California Girl - You're in our thoughts and prayers

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I was just checking the fire maps for San Diego County and it doesn't look like Torrey Pines is involved. If you are interested in seeing how these fires are tracking in real time, go here: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/slideshow/14 ... ml?taf=dgo

If for no other reason, check out the included satellite shots of the smoke & dirt blowing out to sea. Absolutely amazing stuff!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks for the update CA Girl! I will definitely check out those links.

We spent some time in Del Mar -- went to the Poisedon restaurant on the beach. Sounds like it's in the path of the fire (along with countless other businesses and homes.)
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

California Girl -

Glad to hear you're okay and thanks for the updates and links. I was in the Fallbrook area last spring and see from your link to the maps that they are in the mandatory evacuation area. The house I visited was so beautiful - up on a mountain with stunning views. I wonder if it will survive.

I am praying for you all that these winds die down and the firefighters can get the fires contained soon.

Be safe -

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I have been in touch with CA Girl, but I wanted to point out to anyone that lives near the areas of those that are affected, if you can, offer them a place to stay because the worst part about leaving your home is not knowing where you are going.

When we left at 2am, we had no idea where we were gonna stay. Thank God Cat and Hubby offered us a place for as long as we needed.

Also, CaliforniaGirl, please let us know where we can send donations because I know people are gonna need alot of help.

nothintolose
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those in the CA area that are in harms way. We prayed at Mass this morning for those people in the San Diego/Los Angeles area. Hope that those winds die down soon. CT Red Cross is hoping to get volunteers out to your area.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Add me on to your long list of prayers. You and all of those in the pathway of these horrible fires are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you all!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I just heard from a customer of my firm; he lives and works in the San Diego area. He was evacuated for 2 days (his second mandatory evacuation in 4 years) but still has his house and was just allowed to go back. Unfortunately, one of his direct reports lost his house yesterday morning. So sad, but he's safe at least.
SanDiegoMark

Post by SanDiegoMark »

Hi everyone! Thanks for keeping us left-coasters in your thoughts. Like most people here in San Diego I have a lot of friends who have been evacuated and are waiting to hear the fate of their homes. Luckily, we are in an area that is not at risk (at the moment). However, everything is covered with ash and the air is generally unhealthy - but I still have a home to go to so I can't complain. Thanks again for thinking of us!
California Girl

My husband, Rick, just sent me this picture he took with his camera phone. He works in a town called Rancho Santa Margarita which is near the Santiago fire. The fire is just cresting the ridgeline and headed his way. He said they can see flames from his office, but no one is evacuating thus far. (Photo taken at 3:57 PM, PDT)

flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Rick needs to get his butt out of there. We are definitely thinking of all of you out there.
ready4paradise

Post by ready4paradise »

CA Girl,

Your Northern CA friends are thinking of you. God Bless you and your family.

You and everyone in SoCal are in our thoughts and prayers.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

You all are in my prayers. My friend and family live near Malibu Colony a little north and they are safe.
I could not believe the pics.......I have heard the Santa Ana are worse then ever and that is making the wildfire season so much harder to fight.
God bless those fire fighters.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

My wife is down in Fallbrook now with her g/f who had thought she had lost their home. Theirs was the only one in a five townhouse row that survived. She and her husband had just bought the house in April. The townhouse next door which doesn't exist anymore was a new move in in July. Someone must have been looking over our friend.

In the San Fernando Valley you can cut the air with a knife. Tastes terrible.

The fires in Northern LA County are now moving west. And the San Diego not faring much better. I've lived here for 50 years and I've never seen it like that.

No rain for year and half. Desert climate. No Humidity along with the Santa Ana winds and that's what you get. Add a sick arsonist and you get more havoc.

Tracy in WI wrote:California Girl -

Glad to hear you're okay and thanks for the updates and links. I was in the Fallbrook area last spring and see from your link to the maps that they are in the mandatory evacuation area. The house I visited was so beautiful - up on a mountain with stunning views. I wonder if it will survive.

I am praying for you all that these winds die down and the firefighters can get the fires contained soon.

Be safe -

Tracy
California Girl

Not enough can be said about the fire fighters that are working round the clock under terrible conditions. The temperatures are in the 90's, the humidity is 6% - 9%, and winds are blowing steadily around 35 mph, with gusts up to 60 - 80 mph. Here are these men and women in turnout gear, heavy jackets, boots, and helmets working 12 - 24 hrs. shifts and they just don't give up. Cities and towns from states far and wide have sent their fire companies here to help us. They are all super heros in my book!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

California Girl wrote:Not enough can be said about the fire fighters that are working round the clock under terrible conditions. The temperatures are in the 90's, the humidity is 6% - 9%, and winds are blowing steadily around 35 mph, with gusts up to 60 - 80 mph. Here are these men and women in turnout gear, heavy jackets, boots, and helmets working 12 - 24 hrs. shifts and they just don't give up. Cities and towns from states far and wide have sent their fire companies here to help us. They are all super heros in my book!
Thinking of all of you, girl. Stay safe!