Memory question...

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Memory question...

Post by Coden »

My camera's, not mine!! :lol:

My son has 1 gig of memory and I have two cards totaling 512 MB, plus one card with 16 MB.

Do you all think this is enough memory to where we do not need to haul our laptop to STJ with us so we can dump the pictures into the laptop?

I/we do not want to haul the laptop but will if needed.

Thnx!!! :)
Coden
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I think it is more than enough, but it depends a bit on the quality of the pictures you want. I know my camera takes less pictures depending on the quality.

I am a picture taker - ask my husband! And I just bought a new camera and plan to take only a 1 gig along on our January trip - no laptop.

Have fun!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

my camera I can get about 200 pics on a 512 but eats up alot of memory if you take videos
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

I have a 6 mega pixel Canon Eos Rebel that on medium resolution will get about 400 pics on a 1 gig card. I just bought another 1 gig card at Staples today for $20 I thinj 800 with the ability to delete what I don't like will work for me.

6 sleeps left to paradise!
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Great! Sounds like we will do okay w/o lugging the laptop. I was thinking about buying another 256 MB for my camera anyway, and might go on and do it.

Thanks again for all of you help!! :)
Coden
toni

Post by toni »

I think memory has become relatively inexpensive. I see Best Buy this week advertising a 3 pack of 1GB SD memory cards (3GB total) for $50 after rebate. They have a 2GB Sony stick for $90 after rebate. Video does really eat up a lot if you have that capability. With the prices dropping it's not bad to have a spare card. I wouldn't want to take the laptop just for that purpose.
Good luck!
Coden

Post by Coden »

I agree Toni and I think that is what I'll do is just get myself an extra card. Thanks!! :)
Coden
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

We filled a 1/2 gig memory card twice with our 5 Megpixal Canon at max quality with mostly underwater pictures and then fill another 1/2 gig memory card with our Kodak 4 megapixal camera with all above water pictures at max quality settings. We took a couple of videos with each. We always shoot at maximum quality.

Another option is to bring the cables to review your pictures on the villa's TV right from the camera and delete the pictures you don't plan to keep. This would help free up space on your memory card(s). We ended up keeping about 1/4 of our pictures.
Bob & Anita
jmq

Post by jmq »

Cards are cheap, esp SD versions. No excuse not to get extras.

FYI camera security. Just read a trip report on another forum and their camera bag with camera and memory cards were stolen out of their checked baggage that went thru San Juan on the way home (not unheard of in that airport). Lost all their trip pics. The camera can be replaced, but those memory saving photos cannnot. ALWAYS CARRY ON YOUR FILM/MEMORY CARDS and CAMERAS/ELECTRONICS ETC.
I may post this last part as a separate topic because it is a useful reminder...
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Coden

Post by Coden »

Bob&Anita - Thanks for the tip, I know my son has cables, I'll ask him if they'll work on mine. Now here's hoping the TV in our rental in up to date!

jmq - cards and sticks are getting cheaper...good for us consumers! And thanks for the tip, thank goodness I would Never check my camera...it stays with me! :) Because I know that a lot of people are unfortunately theives!! :(
Coden