Sunset

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Sunset

Post by California Girl »

I took this picture this evening from San Clemente. The island is Santa Catalina. If you look hard to the right, you'll see what looks like a smaller island, but that's still Catalina. That part is called "the isthmus." This was a very clear day!

Sea-nile - I hope you like this! :D

sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Wow, gorgeous CG!
I sure wish that I lived by the ocean. Lake Michigan just doesn't cut it, plus it would be a sunrise for me here. Thanks for posting!
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Thanks for sharing! I was there at Two Harbors on Monday. One of my favorite islands! This time of year there is really nobody there. Only the year 'round workers. Nice to see this time of year. But gotta tell you, the temps at night are too cold for me. Acclimated to the STJ temps now. Thought I would freeze on the plane trip back. Check out Catalina here through this link...
http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/

Thanks for sharing that pic California Girl.
California Girl

Puddlejumper - what were you doing at Two Harbors? Not much there unless you're diving, hiking or camping! But it's sure pretty there. I always wanted to plan go back & do some hiking. I don't know why we don't. We have our own little island and it's lots closer than St. John! :lol: Yes, it's been fairly cold around here recently, but over on Catalina it can really cook during the summer, but with breezes.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Gorgeous picture CG. I heard on the news yesterday that you guys had some snow out your way. I hope you keep warm. 8)
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Wow, what a gorgeous picture! Thanks for sharing!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Nice, very, very nice!!!
Coden
linne

Post by linne »

What an awesome picture CG. Is the place near your home?

Linne
California Girl

linne wrote:What an awesome picture CG. Is the place near your home?

Linne
Yes, Linne, very close to home! I live approximately 4 miles inland from the beach and that view is always there. Well, not always, many days you cannot see the island... and most of the time you cannot see the isthmus. You can get to Catalina either by a 2 hrs. boat ride or by plane. I've always taken the boat, but it's a little boring sometimes :) You need a book on that ride! LOL!
linne

Post by linne »

You must enjoy living so close to this view.
I didn’t knew anything about Catalina, but I
“googled” it and can see that you can snorkel from the island!! So is it worth to go out snorkelling from the beach near you too?

Linne
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

CG, would please stop posting these pictures. I know you're aware that way have a population explosion here and since they're all complaining about winter.............

WELL STOP IT
California Girl

Linne - Believe it or not, I've never snorkeled here. There ARE supposed to be some good spots (La Jolla Cove, for instance - pronounce "La Hoya"), but it seems like the water's always too cold for me :) Maybe now that I'm more of a snorkeler, I might give it a try this summer when the water warms up. I'll report back in August or September! :lol:

Promoguy - Oops! You're right! I've always said it's the Rose Parade's fault that California is crowded! The rest of the country watches the parade on New Year's Day and sees sunny California, and everyone says, "Honey, we need to move out there!" LOL! So now I guess it's my fault, too! :lol:
linne

Post by linne »

CG
It's so strange. Sometimes you are not going for experiences, which is near your home. If we have guests not living near us, it happens that I we show them things in our nearness, we haven’t seen before or seldom see.

Linne
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Don't worry CG I won't be moving out there I have some where else in mind :lol:
Tom
California Girl

Linne - I've often said that I need to be more of a tourist in my own town! It's so true that you often don't see the sights until someone comes to visit! :lol:

Tom - I think you and I probably have the same warm, slightly humid, turquoise water place in mind 8)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:41 pm.