here last year and the one great advantage is (for the ladies) you can use their bathroom...another yeah!!!!

Party in the lot!
acohen

Post by acohen »

I went to the Atlanta show last weekend (FABULOUS!!) and luckily the rain had quit by the time we got to the stadium. You are going to have a BLAST!!! Unfortunately we didn't get to tailgate due to the weather. I read that Kenny sang "Be As You Are" again last night in VA Beach, so looks like you may get to hear it too!! Have a GREAT time!!!
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

I was in Virginia Beach last night and could not believe that he sang "Be As You Are".....that's a first for a concert. He told us some girl in the meet and greet had asked him if he would sing it, and he decided to go ahead and do it...am missing the Philly show this weekend, but in the past have sweltered through that show....drink plenty of water, use a mister, and have a great time!
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

he is getting ready to go to Jamaica and do a video with the Wailers.
He recorded a song 'everyone wants to go to heaven' for his new album......
have heard during the 2nd part of the tour, he does do some more island music.
he did bob marley 'don't worry about a thing' in VA to.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

It's a good show, although the little videos of island footage at the beginning make me want to leave the show and go to the airport. He didn't sing anything especially beachy here in Nashville. Maybe because we're landlocked? :lol:

Generally, he tends to sing more islandy stuff at his amphitheater shows. He's done that for several years. Maybe those sheds are where he really channels his "inner Buffett." Usually he lets his big, smoky sidekick sing my favorite Bob Marley song, which would be the one Rosi mentioned "Three Little Birds."