Has the economic situation changed your USVI travel plans?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Pete...I'm taking my 2 year old son to Disney. I am pretty sure he will enjoy himself (even though it is a "Big, EVIL Corporation").

As for Reagan...He thought it would be a good idea to be able to defend ourselves with Anti-Ballistic Missles...Liberals laughed him off as crazy, referring to his plan as "Star Wars". Remember that meteor that we shot down two weeks ago that was plummeting towards Earth? Yeah...Good thing Dems were on the wrong side of that issue, too!

He Ended. The. Cold. War.

Oh, and brought about the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall."

17 million new jobs created from 1981 - 1989

Black unemployment cut in half

28% increase in the Gross Domestic Product during the 1980's (republican = tax cuts = healthy economy)

Introduced the Strategic Defense Initiative - the possibility to defend ourselves through anti-ballistic missles mounted on satellites - Russia did not have the economic capability to keep up with this and our military build-up - thus their fall.

Elected twice in two of the biggest landslides in the history of our Presidential elections.

Presided over the biggest period of economic growth and prosperity in the history of our country. Also known as the 1980's. The decade of indulgence. The "Me" decade. But he was a "C" list actor, at best. Top 5 Pres, though.

If not for Reagan, we would still be building shelters in our backyards, and our kids would still be practicing hiding under their desks at school - you remember that, don't you? But wait, that's not a good thing for libs, because kids under desks = dependence on Federal Government!

He has been the most influential Pres since Kennedy.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

soxfan22 wrote:Pete...I'm taking my 2 year old son to Disney. I am pretty sure he will enjoy himself (even though it is a "Big, EVIL Corporation").

As for Reagan...He thought it would be a good idea to be able to defend ourselves with Anti-Ballistic Missles...Liberals laughed him off as crazy, referring to his plan as "Star Wars". Remember that meteor that we shot down two weeks ago that was plummeting towards Earth? Yeah...Good thing Dems were on the wrong side of that issue, too!

He Ended. The. Cold. War.

Oh, and brought about the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall."

17 million new jobs created from 1981 - 1989

Black unemployment cut in half

28% increase in the Gross Domestic Product during the 1980's (republican = tax cuts = healthy economy)

Introduced the Strategic Defense Initiative - the possibility to defend ourselves through anti-ballistic missles mounted on satellites - Russia did not have the economic capability to keep up with this and our military build-up - thus their fall.

Elected twice in two of the biggest landslides in the history of our Presidential elections.

Presided over the biggest period of economic growth and prosperity in the history of our country. Also known as the 1980's. The decade of indulgence. The "Me" decade. But he was a "C" list actor, at best. Top 5 Pres, though.

If not for Reagan, we would still be building shelters in our backyards, and our kids would still be practicing hiding under their desks at school - you remember that, don't you? But wait, that's not a good thing for libs, because kids under desks = dependence on Federal Government!

He has been the most influential Pres since Kennedy.
Lemmings to the sea. You get what you deserve.

The "Star Wars" gambit was clever, not because it actually would work, but because he placed the USSR in a position where they couldn't afford, economically, to counter it. Reagan out spent the Soviets, at our expense.

He did not end the cold war. Anymore than Vietnam was LBJ's war. These things happen over time.

Read a history book and get back to me.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Okay, you're kind of pissing me off.

First, we didn't shoot down a "meteor." It was a satellite...our own freakin' satellite.

Second, to say that Reagan ended the cold war is absurd. Yes, he was the guy in office when we all saw the photo ops of "the wall' being dismantled. The fall of communism was a steady path that began before Kennedy. The US embarked on a strategy of isolationism as far back as Eisenhower. Reagan was fortunate to have a soft Soviet leader who, himself, was under political pressure.

Ronald ignored America on domestic issues. Spoiled brat, baby Bush has been worse. Care to make any arguments in his defense?
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

You are right, it was a satellite. I misspoke. Nonetheless, we shot that mother out of the sky before it came down on us.

As for Reagan, you are just a typical liberal unable to give any credit to anybody with an "R" next to his name. Sad.

And yes, I will make arguements on Bush's behalf - when I get home from work tonight.

BTW...Did the SU fall under your boy Carter? No. Under LBJ? No. Under Kennedy? No. It fell under Reagan because he did not try to appease the Soviets. He said things like "Trust, but verify"..."Peace through strength"..."Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall...".

After Carter (the WORST Pres in our history) learned of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, he said “This action of the Soviets,” he told ABC News, “has made a more dramatic change in my own opinion of what the Soviets’ ultimate goals are than anything they’ve done in the previous time I’ve been in office.”

You can say the ball was rolling towards the breakup of the Soviet Union, but that simply was NOT true...No matter how many times you read it in your NY Times.

I think Pete, it is time you pick up a book other than a "textbook" written by some liberal think tank.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

soxfan22 wrote:I am now the most disliked person on this board.
There are plenty of Republicans I like - I may not agree with them, but I like em enough :)
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

soxfan22 wrote:You are right, it was a satellite. I misspoke. Nonetheless, we shot that mother out of the sky before it came down on us.

As for Reagan, you are just a typical liberal unable to give any credit to anybody with an "R" next to his name. Sad.

And yes, I will make arguements on Bush's behalf - when I get home from work tonight.

BTW...Did the SU fall under your boy Carter? No. Under LBJ? No. Under Kennedy? No. It fell under Reagan because he did not try to appease the Soviets. He said things like "Trust, but verify"..."Peace through strength"..."Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall...".

After Carter (the WORST Pres in our history) learned of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, he said “This action of the Soviets,” he told ABC News, “has made a more dramatic change in my own opinion of what the Soviets’ ultimate goals are than anything they’ve done in the previous time I’ve been in office.”

You can say the ball was rolling towards the breakup of the Soviet Union, but that simply was NOT true...No matter how many times you read it in your NY Times.

I think Pete, it is time you pick up a book other than a "textbook" written by some liberal think tank.
You are completely right and I was completely wrong.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

soxfan22 wrote: I am now the most diliked person on this board.
Nah, I like ya even more now :)
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Two weeks to the Home Opener. Yankees Rule

Now I'm hated :-)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

sailorgirl wrote:Two weeks to the Home Opener. Yankees Rule

by whom???????? ;)
not me, girl!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

mbw1024 wrote:
sailorgirl wrote:Two weeks to the Home Opener. Yankees Rule

by whom???????? ;)
not me, girl!
Why by "soxfan" naturally, sorry just pulling a little chain this afternoon
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

all in good fun i'm sure

see ya in the bronx!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

mbw1024 wrote:all in good fun i'm sure

see ya in the bronx!
I believe the correct pronunciation is "Da Bronx" :-)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

yeah, there ;)
jmq

Post by jmq »

soxfan22 wrote:You know, it's funny...For the last hmmm, maybe 5 years, the economy has been doing great...Low unemployment, new job creation, somewhat stable dollar (until recently), dow jones at all time highs...etc. When Clinton was Pres, we had to hear everyday how the unemployment rate was less than 6%. Well, it's been less than 5% under this Pres, and you never hear a word about it. Now that we've hit a slow down in the market (mainly because people took loans they had no business taking), you'd think we were headed for a depression.
OK I gotta respond to this.

Yep Bush was in NYC on Friday, trying Midtown up in knots, giving an economic “address” full of the usual half truths that will be repeated ad nauseum until the uninformed believe it.

He boasted of 52 consecutive months of job growth during his presidency. What matters is the magnitude of growth, not ticks on a calendar. The economic expansion under Bush — which it is safe to assume is now over — produced job growth of 4.2 percent. That is the worst performance over a business cycle since the government started keeping track in 1945.

Bush also talked approvingly of the recent unemployment rate of 4.8 percent. More half truths. A low rate is good news when it indicates a robust job market. The unemployment rate ticked down last month because hundreds of thousands of people dropped out of the work force altogether. Worse, long-term unemployment of six months or more, hit 17.5 percent, the kind you find in a recession.

He was flat wrong to say wages are rising. On Friday morning, the day he spoke, the government reported that wages failed to outpace inflation in February, for the fifth straight month. Guess he missed those reports.

Exports have surged of late, but largely on the back of a falling dollar. The weaker dollar makes American exports cheaper, but it also pushes up oil prices, as does flooding world markets with dollars to the tune of 18 billion of them a month going over to Iraq. World oil supplies are at a 15 yr high, price per barrel should be about $80, but because of the sad shape of the dollar it is $100+. Gas $1.35 gal in 2000. Gas fast approaching $4 gal in 2008. Mission Accomplished!

All this said, and to tie it into the original question, lotsa people are sure starting to feel it and vacation travel is no doubt a lagging indicator, so it may not show up for awhile.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide