Best place to kyack on St John???

Travel discussion for St. John
pipergal

Best place to kyack on St John???

Post by pipergal »

Leaving for Shangri-la on Thursday and we are looking to kyack. What is the best place to rent kyack and go on a guided trip for maybe like 4hrs or so? Thanks in advance for all of your awesome advice:)
Pipergal
byado18

Post by byado18 »

My adult kids did a 3 hour combination kayak/snorkel trip with these guys are were thrilled with it.

http://www.hiddenreefecotours.com/
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks---I'm looking forward to responses on this from others as well. I took a half-day kayak trip with Arawak in Cruz Bay. www.arawakexpeditions.com/ As nice and as knowledgeable as they were, I didn't enjoy kayaking in and out of busy Cruz Bay harbor, which takes a fair amount of your time on the short half-day trip.

For this next trip, I'm looking at Hidden Reef Ecotours www.hiddenreefecotours.com/ They kayak in a quieter location in Round Bay on Coral Bay side----I would love to hear from someone who has been out with them.

I have also rented a kayak for half a day at Cinnamon Bay---they have a shack where you can rent kayaks. Crabby's in Coral Bay does this as well. Cinnamon Bay is a nice location if you're doing the self-guided kayak trip.
---Jim
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I wish I had done a hidden reef tour..

I did the one out of LowKey Watersports once, and we had to make a mad dash across the busy water to get to Lovango Cay. It was more of a workout than a serene paddle.

The kayaks had cockpits and rudders, which I prefer to ocean kayaks..

You can also rent kayaks from Maho campground and explore around Whistling Cay, Francis Bay.
laurie

Post by laurie »

We did a 1/2 day snorkel/kayak trip with hidden reef in Dec. Guides, very knowledgeable, friendly , helpful for 1st timers. They took us out of round bay to Pelican rock. I was most nervous about getting in and out of a kayak in deep water, turned out to be no problem with their expert advice. Although if you are a STJ "regular" and an avid snorkler, not sure you will feel your $$$ are well spent. Pelican rock is a great snorkle but be did not actually go near the rock and was a little disapointed with the amt of time we spent there. If I had more time would have driven to that area and had a leisurely snorkle. Laurie