What are you doing differently this time around?

Travel discussion for St. John
mbw1024

What are you doing differently this time around?

Post by mbw1024 »

Many people here are making their X # trip back to the island. What are you doing differently than you did the first time or other times you have been there?

- We are in a different villa this time for a number of reasons.
- We are traveling at a different time (early Oct last time, late Nov. this time).
- and a big one for me is that I'm packing a carry on bag with some essentials (suits, undies, etc) because I don't think I planned for lost luggage last time, I just got lucky :)
- Last time we provisioned but in the long run it didn't seem necessary. We are trying HARD to spend a little less this time around. HA - will let you know how that works out!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I know that many people disagree with this, but I will never travel to STJ without sending a box down first. I filled a box with granola bars, almonds, peanuts, coffee, chips (Pringles, Lays stax, in the tube), crackers, Splenda for Chip’s coffee, and some other snack type foods. It was a so helpful and saved us a ton of money. We are snackers and we ate every bit of what we sent.

I will also bring a small cooler with frozen chicken, bacon, sausage, and egg beaters and a large block of aged VT cheddar (lactose free) and some salami/ pepperoni.

We were able to get to the house and have snacks right away while we settled in. It really was wonderful after traveling so many hours.

I will let villa gravity sink in more and spend one day just vegging out.

I will not travel with newbies! But you all know that.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

What I'm doing differently this time is going with 5 ladies I don't know. Can't wait!!!

X........you are so right about the newbie thing. Where did you send your box, how expensive was it, and how much did it weigh? I think I like that idea, just wondering about the logistics.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Here's what I'm doing this time, that I haven't done in the past 10 years of traveling to STJ:

1) Just going with hubby. This will be the first time since our honeymoon, that we've gone down by ourselves and I'm looking forward to spending quality time with the man who has chosen to put up with me for almost ten years!

2) Pack less! EVERY TIME I go, I end up bringing WAY too much. I am a lifetime, gold-star member of OPA (Over Packers Anonymous). I am going to do my best to keep my luggage down to 1 bag (under 50lbs) and 1 carry-on. I'll let you know how that works out!

3) Staying half-way between Coral Bay and Cruz Bay. I kind feel like Choc Hole/Cruz Bay is getting too busy. We were thinking of staying in Coral Bay but couldn't commit. So we split the diff and we're staying above Cinnamon Bay.

4) Not traveling in Spring/Summer. This is our first trip to the VI in December. All of my/our previous trips have been April - July.

5) No itinerary. In the past we've traveled with other folks which really necessitated some planning and organization. Even if we threw the plan out the window-- at least we had one. This time -- nothing (except for a couple of forum meet and greets at the Beach Bar). We're just flying by the seat of our pants baby! Who knows? I may spend an entire afternoon just sitting at Skinny Legs.

6) Spend more time snorkeling. Sad to say the last few times we've been down I haven't done as much of this.

7) Try and visit some of the other spots that we haven't gotten to.

8) Spend time at the Beach Bar-- sad to say I haven't EVER done this (I know, blasphemy!)

9) Try some new restaurants (some actually new, some new to me).

10) Try to enjoy just being still and quiet and happy even if it is just for a short while.

STJ just soothes my soul and I am going to practice being "present" more -- not so much looking or thinking about what we're doing next, or what's on tap for tomorrow. Just focusing on each day as it comes and having no pre-conceived notions about how it's going to turn out.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Next time we are:

Renting a smaller Villa
Staying closer to Cruz Bay
Only renting a car for 1/2 the week
Not checking any bags (packing much lighter)
Sending a box to our Villa ahead of time
Eating out more
Visiting the beaches we missed the 1st time
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Gromit wrote:Here's what I'm doing this time, that I haven't done in the past 10 years of traveling to STJ:

1) Just going with hubby. This will be the first time since our honeymoon, that we've gone down by ourselves and I'm looking forward to spending quality time with the man who has chosen to put up with me for almost ten years!

2) Pack less! EVERY TIME I go, I end up bringing WAY too much. I am a lifetime, gold-star member of OPA (Over Packers Anonymous). I am going to do my best to keep my luggage down to 1 bag (under 50lbs) and 1 carry-on. I'll let you know how that works out!

3) Staying half-way between Coral Bay and Cruz Bay. I kind feel like Choc Hole/Cruz Bay is getting too busy. We were thinking of staying in Coral Bay but couldn't commit. So we split the diff and we're staying above Cinnamon Bay.

4) Not traveling in Spring/Summer. This is our first trip to the VI in December. All of my/our previous trips have been April - July.

5) No itinerary. In the past we've traveled with other folks which really necessitated some planning and organization. Even if we threw the plan out the window-- at least we had one. This time -- nothing (except for a couple of forum meet and greets at the Beach Bar). We're just flying by the seat of our pants baby! Who knows? I may spend an entire afternoon just sitting at Skinny Legs.

6) Spend more time snorkeling. Sad to say the last few times we've been down I haven't done as much of this.

7) Try and visit some of the other spots that we haven't gotten to.

8) Spend time at the Beach Bar-- sad to say I haven't EVER done this (I know, blasphemy!)

9) Try some new restaurants (some actually new, some new to me).

10) Try to enjoy just being still and quiet and happy even if it is just for a short while.

STJ just soothes my soul and I am going to practice being "present" more -- not so much looking or thinking about what we're doing next, or what's on tap for tomorrow. Just focusing on each day as it comes and having no pre-conceived notions about how it's going to turn out.
that sounds pretty DARN good to me!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

YOu all are scaring me about taking newbies! We are ... in June. Warn me. What should I look out for?
Things I'm doing differently:
-Staying in a different area (Catherineberg, instead of Coral Bay)
-Visiting beaches we missed last time
-Going to the Beach Bar (We haven't been there either :oops: )
-Sending food down or taking a cooler (My only hesitation is I really like to carryon only. If we take a cooler, we will have to check something.)
Image[/url]
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

*I am with XIG, I am shipping a box of stuff. It is so worth it to not have to lug 22 lbs of that stuff. Mostly all baby related, but still it will help a lot. Totally worth the $28!

*Packing light. Its true, I swear. I have started the piles on the guest room bed. I am SERIOUSLY only taking what we need.

*Staying on STT the first night. Not really by choice, but we'll see. It might be nice to break up the trip. And we're staying at the Ritz Carlton, so it can't be too bad!

*Renting a dinghy on the north shore (we did this from Crabby's last time & I am so glad we did, esp. since he's stopped renting dinghy's!)

*Taking a HIKE. I know, a miracle!

*Taking my mama for her 58th birthday, which happens to fall on Thanksgiving & spending our first holiday on St. John (well if you don't count Memorial Day).

*Taking a BABY. We took the kindergartener to St. Martin when she was 5 mos, so we've done this before...but never to STJ. We'll see if we survive! Remember the plan was for him to be on the inside baking!

*Traveling in November for the first time. I've ALWAYS gone in May. Strange, but true.

*Flying our sitter there to help! This I think make be the very best decision we've made so far :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

No newbies!

Taking a cooler as checked luggage with frozen food.

No big bang grocery shopping on first day.

Day charter with Palm Tree Charter.

And, very little itinerary planning - goes with no newbies!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I got a sour taste for taking newbies when the newbies I took said they'd like to come back and stay at the Westin for the pool, tennis courts, beach chairs, and waiters. I told them they should go to Florida and save a ton of $$. It did not go over very well. They also rarely got their hair wet and returned their snorkel gear the second day. :?

I guess I took the wrong group.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

KYGirl-- just remember: we were all "newbies" once.

Newbie Survival 101 for the Non-Newbie bringing newbies:

**Prepare cheat sheet for the newbies-- ferry times, favorite restaurants, rules of the road, tips, etc.
**Make sure they understand how much things cost in advance (food etc.)
**Separate vehicles-- A MUST!!!
**Have an itinerary or plan for each day-- even if you don't use it.
**bring walkie-talkies (use while in the separate vehicles and around town if needed).
**explain the "water thing" in advance.
** explain the food/garbage thing -- no food left out EVER and garbage needs to be taken out daily!
** Make sure they bring plenty of sunscreen (minimum SPF 15) and bug spray.
** make sure they know it's HOT-- you're 14 degrees off of the equator.
**Make sure they know to ALWAYS smile and say hello BEFORE asking a local something!!
**Stay left!
**Decide how you are determining the bedroom selection BEFORE you go.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Changes for Feb 2008 trip (already "list-ing"!) -

1. Staying back in our favorite area, North Shore. We spend all of our beach time there anyway. We had way, way too much driving last year that really worked on our nerves.

2. Not provisioning. We got a starter basket each year but with the size of this group, the cost was really high. Because we will be getting on-island relatively early, two people volunteered to be designated shoppers for the first day.

3. Taking food. We got away from this the past three trips but will be taking a cooler this year. Again, group size and the age of our son will impact our dining choices. Also, the villa kitchen is said to be pretty neat (outside) so we are going to make a point to taken advantage of our surroundings.

4. Shipping ahead. I will be seriously considering shipping a box. With a kid, the luggage adds up no matter how little clothing you take. Add cameras, books, sunscreen and such...

5. A certain spouse and a certain chocolate-crazed grandmother will be forced to plan for lost luggage.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

cypressgirl,
That would give me a sour taste too!!! If that happens, no newbies for me again either!

gromit,
Thanks for the advice! I have started with some of this already. I sent them a "guide" that I created. Also, I was thinking of 1 jeep for every 2 couples. (I think Rick recommended this before.) Do you think that is good?
I have not mentioned the food, garbage, or water things yet. I will!
And thanks for the walkie talkie idea!
I think I have a lot of work to do.
Image[/url]
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Honestly, I am a big fan of every couple having their own jeep. There's extra cost, but a lot of bad blood can be avoided by allowing everyone to have their own independence. Unless you've got a VERY laid back group of people. Just my HO.

Inevitably it's the couple that didn't want to spring for their own jeep that will be bitching because they 1) can't go when they want to or 2) want to sleep in or 3) want to go to the beach early or 4) are tired of shopping and want to go home, etc etc. etc.

And god forbid someone gets in an accident and there's some damage to a vehilce. Then that can really create problems because now another couple is held financially responsible.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE heed my advice. Let each couple handle their own transportation if they can.

It will make your lives SO much easier.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

cypressgirl wrote:What I'm doing differently this time is going with 5 ladies I don't know. Can't wait!!!

X........you are so right about the newbie thing. Where did you send your box, how expensive was it, and how much did it weigh? I think I like that idea, just wondering about the logistics.
I sent the box to the villa management company and just called to remind them about it the day before so it was waiting for us, although in our case it wasn't but it was not a big deal to get it. Youc an also send it to Connections or the mail center for a small fee. I think my box cost about $25 to ship, I used USPS and it took about 14 days. I used a heavy duty copy paper box and made sure that everything was packed tightly and filled the box with crumpled newspaper so nothing would shift. It was worth every penny.