Renting a car on Thomas or STJ ?

Travel discussion for St. John
Dave-a-roni

Renting a car on Thomas or STJ ?

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Has anyone ever rented their cars on St. Thomas and ferried them over to St. John? It's cheaper to rent over there, and it's only 40.00 to ferry them.
Were getting 2 cars (we have 12 people) and some in our group think we should do this, but overall it seems like more work and time, and less of a convience but cheaper. Personally I'd rather spend the extra cash and just rent on St. John.

Anyone have any insight or advice they'd like to share?
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/
patr

Post by patr »

Hi Dave-a-roni,

I struggle with this every trip.

You see we like to spend the first couple of days of vaca at Secret Harbour. Last year we visited Magen's Bay, Mountaintop, Sawyer's Dive Shop and it is great to have the ability to get around without the expense of taxis and be able to pick up provisions at KMart and not have to haul the bags on/off of the ferry and cab.

BUT - I've been told if you have car trouble on St John you're hosed. We never experienced any car trouble and the car barge was a breeze - however, my chauffer (hubby) is not fond of driving on St Thomas - traffic, confusing route markers, etc. and finally just asked me to nix the St Thomas rental idea and stick to renting on St John - problem solved! :wink:
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Dave - There are very strong opinions on both sides. It's truly a matter of personal preference and what appeals to you. There's no right or wrong on this one, I don't think.

For me, I always rent on STT. The more people in your party, the more it makes sense financially because by the time you pay taxi fare, baggage handling, etc. you usually come out cheaper to rent on STT and ferry it over. What far outweighs cost for me, however, is that I find it so much more convenenient and easy. Get your bags, get in your Jeep at the airport, and you are from that point on Master of Your Domain. (Okay, resist the urge to think "Seinfeld.") You don't have all the hassle of dealing with taxis, baggage handlers, passenger ferries, lugging your bags down the ferry dock, trying to figure out where to leave everything while someone goes to find the car on St. John, etc., etc. etc.

We've done it 9 times and have never had car trouble or any problems whatsoever.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I agree with Vicki that it is a matter of preference. I will only rent on STJ.
We spend a lot of time in Cruz Bay and I like the convenience of knowing I have a place to park that I don't have to pay for or circle town 3 times to find.

Last year we had an issue with the Jeep battery and we had a new one delivered and installed in 20 minutes and we were only 10 minutes late in meeting our charter boat captain.

It all depends on your personal choice and needs.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Totally agree with Vicki and X.

We have only ever rented on STJ. While the temptation to rent on STT for all the reasons that Vicki mentioned, I really enjoy taking the passenger ferry over from downtown and I hate driving on STT (too much like home!)

The big factor for me is the "if something goes wrong" and I'm just not willing to risk that for any price reduction.

The parking issue is also a HUGE advantage especially if you like to head into Cruz Bay for dinner.

On a different level, I like to spend all my tourism dollars (as much as possible) supporting the STJ economy. All of the STJ car rental co's are locally owned and run by St. Johnians (native and folks who moved there ages ago). That matters to me. They are limited by law as to how many cars they are allowed to own and rent out which puts them at an automatic competitive disadvantage with their competitors on STT.

I just personally don't want to support a national chain over the local folks on island. But that's just me.

You have to do what's right for you and your group.
Last edited by Gromit on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Just one more thought from someone who's toyed with the idea of renting on STT. When I compared prices (Dependable vs. Conrad Sutton) there was no difference for the same vehicle.

Dependable did say if you had a problem on STJ your only responsibility was to get it to the barge. They'd take it from there.

We did have a little car trouble on STJ and were glad Conrad was right there to take care of us.