Feeling like a cheater

Travel discussion for St. John
snorkles

Feeling like a cheater

Post by snorkles »

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week on Virgin Gorda. Although I am excited about the trip, (never been there before) I have a guilty feeling as if I am cheating on STJ. Has anyone else felt like this?
lavender

yes me too....

Post by lavender »

My hubby and I lovveeeeee St John but alas last trip down to the islands we went to St John for 5 days and Cooper Island for 5 days and yes I felt like I was cheating on my beloved. And......we are going back to Cooper for 10 days in March 09 and probably will only get to St John for a daytrip. Yes definitely cheating but life is all about choices!! Enjoy Virgin Gorda!!!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Maybe for a moment, then the extremely pleasant people of VG and sense of adventure that a going to a new place brings makes that go away, helped along of course with stuff like this:

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Follow cheater hear - we settled on VG for our next winter trip just last night but I am trying to fit STJ in between now and then.
snorkelqueen

Cooper Island

Post by snorkelqueen »

We go to SJ every year and love it but I have considered Cooper Island many times. We stopped at Cooper to pick up some people for a dive trip a few years ago and I really loved the place. Can you give me your thoughts? I guess you must have liked it 'cause you're going back but I would love a real review! Beaches, snorkeling ???? Thanks
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

jmq, everytime you post one of your gorgeous VG shots, my heart beats a little quicker! I will be there for my first VG island stay in 2 weeks and 3 days! I don't feel the tiniest bit guitly though since STJ will claim a week of my time directly following!!! I am so excited, I'm ready to crawl out of my skin!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Thanks. I've been thinking about it a lot lately too because it is under consideration for a last minute trip next month if the calendar opens up, but dont know if we can pull it off.

chrisn - pls post a trip report in Off Topic forum when you get back. That may have to do if we cant go.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Lex

Post by Lex »

When we went to VG last fall, it was the first time in over twenty years that we'd stayed anywhere in the Caribbean other than on STJ. The first time we went to STJ it felt like we'd found paradise and once you find paradise, there's no need to look further. But the island has changed and it's not such a good fit for us anymore. We'll go back to STJ at least once more to stay at Maho one last time before they roll up the tents, but we really enjoyed VG.

I've had other places on my list for a while: Bequia, Carriacou, Mayreau, Nevis, Dominica. My most recent addition is Barbuda which fascinates me because it's so hard to find out much about it. We really love Kauai and I would like to get to the South Pacific before I die. There's a lot to be said for returning again and again to a favorite, beloved place. It becomes so comfortable and is so steeped in memory. But I also enjoy getting to places I've never been.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Lex~~
Just thought I would mention that we stopped on Mayreau way back in '88 on a cruise. We thought it was paradise, but very remote. The population then was only about 120 persons. They had a steel pan band there and we bought one of their homemade cassette recordings. What better souvenir to bring back memories of the island? The tape is fuzzy sounding now but I still like to listen to it!

I'm sure by now they would probably have more amenities for visitors, let's hope it is still pristine...
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

JMQ Love those pictures! Thanks for sharing them!
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

What a timely post. Our family trip this year is to Little Dix Bay. I was trying to influence the decision (not mine to make, alas) toward Caneel, but was unsuccessful and have been semi regretful ever since. jmq's pictures have certainly proved encouraging!

Actually, I can't wait to go. Would previous visitors recommend renting a jeep, or can we get around with cabs? I don't want to spend the entire week at the resort, although sand gravity does tend to take over on these things, lol.

And back to St. John in October. Have a great trip, Snorkles, and tell us all about it!
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Don't feel guilty we are talking about doing three or four days on Gorda and a week on St John after seeing the Beauty of the Baths. Have fun on your new adventure. Heres one more pic to get ya pumped.
Great shots jmq
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Noreen wrote:What a timely post. Our family trip this year is to Little Dix Bay. I was trying to influence the decision (not mine to make, alas) toward Caneel, but was unsuccessful and have been semi regretful ever since. jmq's pictures have certainly proved encouraging!
Noreen - Considering that you weren't too excited about VG in the beginning, I would REALLY love to hear your comments about it when you get back. It will be interesting to know if you love it or not after STJ.

I went to Grand Cayman in January and was pretty disappointed in it as far as landscape and attitude and distances between towns. The water is the most gorgeous I've ever seen, but regarding everything else, I was spoiled by St. John.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Not only VG this summer - I was seriously considering Anguilla next year instead of St. John. Talk about cheating! Then, last night, my husband made an offhand comment about the villa we like, and staying there next year, and I realized that I may have to find a way to make three trips in 2009. I keep telling him, we should just move.

But don't we all think that?