For the New Jersey-ites

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jayseadee

For the New Jersey-ites

Post by jayseadee »

Hints are that either Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi will play the annual Fenway Park concert.

No dates yet, but thought you'd like to know.
janet
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

jayseadee, thanks for the heads up and thinking about us NJ people. When is the Fenway concert?

Most of us Bruce fans don't really like JBJ....well, at least I don't. He's a little too arrogant for me.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

not that I know anything but I think it's Bruce and the dates are August 23 and 24 or something close to that. just sayin' 8)
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

mbw1024 wrote:not that I know anything but I think it's Bruce and the dates are August 23 and 24 or something close to that. just sayin' 8)
The 2008 tour calendar is filling up and I do think August is most likely for the NJ/NYC dates as well. Nothing wrong with that as there'll be many girls in their summer clothes. 8) Well, could be a slight problem for me unless he plans to play the Music Pier in OC while I'm there.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Jerseyboy wrote:
mbw1024 wrote:not that I know anything but I think it's Bruce and the dates are August 23 and 24 or something close to that. just sayin' 8)
The 2008 tour calendar is filling up and I do think August is most likely for the NJ/NYC dates as well. Nothing wrong with that as there'll be many girls in their summer clothes. 8) Well, could be a slight problem for me unless he plans to play the Music Pier in OC while I'm there.
would you like me to suggest that to him? LOL
I hear there might be rumblings in the Bronx too but I find that unlikley.
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

mbw1024 wrote:would you like me to suggest that to him? LOL
I hear there might be rumblings in the Bronx too but I find that unlikley.
If he does play OC, that means I would have to scalp some from a senior citizen who has season tickets for the summer. It also would entail having to drink heavily across the bridge or in my rental house beforehand. :)

And the rumblings you hear in the Bronx are due to the fact that the Bosox will most likely have the best rotation in all of baseball next year. BUT, you still have to play the games. Agree and doubt new boss Hank would approve a concert during the season.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

hmmm - sounds like MaryBeth has the inside scoop.

Those dates sound right as the Sox are on an extended road trip (which includes 3 in the Bronx).
janet
jmq

Post by jmq »

I thought we were "New Jerseyans"?

Guess you would bar hop instead of tailgate at Fenway.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

Being that Bruce is a big Yankees/baseball fan, its got to be a thrill to get the chance to play there again.

I came across this old article I saved = very nice Springsteen/baseball story, from that monster year I think they were like 70-30 at the 100 game mark.
Man, I miss those Bernie Williams/Paul O'Neill teams...

Visit from The Boss - no, not George - Has Yankees Rockin'
By Mike Vaccaro Star-Ledger Staff Writer
08/13/98

NEW YORK | The guy in the white undershirt stood awkwardly in a corner of the home team's clubhouse, early, maybe two hours before the Yankees would batter the Minnesota Twins, 11-2, on a sun-splashed Bronx afternoon. He smiled shyly, arm around his 8-year-old son, not wanting to bother the ballplayers who cruised past on their way to another day at the office.
Nobody noticed him anyway, which is just the way he wanted it. He wore blue jeans, brown work boots and a brown painter's cap, looked like any other dad who decided to take a day off, show his kid how much fun baseball in the daylight can be.
It was easy to blend in, too. Besides a roomful of famous baseball players, there was Spike Lee, the movie maker, who had spent the morning filming a scene in the Yankee Stadium outfield. There was Reggie Jackson, holding court in another part of the room, wearing his old No. 44 uniform. He was explaining to the sportswriters why he was no longer working for the Yankees, insisting he didn't need this kind of attention anymore, even as he kept filling up all the notebooks.
"Look over there," the father told his son. "See that man? He used to be the best home run hitter in baseball years ago. He's in the Hall of Fame."
"Really?" the 8-year-old asked, staring at Reggie's gray-flecked hair. "Him?"
Dad had a laugh at that one. And it was then when one of the Yankees clubhouse boys walked over, handed the father a baseball, asked him to sign it. Which he did.
"Best wishes," he wrote in simple script. "Bruce Springsteen."
Soon enough, the word spread. Bernie Williams, the center fielder who keeps an electric guitar stashed in his corner locker stall, walked over to say hello and shake hands. Springsteen smiled and shook Williams' hand, introduced him to his son, Evan. Before long, the famous ballplayers were glancing and pointing at the man in the white undershirt and work boots.
"That's him?" they asked. "It doesn't look like him."
Of course, it didn't, but that didn't matter. Baseball players learn to move comfortably in crowds, famous faces gliding through their lives, feeling every day of the summer like rock stars. But they aren't rock stars, even they will admit as much. Put a rock star or movie star in the middle of the clubhouse and it changes the energy level significantly. Maybe it's the kinship of knowing what it's like to thrill 60,000 people at a time. Maybe it's the presence of someone even more familiar with adulation than the athletes.
Springsteen got a kick at how wide-eyed his boy was, ignoring the ballplayers' equally expansive expressions.
"This is his first real baseball summer," Springsteen said, walking down the hall toward the visitor's clubhouse. "That's all we've done this summer, play ball and talk ball and all of that. He played Little League this summer. His old man was the coach."
This happens every day of every summer, one generation introducing the game to the next, bringing them early for batting practice, showing them how to keep score, pointing out the nooks and crannies of an old ballpark. Sure, when your dad happens to have one of the most famous names in America, there are certain perks that go with your first trip to the yard.
You get to see the clubhouse, meet some players. You get to walk through the dugout. You get to listen to the stadium sound system blaring, "I'm Going Down," a tune featuring your pop on lead vocals and your mom singing backup.
Other than that, it's just like everyone else's first trip to the yard, right?
"I've always been a Yankee fan," Springsteen said. "In Freehold, all of my buddies were Yankee fans. We listened to them on the radio - when we weren't listening to Elvis or the Beatles."
Paul Molitor walked out of the Twins locker room just then, shook the Springsteens' hands.
"Wait here," Molitor told Evan, before ducking back into the room and retrieving a black bat. "Here. This is one of mine."
"Thank you," Evan said, gripping the bat with two hands, his eyes fixed on the Twins' DH-first baseman.
The adults exchanged some small talk before Molitor asked about Evan's game.
"He's getting better," Evan's dad said. "He's got a pretty good arm."
"Just like his pop," Molitor said. "I remember that video for 'Glory Days' where you pitched batting practice. Who was it you got in the ninth that time? Graig Nettles?"
"Yeah," Springsteen said through a laugh. "Nettles."
Batting practice was about to start, so Molitor had to say goodbye.
"You want to find our seats?" Springsteen asked his son. Evan nodded, and they walked back toward the Yankee dugout, near where their box would be. Dad looked at the bat and chuckled, "You're gonna need a duffel bag to carry all the stuff you got today."
"What's a duffel bag?" Evan asked, and his dad roared, put his arm around the boy's shoulder and explained. Then they went to their seats, disappeared into the crowd of 47,841, almost none of whom recognized Evan's dad, or knew he was in the house.
Just the way he wanted it.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I weep when my 2 most favorite worlds collide. I am not even sure I could handle a Bruce show in the big ball orchard in the Bronx. Who used to listen to Art Rust?

I took the tour at the Stadium. It's a thrill to take that field.
jmq

Post by jmq »

[quote="mbw1024"]the big ball orchard in the Bronx. Who used to listen to Art Rust? [quote]

Ah yes I remember him, and that was a great expession he used frequently. He was on WABC 770 right? Big boxing guy too, no?
I was listening to the Giants on the radio recently and had some pangs for Marty Glickman.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

that be him!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Due to the forum-ites, everyone's an '-ite' to me.

Correct, no tailgating at Fenway - caused a major stir when Jimmy Buffett performed a couple of years ago. Supposedly the diehard Parrotheads boycotted. Worked out for me as I got great seats on the 3rd base side.

Even as a diehard Sox (Red, in case you weren't sure) fan, I get the chills when I go to Yankee stadium - not all caused by the cold beer that gets thrown. Just kidding! I love Yankee stadium - it's such a great ballpark. I hope to get back at least once before it closes.
janet
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

jmq wrote:I came across this old article I saved = very nice Springsteen/baseball story, from that monster year I think they were like 70-30 at the 100 game mark.
Man, I miss those Bernie Williams/Paul O'Neill teams...
Would that be the magical year of 1998?

Speaking of Bruce and Paulie (The Warrior), O'Neill usually picked a Bruce song when he came up to bat. Not sure but I think it was usually 10th Ave Freeze-Out.

Bernie and Bruce just played together at the Torre event in November. Bern, baby, Bern!

MB - Just did the Stadium tour in July and also in 2002.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Paulie is a big fan. I saw him at a Meadowlands show in ... 2000? Reunion tour? I forget now. Molitor huge fan and was in the PIT at the St. Paul show a few weeks back.
Leiter and Mad Dog Russo sat behind me at a Convention Hall holiday show.

Also from the sports world Pat Reilly a huge fan and I know there are others I'm not thinking of right now.