Bracelet Question

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Bracelet Question

Post by Lulu76 »

Hi everyone,

I finally got my bracelet that I picked out on my trip on Friday (I ordered it when I got home; even mail from St. John isn't that slow :lol: ). Anyhow, I really like it. It's an all sterling silver knot bracelet.

What I don't know is exactly is when I should wear it. I know people who have hooks and such and wear them all the time (one of the girls traveling with us says she only takes hers off in the swimming pool). I'm just not sure when I should take it off to make sure that I don't damage the silver. Can I leave it on in the shower? While I wash the dishes?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. The only jewelry that I wear all the time is my silver necklace, which I had to take off a few weeks ago because it was tarnished all of a sudden, and I think a bubble bath may have been the culprit.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

LuLu, my husband has a sterling silver knot from Caravan Gallery. He doesn't wear it in the pool, hot tub or shower. I would suggest following the care guidelines for sterling silver to be safe.

Enjoy! I love my St. John hook bracelet because I wear it ever day and it reminds me of my favorite place!
NancyB
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have a sterling silver j-hook bracelet from Caravan Gallery, and I never take it off except to go through the metal detectors at the airport. The only time it got dull was when I wore it into a pool that had too much chlorine in it. But I was able to restore the sheen of the bracelet by rubbing it with lemon juice (at least I think that's what I did).

The major problem with my bracelet now is that it has lots of scratches on it from my banging around in it. Some of them are pretty deep. I'll probably get a new one next trip.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

liamsaunt, I have the same bracelet. A girl at one of the airports taught me that we don't actually have to take it off to go thru the metal detector. Just un-hook it and no problem. Pretty cool!
NancyB
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I also have the j-hook bracelet from Caravan Galleries. I never take it off, except to clean it occasionally. Silver polish works great.
Image[/url]
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I saw mine at Palm Jewelers in silver and gold, and I had planned to buy it from them when I got home. However, it is made by Caribbean Bracelet Company, and I was able to get it in all silver when I looked online to purchase it, so that's what I did.

Here's a link that I took on my very crappy temporary camera phone.

http://www.tmobilepictures.com/iedit/ph ... c98882.jpg?
Chet

Post by Chet »

Chlorine will tarnish silver faster that you can drink a painkiller. It's ok in the shower - soap and a wash cloth will shine it right up. All silver bracelts and rings get scratched - just take it to someone and have it buffed.

BTW - Last Saturday we were having drinks and oysters at Fins in Rehoboth Beach and the bartender, Tina, was wearing a silver j-hook bracelet AND a j-hook ring. She picked them up on her only trip to STJ 10 years ago!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

It is kind of like a secret society. I never had any desire to own one until I went to St. John and I "got" it. Now that I get it, I don't ever want to take it off.

When I looked around the plane on the way home, I saw that probably at least half the people had one. I wonder how many just got it for a souvenir vs. how many will cherish it and STJ and never take it off.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

It's said that Sonya on STX is the original inventor of the hook bracelet. She has many designs, including a design for each of the hurricanes. When on STX this year I got Marilyn earrings because it was after that hurricane that we ended up on STJ at Cinnamon Ridge for the first time and really fell in love with STJ. DH did some Sonya shopping on his own and suprised me with the two-tone hugs and kisses hook bracelet. One of the waitresses at Duggan's Reef had all of the hurricane hooks and wore them on the same wrist - lots of hooks but they looked great. Next trip I would like to get the Katrina and maybe the Piza earrings which are gorgeous. Here's Sonya's website:

http://www.sonyaltd.com/

- Margy
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Like so many of the previous posts, I only take mine off if I'm getting into chlorine (hot tub/pool,etc). My hook bracelet is a part of me now. Pete has one, too. The scratches are just a part of its character.

Every once in a while, I'll get it in my head that we need to polish them so, I take silver polish to them and buff them well. The scratches stay but they really shine...

My hook bracelet is a little like a special STJ secret that I wear everyday. Not many people know what it is, what it means, but who cares. I do. And, so does Pete.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

My husband bought me a gold hook bracelet from Freebird a couple of years ago. I have never taken it off! Love it. Last year I met a woman from STX while she was on STJ and she had 10 bracelets on one wrist. Some of them had diamonds on them. She told me that she left some of her bracelets at home. She always wears a multitude of them at one time. The owner of Freebird never takes her bracelets off either. So keep wearing it eventually you will have a lovely patina on your silver hook bracelet.
Adrienne

Post by Adrienne »

I never take mine (all 525) off and like Nancy B said - a TSA worker at the West Palm Beach airport showed me to just unhook it for the metal detectors! So, it literally never comes off. I wear it in my hot tub, I wear it in the pool, the shower, cleaning, and silver polish or a silver cloth shine it up just fine. It is definitely part of me! It even gets worn with my good jewelry. I grew up going to the Jersey Shore and it reminds me of the rope bracelets we used to get in the beginning of the summer, they would shrink around your wrist and by the end of the summer they were really nasty and ready to cut off....well, my hook braclet is my "grown-up" version of the rope bracelet - :D

Enjoy it!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Because mine is inlaid, I don't get it in water at all, unless it gets splashed when I'm washing my hands, and I take it off at night. Other than that I wear it everyday with everything. 8)
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Adrienne, I remember the 'shark' bracelets too! We have a house in Sea Isle. It's great to go in the Summer but STJ is where my heart is!
NancyB
cat

Post by cat »

Hubby and I love ours and we never take them off! The airport was the only time it left my wrist and now that I know I only need to unhook it I am good to go!

Every once in a while someone asks me if I have been to St Croix becasue they have on eform there I say no somewhere even better! St john!