John's Head road

Travel discussion for St. John
Wanda Creech

John's Head road

Post by Wanda Creech »

Has anyone used John's Head Rd. from Centerline to the North Shore Rd.? I know it is a dirt road, but that's all. I can't think where it comes out on North Shore Rd. We will be staying at Sago Palms this summer and were wondering if we should try it.
Beach Creecher
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Yes, I have. We've stayed twice at a villa off this road (Cinnamon Tarn). We drove down to the North Shore Road a couple of times on John Head but to be honest, we actually found it faster/more enjoyable to go back out to Centerline and drive up to the intersection of the North Shore Road rather than go all the way down John Head. The road is very bumpy, with lots of pointy rocks, and lots of switchbacks. It's definitely doable, but I would not say it is a time saver. Someone on this forum (I can't remember who) accidentally drove their car off the road on John Head.

If you do take it all the way down, the road comes out onto North Shore Road just a bit before Cinnamon Bay.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Thanks liamsaunt.
That was what I was thinking. We might try it once just to see it.
Beach Creecher
RickG

Post by RickG »

We drove it in April. Once is enough.

It's an interesting drive down what is more of a donkey trail. The road looks as though it has been kept in the worst possible shape to discourage site seeing and casual driving. Parts are paved near villas, and there are a good number of them on the road. The vision of a concrete truck going down this road is scary.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Thanks RickG
Second thought, maybe not a good idea We will stay on the other rosds.
Beach Creecher
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I'm trying to figure out where this road connects to Centerline Road. Is it Route 206? That's the turnoff that goes to the Catherineburg ruins.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
steve

Post by steve »

I have stayed at villas off this road many times. I am used to rough roads so I have no problem going up and down it. The beauty of staying in Catherinberg is being so close to the N Shore beaches and having the view from up the hill. They graded it last year but the rains roughed it up again. Best traveled with a vehicle that has clearance, I use a jeep but have not needed the 4x4 except once during a down pour.
It takes me less than 7min to get to cinnamon from Wattapama rd which is where a number of the villas are (La Jolla Caribe, Cinnamon Ridge, Anole etc).

if you are strictly a city kind of person I can understand your anxiety, meeting cars on the road is always a challenge passing each other :!: :arrow:

Steve
BasUR

Post by BasUR »

We have stayed at Sago Palms and you'll be better off going back through Cruz Bay to the North Shore. The road to Sago is bumpy enough!
RogerD

Post by RogerD »

Pete, It is the same road that goes to Catherineberg ruins. We stayed at Anole villa and used this road several times to get over to Cinnamon bay. Pretty rough in spots going down but with a jeep its acheivable.
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

We're the ones who went off John's Head! The driver didn't have alot of St. John driving experience though. I would definately stay at a villa there again, the views are worth it...and my husband is a good driver. Don't know if I could get my daughters to stay up there again though, they weren't too happy looking over the cliff out of the back seat of the car as it hung there!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Do any of you have pictures along this road? I have looked on Google Earth, but other than that I haven't seen it or driven it. Thanks!
Image[/url]
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

This sounds like it would be a good run for a Jeep-Cam video :D
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

kygirl wrote:Do any of you have pictures along this road? I have looked on Google Earth, but other than that I haven't seen it or driven it. Thanks!
I have photos of the ruins that are along the road...or are you looking for pictures of the road itself? I'd have to poke around in my archives to see if I have any of the actual road.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Eric in NJ wrote:This sounds like it would be a good run for a Jeep-Cam video :D
You'd need a steady-cam!!! It's a road where I was hanging on the steering wheel to keep me in the seat!!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

RickG wrote:
Eric in NJ wrote:This sounds like it would be a good run for a Jeep-Cam video :D
You'd need a steady-cam!!! It's a road where I was hanging on the steering wheel to keep me in the seat!!

Cheers, RickG
When they were doing the jeep-cams of the Northshore Road I looked for the spot where John Head Road meets North Shore. I think they skipped over that section.

Liamsaunt,
I was hoping someone might have some pictures of the road, but I would love to see the ruins as well. Thanks!
Image[/url]