Show Your Pet!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Steve - I love, love, love those pictures! Thanks so much for posting them. You're son is going to be a ladykiller with those eyes! :)
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Not only a beautiful dog but one of the cutest kids I've seen! I can't wait to cuddle our new pup!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

True to their feline nature, the fur kids wanted no part in a forced photo shoot. This is the best I could do -

Our "first", Al. He is 15 years old and my college graduation present from Hubs -

Al was so naughty that after a few months, we decided he needed a playmate. Enter Cleo, 14 years old -

Some might say we are crazy but having two Siamese in the house prepared us to have a human child. They are very high maintenance and we adore them.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

How are Siamese cats high maintenance? I’ve never had anything but “mutt” cats and I’m not very familiar with the breed. I volunteer at an animal shelter but we rarely have purebreds…in the 3 years I’ve been volunteering there I’ve only met one Siamese. She came in pregnant and her kittens were stunningly beautiful and got adopted very quickly.

I’ve always thought dogs would be good practice for kids because they require a lot more work than cats.
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Uh, PA Girl, take a look at my blurry pic of MY Clio, age 8:

We have twins! Except I think yours has a decidedly more regal heritage. My Clio came from the pound, but acts like she came from the country club.

Teresa, Siamese are relatively demanding cats. Even mine, who came from the pound, is quite vocal, demands attention and is a bit "needy" for a cat. Siamese are also a little more like dogs in my experience, in that their likely to greet you at the door when you come home and literally shadow you everywhere.

Oh god, I'm sounding like one of those weird cat ladies. I think I need a baby, stat.
suzenmay

Post by suzenmay »

my mother had a part siamese cat and she had a tendency to steal things-money, watches, anything shiny(apparently this is one of the traits of the siamese). I once lost a watch that later was found stuffed in the underside of the mattress . They can also be very devilish. She was a tiny thing but loved bread and once dragged a whole loaf of bread up the stairs and ripped it open and had bread bits everywhere!She also attempted this with a whole cooked chicken that probably weighed more than she did. She was very loving but demanded attention and would often wake my mom up in the middle of the night by walking on her head and "combing " her hair with her claws!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We do have twins!

My Clio came from the pound, but acts like she came from the country club. – HA! I wouldn’t be surprised to come home and see my Cleo wearing my jewelry as she suns herself in the best window.

How high maintenance are Siamese? Mine are about a 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. I knew what we were getting into because a close college friend’s mother took in homeless Siamese.

Alw1977 is right about being like dogs, they really are. Examples –

• Al (the male) will play fetch for as long as we are willing to throw to him
• Before we moved into town, he walked on a leash when the mood hit him
• They crave their humans and will follow us around the house like dogs and greet you at the door. Our male can hear Hubs vehicle before I can.
• Chewing problems are not unheard of. Our male was/is pica and chewed (not scratched) the arms off our old sofa and would chew anything left unattended – socks, purse straps, etc. We learned to leave nothing lying about.

My husband had a deposit on a Bernese Mountain dog when we were getting ready to move in together. I like other people’s dogs and a Siamese was the compromise.

The male was so insanely devilish; I called the breeder at wits end. She suggested a second partner in crime and she was right, it returned some level of sanity to the family.

They are delightfully naughty. We had to put child locks on the cabinet doors long before we had a child because they learned to open the cupboards. They can’t stand a closed door (curiosity) and would snake around my wine glasses if the doors weren’t locked.

Extremely vocal, our jabber constantly and even in their advance middle age, they regularly run and tear thru the house like their tails are on fire.

Hubs’ cat-hating friends are completely charmed by them.

Yes, I am a crazy cat lady.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

There are some kittens down the street that sometime jam for beers. :)

http://www.rathergood.com/independent_woman/
California Girl

Steve, thanks for my daily dose of weird. :lol:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Steve S wrote:There are some kittens down the street that sometime jam for beers. :)

http://www.rathergood.com/independent_woman/
I love it! another link to add to my morning work-avoidance hour.
jmq

Post by jmq »

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Very interesting comments about Siamese cats…I’m thinking our cat Jasper might be part Siamese. I had wondered about that before because of eyes…something about them just looks kind of Siamese.

Of our 5 cats, I always have a minimum of 3 or 4 meet me at the door…and the 1 or 2 that aren’t at the door are in the foyer within 15 seconds. I also have at least a few follow me around the house at all times. So to me those things don’t necessarily mean “Siamese,” but the other things you said are very interesting.

Jasper can be crazy. He talks A LOT. He runs back and forth on the wood floors at a full gallop and it is LOUD. He jumps HIGH. He will play fetch for HOURS. He plays like crazy. His favorite toy is a helium balloon…he’ll get the ribbon in his mouth and take the balloon all over the house, eventually taking it under the bed so he can’t lose it. The last time I gave him one it was over-inflated and it popped when he took it under the bed…he came crying to me about it. Jasper will chew anything too. He won’t ever damage stuff, but he’ll chew on the weirdest stuff (like the metal flange that attaches the stair rail to the wall). Recently he’s become obsessed with the strings on my husband’s hooded sweatshirts that he wears around the house at night, and as soon as he sits down on the couch Jasper comes over to dig around until he finds them so he can chew them.

His nickname is "Carpenter Kitty" because he likes to help my husband with projects around the house, especially ones that involve hammers. He gets his face REALLY close to swinging hammers.

Last week my sister stayed overnight at our house and in the morning she asked why Jasper was digging and head-butting her sheets in the middle of the night. I told her that he was trying to get under the covers to cuddle. He can be calm and cuddly if he's in the mood.

Before we had Jasper I had a supply of stuffed animals in one of our spare bedrooms for when friends with kids were over. But he quickly got into those and would drag the stuffed animals all over the house, many of them 3 times his size (so he’d have to walk backwards). He’d take them up and down the stairs and all over the place. Since they were nice stuffed animals, I decided to get him his own so I went to Wal-Mart and got a cheap one. It was a horse so it had long legs that seemed perfect for carrying around. I wanted my husband to see Jasper’s reaction upon receiving the horse, so I set it down (still in the bag and box) and then walked to the other end of the hall to tell my husband to come watch when I gave him the horse. Jasper wasn't even in the room and I had barely turned my back when I heard the rustling of a plastic Wal-Mart bag…Jasper went ahead and helped himself to the stuffed animal and had taken off with it.

This was him after he'd exhausted himself with the horse...he was about 5 months old in this picture:

This is all very interesting...at least once a day my husband picks up Japser, looks him in they eye and says "why are you so crazy?"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Jasper either is Siamese or wants to be!

The wife half of our STJ travelling friends is not an animal person and our cats freak her out. She always asks "what is wrong with them?"

Of course, they LOVE trying to crawl all over her during every visit.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I feel like a proud mama who has learned something new about her adopted son!

As for people who dislike animals, I don’t really trust those types :lol:
California Girl

Teresa - Nothintolose told me, when we got Jack, that orange cats always seem to be a little psycho! LOL!

PA Girl - Why is it that cats always seem to go directly to the people who are allergic to them or dislike them? It's like they KNOW and want to cause trouble! :lol: