Has the economic situation changed your USVI travel plans?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote: Lemmings to the sea. You get what you deserve.

He did not end the cold war. Anymore than Vietnam was LBJ's war. These things happen over time.
"You get what you deserve"...Sounds like Barack's preacher the week after 9-11 when he said "America's Chicken's Have Come Home to Roost". Classy.

I'll grant you that things happen over time. Given that...did Bill Clinton have any culpability for 9-11? Or, do you presribe to the belief of the Left's Second Coming, Michael Moore, that Bush was out playing golf his first three months in office and that is why these savages attacked?

Maybe though, we should look into the very words spoke by Bin Laden himself...After 9-11, he said that he took note of the way America (Clinton) handled the debacle in Somalia (ie Blackhawk Down)...When one of our Blackhawk's crashed, and again the savages dragged our dead soldiers through the streets. Subsequently, instead of staying there and fighting for yourself, Clinton withdrew. Bin Laden said it was this ACTION that led him to believe that he could attack the USA with little to no recourse.

Read a history book. Get your nose out of the NYT once in awhile.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

This is the most depressing thread I've ever read. Even though it's the Off Topic forum, this has become waaaay too political for me! I'm outta' here!
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

soxfan22 wrote:
Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote: Lemmings to the sea. You get what you deserve.

He did not end the cold war. Anymore than Vietnam was LBJ's war. These things happen over time.
"You get what you deserve"...Sounds like Barack's preacher the week after 9-11 when he said "America's Chicken's Have Come Home to Roost". Classy.

I'll grant you that things happen over time. Given that...did Bill Clinton have any culpability for 9-11? Or, do you presribe to the belief of the Left's Second Coming, Michael Moore, that Bush was out playing golf his first three months in office and that is why these savages attacked?

Maybe though, we should look into the very words spoke by Bin Laden himself...After 9-11, he said that he took note of the way America (Clinton) handled the debacle in Somalia (ie Blackhawk Down)...When one of our Blackhawk's crashed, and again the savages dragged our dead soldiers through the streets. Subsequently, instead of staying there and fighting for yourself, Clinton withdrew. Bin Laden said it was this ACTION that led him to believe that he could attack the USA with little to no recourse.

Read a history book. Get your nose out of the NYT once in awhile.
Look, I'm not going to change your mind. You're not going to change mine. You're going to have to continue this argument by yourself.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

WOW did this topic get waaay off track here. Just to add my $.02 :wink: "Thank goodness "dubya" is moving out soon!!" :P
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
JT

Post by JT »

OK, Now I'm getting singled out. Yes I refered to"carpetbaggers." I think one time.

Before I go any further Reagan, or Bush senior taking credit for the downfall of the Berlin Wall is akin to the rooster taking credit for the dawn.

I've got a dinner cooking, ready soon, but later tonight I will stop back here to defend myself...

I will tell a story about 'Murder in Coral Bay". As far as the price of oil, and the price of eggs in China, and India, for that matter this will be continued...

Pete, talking about getting pissed off...
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
jmq

Post by jmq »

SJ - Agree the whole subprime thing has exacerbated things and of course worldwide demand for oil has put upward pressure on price. My point was that most folks don’t realize current foreign policy is responsible for another 20% on top of current market price. Of course, “current market price” has always been way too low and short sighted for such a finite resource.
Maybe NASCAR needs to lead the way on hydrogen fueled cars?

Regarding job growth, also agree, just trying to point out the inaccuracies and half truths often cited by Bush (as recently as Friday) now that they've turned their spin doctors onto the economy.
Spin Doctors? (the music group) Whatever happened to them?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote: Look, I'm not going to change your mind. You're not going to change mine. You're going to have to continue this argument by yourself.
Pete, we can respectfully agree to disagree.

This is why libs and conservatives will never agree...We believe in free market principles, low taxes, low spending, strong national defense, capitalism, entrepreneurship, minimal social programs, personal responsibility, English as the official language, school vouchers, God in the pledge, the right to pray in school, right to bear arms, etc.

Liberals, for the most part, believe in the opposite of all of the above.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

[quote="soxfan22.

This is why libs and conservatives will never agree...We believe in free market principles, low taxes, low spending, strong national defense, capitalism, entrepreneurship, minimal social programs, personal responsibility, English as the official language, school vouchers, God in the pledge, the right to pray in school, right to bear arms, etc.

Liberals, for the most part, believe in the opposite of all of the above.[/quote]

I really did not want to get into this mess of a discussion, but come on.
I am a Liberal and your addition of "for the most part" does not make your comments any less offensive. I am not attacking you but just trying to point out how insane this post has become.

Anthony asked a question about the economy affecting your travel to the USVI. Remember the USVI? The one thing that brought us all here in the first place

I realize that this is the Off topic forum, but how off topic can we get? Hurling insults and calling people names?
Maybe we should ask Anythony for a "I just don't like you" forum?
This is the internet folks, there is a whole, big world of people that don't think like you that are on the other end of your computer. What good will it do to argue with them?
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

jmq wrote:Of course, “current market price” has always been way too low and short sighted for such a finite resource.
You see, that's it right there. It is the MARKET that sets prices, not the industry or government. Who are we to say that prices are too low or too high? Free Market Principles!

OPEC likes oil prices to be maintained around $70 per barrel. They don't like to go too high because that will encourage other countries to drill new oil fields...There is no cost advantage to doing so when prices are between $70 and $100 a barrel. You are right that the falling dollar is largely responsible, because as the value of the dollar falls, OPEC has to increase price to maintain their profit margins. Yes, these companies are in business to make a profit.

As for the person who said it would not be worth it to build refineries...Maybe not. However, we could certainly drill in ANWR...We COULD drill off our coastline...Cuba and China are about to begin drilling 45 miles off our coast in the Florida Strait for oil. Environmentalists and the Sierra Club will not allow us to do so. But two communist countries can do so? How does this make any sense?

HOW? HOW? HOW?

Why is it SO BAD for kids to say the word God in the Pledge of Allegience?
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

XIslandGirl...I don't think that I did any "name-calling". I simply pointed out well known differences, albeit in a very simple way, in the issues between the two parties.

My apologies if I insulted you.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

In the spirit of threadjacking ...I agree with Pete. Disney (where I am at this very moment) is a SOUL sucking experience. Sorry Pete to put words in your mouth. I am here for the kids. This will be my first of at most 2 trips (I don't want kid #2 in therapy because his sister went to Disney and he didn't).

Today was Epcot. Tomorrow Flip-Flop is taking the day off to lounge poolside. Wednesday MAGIC KINGDOM. Thursday another day off. Friday Animal Kingdom. I hope I survive.

PS I still appreciate every tip about Disney given. Whoever mentioned the candy making lady in Japan was spot on. She was a highlight.

I would give almost anything to be sitting on St. John right now.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
jmq

Post by jmq »

soxfan22 wrote:This is why libs and conservatives will never agree...We believe in free market principles, low taxes, low spending, strong national defense, capitalism, entrepreneurship, minimal social programs, personal responsibility, English as the official language, school vouchers, God in the pledge, the right to pray in school, right to bear arms, etc.

Liberals, for the most part, believe in the opposite of all of the above.
Damn all those environmental wacko gay atheist flag burning libs! Should get our guns out, round em up, and deport em along with all those immigrants!
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

flip-flop wrote:In the spirit of threadjacking ...I agree with Pete. Disney (where I am at this very moment) is a SOUL sucking experience. Sorry Pete to put words in your mouth. I am here for the kids. This will be my first of at most 2 trips (I don't want kid #2 in therapy because his sister went to Disney and he didn't).

Today was Epcot. Tomorrow Flip-Flop is taking the day off to lounge poolside. Wednesday MAGIC KINGDOM. Thursday another day off. Friday Animal Kingdom. I hope I survive.

PS I still appreciate every tip about Disney given. Whoever mentioned the candy making lady in Japan was spot on. She was a highlight.

I would give almost anything to be sitting on St. John right now.
It sounds like a miserable experience. But, I'm sure the kids are enjoying it, right?

I went back and read your original post wherein you were getting advice about Disney. That entire thread made me anxious. More power to you for taking on this trip for the sake of your kids.

Totally random, but have you ever seen the movie, "West World?" It's pretty old...Yule Brenner was in it, if that's any indication of just how old. Anyway, it takes place in an old west theme park where the robots go awry. The Yule Brenner character is a robot who goes haywire and is stalking the park visitors. I always think of that movie when I think about Disney. Creepy.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air