cptnkirk's day five in paridise

Travel discussion for St. John
cptnkirk

cptnkirk's day five in paridise

Post by cptnkirk »

Ok got lucky last night no not that kind of lucky. I had lain on the bed last night before my honey and was sawing some serious zzzzzz's so she let me sleep in the very comfortable bed for the night and she set up on the coach. I really should do something about my snoring. Got up after another great nights sleep and you guessed it bacon and eggs, For anyone concerned about my heart health I probably eat bacon and eggs once every two months it is just a tradition on St John and it really sticks with ya till lunch. I try to thin out the blood with a good stiff drink by twelve just as a safety measure. Well decisions, decisions what beach today Hawksnest it is, boy that was easy. We pack all our stuff and were off on another adventure for the day. One of the first one on the beach and we choose a primo spot. I just love Hawksnest how you can get under those sea grape trees but ya got to get there early or you're S. O. L.
Old pic as I didn't seem to get any of our setup at Hawksnest this time

Well we went snorkeling for a good long time and I'm happy to say the Elkhorn forest on the middle reef held up great to those big swells they had a month or so ago. This has got to be my favorite snorkel always a ton of fish and you can get really shallow when the conditions are right. This was the case this day. I could get in about two feet of water. Love getting that close to the fish you really notice allot of the little creatures you would miss if you were in deeper water.
Got out and had our twelve oclocker and noticed a couple pelicans diving right on shore. Laid on the beach and just started shooting. They could care less I was there as they were on a feeding frenzy. There was a school of fry right off the beach sure made shooting them easy. It was cool having them dive right in front of me within ten feet sometimes closer when I was in the water with them.
More partying and chillin 17th and Tam walked up to our little villa on the beach and set up beside us. Didn't get to talk a whole lot as I returned to my little water world for a couple hours and when I returned they were out snorkeling. Yelled at them too hit the center reef but they remained two snorkel buttfishes. We were starved at this point so off we went.
17th and Tam
We arrived home and cleaned up and decided on Skinny Legs. Not a whole lot of people there this time that was nice. Last trip we stopped in it was so crowded we decided not to eat there. Ordered the special burger of the day (bacon, cheese, garlic, all the fixins) and a round of Presedentes. Well our food came out really quick and you should have seen the size of this thing I had to smash it down just to get a bite. We were all a bunch of happy campers. Went and bought some T shirts and watched some guys play horseshoes. These guys could throw a mean game of shoes.

Headed home petted some more donkeys on the way back. If anyone wants to see donkeys head towards Coral Bay and the east end we seen a bunch this trip. Lots of critters down at that end of the island and there really smart to as they apparently know how to read.
We arrive back to the villa full to the gills and watch a movie. It wasn't very good as we all fell asleep watching it I can't even remember the name of it . Hit the sack ready for our last full day BOOOOOOO!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

As always - another great report and pictures. I like your blood thinner idea.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

What a great day.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great pics and report!
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Nice report, as usual. Great bird pictures, too. :D
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
brenda

Post by brenda »

Thanks for the latest installment! I love the pelican photos. They are so fun to watch.

"I really should do something about my snoring" I recommend a "sleep study" if you haven't already had one to determine the cause like sleep apnea etc. There is still hope for you :P .
Going "home" again October 26th!
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Nice report, cptn! Great pix, too. I was squeamish when reading about how close you were to the diving pelicans - this story happened right before our trip, and made me a lot more wary of the diving birds:

May 11 2008 - A woman swimming off a Florida beach needed multiple stitches after a pelican dove into her face while searching for fish. Debbie Shoemaker is the name of the woman who was unfortunately the victim of the bird's miss-guided wrath, needing 25 stiches to close a gash on her face made by the bird's beak. The bird died as a result of injuries sustained from the collision.

Pelicans with astigmatism - just one notch below high gas prices on our national worry index.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Yay! It's Day 5! Thanks Capt. Great report! I don't remember seeing those pelicans that day. They must've stopped after we got there. It was nice seeing you guys again. Looking forward to Day 6!
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Another wonderful installment! That's a HUGE school of tang that you found. Love the pelican shots too.

Robin, that is interesting about the "pelican attack." When we went out with Captain Phil he told us that most pelicans die from starvation because when they age they lose their sight and can't dive for fish anymore.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Thanks for another great installment of you trip report. I had one of those Pelicans dive right in front of me near the rock at the far end of Hawksnest one time, it get your head up out of the water quick! :?
augie

Post by augie »

Note to self: Lose the rash guard with all of the pictures of little fish on the back...
Come see us!
Bill in Va

Good Job

Post by Bill in Va »

Yo....Good job. Good pic's..you Got her done!!..God bless....Bill
You are never too old to have a happy childhood...
Rachelle & Joe

trip report

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

well............ Those pic's r gorgeous ! we so missed meeting u both! but since we're both in cleve. we should meet up ! Nascar & his wonderful wife gave u both great reviews !!!! LOL they were great!!!! where r u in cleve. ?? we'll be at Cleat's tomorrow nite in Westlake the old James Dominic if your not busy ?? getiing there around 8 ish on the deck,if that's not good for u let's make plans to meet up some other time ? again awsome pic's !!!!! Rachelle & Joe
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Hey Joe were from Bellefontaine about 45 min west of Columbus but thanks for the invite. Your about three hours from us. Maybe we will meet sometime on the rock :D Nascar and Becky are a nice couple we were bummed we missed them by a day. I'm sure we will cross paths again someday on the island.
Dave-a-roni

Post by Dave-a-roni »

Nice trip report Capt. Awesome Pelican pictures, how cool that you were able to get so close for pics! Interesting story behind them too, must have been cool to see them dive and eat, and so close too.
Liamsaunt, I've heard of them getting to old to feed to. Makes you wonder if you'd rather die like that or a predator having it's way with you :(
"Try to preserve nature where you live, not just where you visit"

Photo's
2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 118102515/
2005 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-a-ron ... 326642810/