DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

We're in a "push" situation we owe the IRS the same we are getting in a rebate and return from NJ.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I was a little bitter about the fact that we weren't getting economically stimulated ;) until my hubs gently reminded me that we'd rather have our income + $0 rebate than a lesser income + the $1200 rebate.

My mom who gets by on far less than we do will get the $600 and it will make a much bigger difference to her bottom line than it would to ours.

I was WAY more bitter about having to pay taxes for the first time ever. I was shocked, but again, its a good problem to have.

Being in DC we are lucky, we are fairly insulated from recessions because of the Federal Govt, but I truly feel for those who are losing their jobs or being underemployed as many people are cutting out optional spending. Fewer people fixing up their houses or finishing off basements means less money for those who rely on that work for a living, fewer people eating out means meager tips for students that need them to pay for school.

What really gets me fired up is the mortgage lending crisis. Lending money to people who had no way of making those payments in the long term will have a much bigger impact on the rest of us. We will end up paying for that - not those who took out the loans or those who GAVE the loans wrecklessly. But I guess I should just take a few deep breaths and let it go!
RickG

Post by RickG »

flip-flop, the mortgage crisis was steaming me too. But, then I remembered that the big run up in house prices in the DC area was partly fueled by the run up elsewhere. Only, our prices are not going down by much. I had two neighbors put houses on the market for high-end prices and they are getting some sales traction. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully the housing recession will settle down by 2015 so I can sell the house and go live on a boat.

JT, heating oil is getting scary. There's no utility commision keeping the rates low. I just bought diesel sedan and $4 per gallon sure feels like STJ. The 40 mpg feels pretty good, though.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

RickG wrote: Hopefully the housing recession will settle down by 2015 so I can sell the house and go live on a boat.

Cheers, RickG
I am with you on that one, brother! I just have to wait a little longer. The boy is 1, 17 more years, that puts me at 2025! :( Seems so far away. You got a 10 year head start on me!
JT

Post by JT »

RickG wrote: wrote:
JT, heating oil is getting scary. There's no utility commision keeping the rates low. I just bought diesel sedan and $4 per gallon sure feels like STJ. The 40 mpg feels pretty good, though.

Cheers, RickG
Rick, Again We're in a little bit different position then most in that I'm able to hustle a lot of firewood for free. We heat primarily with an old Vermont Casting woodstove. Even with this wimpy winter we burned over 5 cords. Cutting, loading/unloading and splitting all that wood warms me twice, and keeps this old boy in pretty good shape. The oil company came by and filled my oil tank last month and I'm confused as to how we even burned 25 gallons. Even that cost us over $100.00, but that was it for the winter!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Wow, 5 cords of firewood is a good workout. Think of how much you saved on gym memberships and cosmetic surgery!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

JT wrote:

Cheers, RickG
Rick, Again We're in a little bit different position then most in that I'm able to hustle a lot of firewood for free. We heat primarily with an old Vermont Casting woodstove. Even with this wimpy winter we burned over 5 cords. Cutting, loading/unloading and splitting all that wood warms me twice, and keeps this old boy in pretty good shape. The oil company came by and filled my oil tank last month and I'm confused as to how we even burned 25 gallons. Even that cost us over $100.00, but that was it for the winter!
JT you make me miss the smell of woodsmoke from my childhood. Our house was completely heated by woodstove. My step father was a cabinet maker and builder and insisted on it. It was so messy and I HATED stacking wood on my weekends as a kid, but now I miss that real warmth! There is nothing quite like wood heat. And I would be happy to trade my gas bill for your $100 for the WINTER! WOW!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

JT wrote:

Cheers, RickG
We went through 5 cords as well with an old Better 'n Bens in the living room and a big old All Nighter in the basement. Even with all the wood we went through about 100 gallons from August to March, but I need a hot shower when I get up in the middle of winter :lol:
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

[quote] We heat primarily with an old Vermont Casting woodstove. Even with this wimpy winter we burned over 5 cords. Cutting, loading/unloading and splitting all that wood warms me twice, and keeps this old boy in pretty good shape

JT - Are you my husband in disguise? :wink: He was just complaining that his physique has gone to hell since he finished splitting and stacking our wood - and he uses the "warms me twice" line also. It's a family joke that if we're driving down the road and he spots a fallen tree, the chainsaw may come out of the back of the Tahoe.....

We can't heat our whole house with the woodstove, but it sure helps lower our natural gas bill
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

We will be getting a tax rebate. Our trip to STJ is not dependent on it, but we will certainly spend it there. Maybe a boat charter!

We don't take a big vacation every year. Next year it will probably be Branson again. Don't laugh, we always have a good time there, even though we don't care much for country music.

I don't think the rebate is a good idea either, but sure not going to send it back. As CG said, not until tax time next year. :P
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We do work hard and we'll be getting the rebate, but thankfully it doesn't fund our travel. Given the choice...like flip said, I'd be happier to make more money annually and not qualify!! I'll be purchasing a new washer and dryer that I'm addicted to after having them in the villa we stayed in last August. We'll obviously have to add more money also. We could go ahead and purchase them, but I figure having that rebate arrive will make it seem like they cost us practically nothing.

The mortgage crisis ticks me off the most too!! When we bought our house, they told us all the ways we could finance our house and also agreed to loan us an ungodly sum of money. It makes me mad that the loan companies loaned the money, but I also often wonder how people don't look at their finances and wonder how they'll afford things if it doesn't work out the way it's presented!!
JT

Post by JT »

flip-flop wrote:

"Being in DC we are lucky, we are fairly insulated from recessions because of the Federal Govt, but I truly feel for those who are losing their jobs or being underemployed as many people are cutting out optional spending. Fewer people fixing up their houses or finishing off basements means less money for those who rely on that work for a living, fewer people eating out means meager tips for students that need them to pay for school."

The Washington Post classified has [130] one hundred thirty forclosure/trustee sales today! Granted, most are in lower income areas,but they are not just in DC, they are also in Fairfax County, Montgomery County, etc, Every week there are more and more listed in middle class neighborhoods. Today the Post's classified has 3x as much space dedicated to forclosures then the rest of all of the classified section put together!

BTW, Flipper, you're right on both counts concerning the wood heat. It's a dirty pain in the tookus, but it is such a warm, welcoming heat.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

JT, cutting your own wood only warms you up twice? It warms me up eight times, that is why it is such a bargain. Here's how:

1) Cutting it down and sawing it up.
2) Loading it
3) Unloading it
4) Splitting it
5) Stacking it
6) Carrying it into the house
7) Burning it - yippee!
8) Cleaning out the stove and carrying out the ashes
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

We have to pay thousands of dollars this year on April 15th :( . I changed jobs at the end of 2006 and wasn't able to contribute to a retirement plan at work. And, my hubby does carpentry work on the side (he loves it) and we were taxed out the wazoo for that. The only thing that can help us is for me to contribute to an account I have my 401K in from my previous employer - $4000.00 dollars!!!!!! :shock: Now that hurt the vacation fund. Hubby is thinking twice now about the side jobs and also going to charge more to cover the taxes. Not fair!!!!
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I thought I heard that the checks won't start going out until mid to late May.