OT: Banking PSA!

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

OT: Banking PSA!

Post by liamsaunt »

So, as you guys know we are leaving tomorrow morning for our trip. Well, this morning I called my bank to check my account balance, as I do every so often. When the little computer man told me I had $57 in my account I knew there was a problem!

It turns out that someone hacked into my account and drew all the money out using paypal charges over the past two days. There were also a bunch of itunes charges, and I assure you I have not been working on a new mix tape!

Anyway, the fraud people were very nice, and I am getting all the money back tonight, but of course they have to issue me a new debit card...which means I don't have access to my checking account for the vacation! Luckily John and I keep our finances separate, and his account was not compromised.

I guess the upshot of the situation is that I am now going on an all-expenses paid vacation. :P

Monitor your bank accounts!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Wow! And this is why I obsessively check my online banking & credit card statements. I am glad to see the fraud people were so cooperative.
Rachelle & Joe

bank fraud

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

:( wow bummer!! glad things will work out! Have a great trip & enjoy! 8)
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

I'm glad you got it straightened out so soon. Good time to be getting away from the ratrace. Have a great vaca!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

holy SMOKES!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We had that happened to us about 2 years ago. Someone took a nice trip thru Europe with my Amex card. The Swiss police actually caught the guy and we had an interesting conference call.

It would certainly be more annoying/stressful to have it impact your cash account.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Do you know how they got access to your account numbers?

My husband is a freak about buying stuff on the internet because of someone getting our numbers. I have been doing it for a long time and have never had a problem. I only will buy if they have a secure server.

I'm glad to hear your bank was so willing to help!

XOXO
Bug
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

What a frustrating thing to happen right before your vacation! It is good that it is being taken care of.

Bug, my husband is freaked out about internet shopping too. I try to use only one credit card on-line and use it just for that.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

In my case, the fraud department basically told me they didn't care how it happened (because it happens so much), they just reversed all the charges.

I suspect my # was stolen from the luggage cart rental stand at an airport. I use my card infrequently. It was sort of dumb bad luck that I used it to rent a cart outside the car rental return. We were in a rush and I didn't have $1 dollar bills on me so I just swiped my card.

I will say, aside from minimal time commitment for a few phone calls to complete the report with AMEX, we had suffered no problems as a result of the theft.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

bugblu98 wrote:Do you know how they got access to your account numbers?
I really don't know. It could have been anywhere, really. I use the card a lot. We had a huge security breach here in MA thanks to the TJ Maxx company...and I also got a notice from the Boston Globe regarding a card breach for thousands of people, but that was a long time ago. After my conversation with the bank I feel reassured that it's really not going to be a problem. It's just a little inconvenient. I've checked all my other cards and accounts and it's only that one that is impacted.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

OMG! What a shi**y thing to have happen right before you leave. I'm so psycho about that I check my account on-line everyday and shred everything. Glad it sounds like it's working out well though. Hope you guys have a great time!!!
Adrienne

Post by Adrienne »

Yep - my hubby and I had that happen to us literally two months after opening a new account with a new bank RIGHT after we got married. Have no idea how the number was stolen, hadn't used the card on-line and barely used it otherwise as it was brand new. The kicker about these THIEVES -they had an actual card made up with our number on it as they made IN STORE PURCHASES...we live in NJ - they were up in MA and bought themselves a nice old big screen TV and some stereo accessories to go along with it. Happened to friends of ours too, right after they were married AND the same bank - they had in store purchases in Florida - including a restaurant charge! If its gonna happen, its gonna happen those dirty rotten scoundrels will get their hands on your info anyway they can!
Beachboy

Credit Fraud

Post by Beachboy »

I have been getting an email everyday from what looks like an official Paypal site, warning me that I needed to respond as some unusual activity was taking place on my paypal account. They also said they would close out my paypal account to prevent any bogus charges from taking placeif I didn't contact them using a link provided in the email.

Thing is; I DON'T HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

I have notified AOL everyday, but still keep getting the email.

I live in MA also, and my credit card companies issued me new cards after the TJ Max security breach.

You really have to be super vigilant or they will get you.