Trip Report: first one in 7 years... part 6

Travel discussion for St. John
Pickle

Trip Report: first one in 7 years... part 6

Post by Pickle »

I've realized this cannot be my last installment. There is going to be one more after this, so bear with me.

--- Day 12 ---

I was a little slow getting ready for the beach this morning (the pain was back but felt minor so I was determined not to pay attention to it) but still made it to Maho by 9:30 a.m. We set up our chairs on the right side and listened to the gentle surf for a while. One of the things I like about morning beaches is that the shade is longer. I'm not exactly a sun worshipper. I do sunbathe a little but I spend most of my time in the shade except when in the water.

Ever beautiful Maho in the morning

After a while, we began snorkeling the right side of the bay. The visibility was much better than it was when we were here last year. We saw neat creatures as well as the usual suspects.

Red Hind, hiding

Red Hind, revealed

Some sort of Cnidarians - loved the hints of green & blue in them

Trunkfish

Sponge and a cameo appearance of, hmmm...... a fish

Anemone

Yellowtail Parrotfish, resting

Another "some sort of Cnidarian" with very pretty orange color

We snorkeled around the point towards Little Maho but didn't actually get to the beach.

Little Maho

After snorkeling, my husband stayed in the water wading while I sat around in the shade. It was almost noon and there were more people out on the beach but it was still quiet for me to enjoy listening to the gentle surf of Maho. That was until a dinghy parked on the beach started to take off, but instead of leaving, it circled around the shallows for nearly 20 minutes (it turned out they were waiting for a friend). I am generally very laid-back but I was annoyed with the dingy within 5 minutes. It just was loud. I don't know much about dinghies but can their engines be turned "down" if not off? My husband was not far from the circling dinghy and when he came out of the water, he said with a sarcastic smile, "Ahhh... the fumes."

We use some of those waterproof cases for valuables while in the water. When my husband opened it to get the car key out, water poured out of the case. No wonder I saw bubbles coming out of it in the water." Hmmm, and he didn't think anything was wrong? Evidently, one of the latches got undone when he was repositioning it. Lesson learned - don't let your guard down.

When we got back to Sea Stone, Mr. Iggy was there on the edge of the pool. He looked so in a "zen" mode with the tip of his tail feeling the cool water. When I tried to sneak up on him for a picture, he slowly turned and looked at me like "What are you doing?"

Before our dinner at La Tapa, my husband waded in the pool (accompanied by Mr. Iggy again) while I sat around in the breezeway. He said he put his beach shoes right next to Mr. Iggy and Mr. Iggy didn't even flinch. Sometimes Mr. Iggy was like that but other times he seemed to be more cautious of us.

We got to La Tapa a little early so we hung out at the bar until our table was ready. We hadn't been back to La Tapa for 5 or 6 years because the last couple of times we ate there, we weren't quite impressed with their food. Lately I've heard such rave reviews of this place on this forum so thought we should try again. We had mussels for an appetizer and they were excellent. My husband had a Mahi entree and I had linguine with seafood & vegetables.

My husband was VERY happy with his fish. The flavoring of my linguine was nice but the dish was too salty for me and I'm not particularly sensitive to salt. For dessert we split an apple tart a la mode and it was excellent. Although La Tapa didn't quite meet our, or should I say "my" expectations that night (only because of the excessive sodium in my dish), we will be back again next year.

--- Day 13 ---

Did I tell you we love Gibney? We picked up a couple of sandwiches at Deli Grotto and hit the beach at 8 a.m. We saw a woman with her baby strolling the deserted beach. We said, "Good morning" and headed out to our regular spot near the old Oppenheimer house (the yellow building). I can't say enough about morning beaches. We get up early truly only on St. John - we are both totally night people at home. Gibney was so quiet and serene, and even Hawksnest looked nearly empty.

For snorkeling, the visibility was very good that day and my little Canon was so pleased though I realized later I didn't take many photos of fish. I do have a tendency to look for invertebrates in the water, sorry...

Flamingo tongue

Segmented worm

(Scary) clam

Looking out of the water was as beautiful as looking in the water

Sea egg on brain corals

Sea urchin hidden behind segmented worm

Octopus

Even with the heavy clouds moving in, the beach was still beautiful. It showered a little but the rain clouds quickly moved away. We ate our sandwiches, took a nap, waded in the water, watched Daisy (a dog) playing around the beach, etc. Knowing that we had one more full day left on the island, we wanted to spend our time out on the beach as long as we could. We were at Gibney until nearly 4 in the afternoon. It was getting close to "bug time", so sadly we had to go.

To be continued... next, the final installment (finally!)
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Your pictures are very impressive, and so is your ability to name all those critters. Thanks for taking time to post. :)
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Your pictures are just fantastic. We never had the opportunity to snorkel at Gibney (water too rough) and your pictures will make it a must on the next STJ trip.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thank you for all the reports. Your photos are amazing and I really like your underwater shots. And those of Iggy. He seemed like a really cool "guy".
jmq

Post by jmq »

Great underwater shots.
Do you get real close or zoom or crop heavily?
Always a challenge to frame underwater shots for me - I can never see the LCD that well.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Gorgeous pictures, especially the flamingo tounge and ocotpus!

I'm glad you have another installment coming. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
suzi

Post by suzi »

love love love your pics!!! Esp the octopus! I love Mr Iggy, too!!! wow!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

jmq wrote:Great underwater shots.
Do you get real close or zoom or crop heavily?
Always a challenge to frame underwater shots for me - I can never see the LCD that well.
Hi, jmg,
None of the photos are cropped - those are the original framings. When I can get close to a subject, I do try to get close to it and use the "macro" setting. I use the zoom feature to some degree, but zooming in too much makes photos fuzzy, so I am careful. I agree, it is a challenge to frame underwater shots but it's fun for me. Of course, some of the photos I took underwater are not worth presenting!

Thank you very much again, everyone!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Just so very nice! Thank you.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

Using macro settings underwater?? That's crazy talk!!

(meaning you got serious skills)
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Love your photos! The Flamingo Tongues are so cool looking. I must of stared at one at Hawksnest for about 20 minutes. Love them!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great pictures, especially the underwater ones. Your reports are great.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

jmq wrote:Using macro settings underwater?? That's crazy talk!!

(meaning you got serious skills)
It's funny. This was my first underwater shooting, and the first a couple of days in the water it didn't even occur to me that the camera had a zoom feature, much less the macro setting (I must have been so wrapped up with the housing itself) and I took pretty crappy photos. Then it came to me - well, with or without the housing, it still is "my same little Canon". Needless to say, that "little" realization helped me and then on I had so much fun underwater.

chrisn,
Agree. Flamingo Tongues are cool. They are often found sticking to those Gorgonians and I've seen them in slightly different colors. It's always fun to find them!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I also love the beaches in the morning! Your pictures are beautiful, especially the underwater ones. Great job!
Image[/url]
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Great report and pics! Love the Octopus shot. Spotting an Octopus is on my Bucket List.

I have to find parts 1-5 now.
janet