DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Okay everyone - I understand Jorge's point/wish - but - this is the "Off Topic" forum :)

I have a sort of different but related question - why is it that we (by we I basically mean us Americans) are loathe to talk about these subjects? I find this phenomenon very interesting in itself. Why are politics a taboo subject? Why do people get so worked up - and why do so may of us paint ourselves into such corners (defending so rigidly our own beliefs)? I know it is difficult to discuss politics, etc. with people that don't share your views on those subject, but talking to like minded people all the time is like preaching to the converted (i.e. boring).

That being said - I'm not going to get into my political beliefs here - as the "moderator" I wouldn't want to alienate any potential user or give them a "personal" reason not to come to the site... but isn't that lame to have to think/act like that? If I was a winger or a commie, would it really make a difference to people who want to talk about the Virgin Islands?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
LMG

Post by LMG »

Now this I can relate to, Anthony. I'm not one to get into discussions regarding politics, sex, religion with most people, really, but I often do wonder why we have to avoid it so much.

Last year, on a brief trip to Mexico, we were invited to join a group of locals at a restaurant. They were all Mexicans native to that region and though my Spanish only keeps up about 3/4 time ( :) ) I found myself in awe of how easily they spoke of politics with one another. There were many differing views at the table and a lot of spirited discussion but no one was defensive, or offensive, for that matter. I wished these kinds of conversations were more common place in my daily life because what it came down to, for me anyway, is that you get to learn so much.

Anyway, back to lurkdom I guess. :)
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Anthony wrote:If I was a winger or a commie, would it really make a difference to people who want to talk about the Virgin Islands?
Absolutely not.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I think part of the problem is that we tend to "talk" politics with the real goal of winning the "argument" instead actually listening to the other person's viewpoint. That mentality tends to foster arguments that spiral out of control.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I 100% agree with Pete.

As a teenager and college student, I was very politically active and my group of friends debated about hot topics all the time. We "DEBATED"... we didn't argue.

Our goal was not to win but to share opinions and viewpoints so we could learn from each other, see things from a different point of view, sometimes even change our minds.

As an adult, I find this sharing of opinions virtually impossible. People feel that their point of the view is the only point of view and anyone else is an asshole.

I don't get that. I haven't lived anyone else's life but my own and there are many things I have not experienced. I am always open to a different point of view. I don't have to agree with it or like it but I don't think people are assholes for thinking different.

As a sidenote: I do not include extremism in this. Extrememism doesn't have a place is the real world. Nothing is black & white like that.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I know I won't get involed with this online because you can't tell by the typed word how the person wants something to come across and I don't want to lose any of you as friends I haven't met yet
Tom
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Anthony wrote:I have a sort of different but related question - why is it that we (by we I basically mean us Americans) are loathe to talk about these subjects?
I am not loathe to talk about politics at all! I love to talk about politics, heck, I was on the debate team in high school. It's just that I think the best conversations on this particular topic happen face to face, not online. My friends and family fall on both sides of the poltical divide, and we can all sit around and talk/debate politics without taking it personally. It's actually fun, and sometimes enlightening.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lex

Post by Lex »

I think that there are many political issues where people can civilly discuss opposing views and then just agree to disagree. There are other issues that seemed more fundamentally rooted in people's moral or religious beliefs where the opposing view would seem absolutely unacceptable to one person. These issues might include abortion, war, capital punishment, racial attitudes, same sex marriages. These are the sort of issues where it's much more difficult to simply agree to disagree.

These are also the kind of deeply controversial issues that can abruptly alter one person's perception of another when discovered or disclosed.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

SJfromNJ wrote:What I don't like is when people just spout out stuff they heard on talk radio/TV without applying how that related to their own life. The lack of creative thinking in these type of message board conversations is boring and useless.
The all out war on talk radio is getting a bit old. As a conservative, talk radio is the ONLY place where you can hear like-minded conservatives discuss the issues. You will not get that on CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, Air America (failed liberal talk radio), or in the editorial pages of the NYT or LAT.

Have you heard of the Fairness Doctrine? If not, read about it...I think you'll be surprised at what you find. People like Kerry, Durbin, and Obama would like to bring the Fairness Doctrine back, which is quite possibly the most un-Constitutional legislation ever proposed.

I'm only saying this not to start another arguement, but to let you know that talk radio has it's place. Conservative talk radio succeeds (Laura Ingraham, Hannity, Rush, Neil Boortz, Mark Levin, etc), while liberal talk radio constantly fails (Air America - not withstanding their bail-out by George Soros, Al Franken, etc).

Again, you just don't hear about Obama's pastor first from Katie Couric or Wolf Blitzer, or Maureen Dowd. That is a fact.

You also don't hear about the amnesty bill that John McCain tried to sneek by us in the middle of the night without conservative talk radio.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Dear Anthony,

I prefer not to talk politics because it degenerates into name-calling about this admistration, previous administrations etc. This is especially true with relatives.

I love my extended family very much, they are very good people. But they seem to assume that I hold the same views as they do. Some of them live several states away, and I refuse to let them bring up their petty political grievances in the brief time we have together. That is my main reason for avoiding political talk.

Besides, in this forum, I doubt that I could hold my own against a lawyer. There wouldn't be any chance the opposition could change my views, so why upset myself? That said, I don't mind watching other forum members discuss the issues if that is what they like to do. Just keep it clean and civil!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

So, did you hear the one about the monkey that walked into the bar?

:lol:
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

I'm pretty much a hillbilly like George not the most refined individual but know how to have fun. This is the off topic forum though so if people want to discuss politics let it fly. If someone wants to think less of someone because there political opinions then shame on them. This is America and thats our right to have a multitude of views on politics thats what makes our Country great. That being said heres my two cents.
If ya think the country is headed in the right direction and happy with what we got vote McCAIN.
Feel different and not so happy with what we got vote for whoever wins the Democratic ticket.
Just make sure ya vote its your duty.
Hey whats wrong with talking about sex see no problem with it probably my factory enviroment upbringing we joke about it all the time.
Now back to that Monkey joke :D :D :D

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:50 am.