Cruz Bay vs. Coral Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
Connie

Cruz Bay vs. Coral Bay

Post by Connie »

I may sound like I'm an idiot here, but I'm a little confused about Cruz Bay and Coral Bay.

I know Cruz Bay is right when you come off the ferry. Little town, some places to eat....That's the only town I believe I ever got to.

What's in Coral Bay? And why should I go there next time? I don't know...maybe i've been there and didn't even know i was there?

Just looking for some new things.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

If you were to get on Centerline Road and drive east, go up over Bordeaux Mountain, then down the other side, you'd run right in to Coral Bay. At the bottom of the Mountain there's a 3 way intersection. Straight takes you to Skinny Legs, Donkey Diner, the Fire Station, Estate Zootenvaal and on out to the East End (Vie's, Sloop Jones, the "Stay Lef' Mon" sign). Right takes you to Island Blues, Love City Mini Mart, Cocolobo Market Place (Aqua Bistro, the new grocery, Mosquito Bites), Shipwreck Landing, Calabash Boom, Miss Lucy's, Salt Pond and the Lameshures.

There's more to do out there than I've listed, but those are just some landmarks for you.
Jennifer

waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Coral bay is on the other side of the island it is slower life style. It is where skinny legs is located.
Tom
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Connie, Coral Bay side is on the other side of the island. It does not really have a "downtown" like Cruz Bay does. It's quieter over there than Cruz Bay, but there's still lots to do...beaches to visit--Salt Pond, Princess, Lameshur and Vies are all out that way. Yummy restaurants like Shipwreck Landing, Island Blues, Skinny Legs, Miss Lucy's etc. Hiking trails--Brown Bay, Ram Head, Yawzi, etc. There are a couple of places to shop too...Jolly Dog is popular, and there's a nice art gallery at Skinny Legs plaza.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Yes you should check out CB it's got a low key vibe and some good eats !Sweet Plantains food so good !
Connie

Post by Connie »

And how long would it take for us to get to Coral Bay?

Do you think we should make one day just for Coral Bay and the beaches on that side?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

That's my current plan when I go, Connie.

Well, as much as I have a plan. I'm not much for plans past a plane itinerary. I'm all about Island Time.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Connie - It takes about 20 min. to 1/2 hr. to get to Coral Bay from Cruz Bay. I'm sure you could spend a whole day there eating, drinking and laying on the beach, but you could also spend the morning there and the afternoon on the North Shore.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

It is about a 1/2 hour drive I go over a few times each week. Have to go to skinnys and josaphines for greens. Miss Lucy's for brunch on sundays vies for her garlic chicken.
Last edited by waterguy on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

California Girl wrote:Connie - It takes about 20 min. to 1/2 hr. to get to Coral Bay from Cruz Bay. I'm sure you could spend a whole day there eating, drinking and laying on the beach, but you could also spend the morning there and the afternoon on the North Shore.
I agree.........go to Coral Bay for the AM and have lunch at Skinny's or one of the other many places, do your shopping at Cocoloba and Jolly Dog and then stop at the Smoothie Stand and then head towards N. Shore and those beaches........
Those are the days I miss........Coral Bay is such a quiet and chilled out place......It is not as built up as Cruz Bay.........thank god and may it stay that way..............

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Gromit got me in the habit of hitting the beach early in the morning. We typically get up so much earlier on St. John. So we'll hit a north shore beach at about 8-9. When we start getting hungry around 11 or so, we'll pack up and head to Coral Bay (you're 1/2 way there if you are on the north shore beaches) for lunch at Skinny's or Island Blues. Shop a little. Head back to the house & into the pool. Before you know it you've wasted an entire day! Island style ;)
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

We stayed in a villa overlooking Coral Bay in May. I love that side of the island. Like others have mentioned, we usually hit 2 beaches each day, one on the north shore, then one on the Coral Bay or East End side. You should definitely take time to see that side of St. John!
Image[/url]
StJohnCaptain

Here's a map for you

Post by StJohnCaptain »

The easiest thing to do is look at a map. Here's one.

http://www.stjohnvillarental.com/map.html

I have lived on St. John for the past 7 years. 5 were in Cruz Bay, but we got tired of the noise and a horrible condo that went up in our quiet neighborhood, so we move to Coral Bay. I love it here. As for visitors, there is much more action in Cruz Bay, and you can walk around town at night and just wander into places. Coral Bay is much more spread out. Takes me about 20 minutes to drive from CB to CB, but some tourists take longer, especially at night.
Greetings from 600 ft. above Coral Bay Harbor -- Captain G.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

St. John Captain said
"Greetings from 600 ft. above Coral Bay Harbor -- Captain G"

I wish that could be my greeting!

Welcome to the forum, Captain!
Image[/url]
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I highly second (third??) those recommendations to do a beach in the morning than lunch in Coral Bay.

Island Blues is by far my preference over Skinny's though. It is much more breezy than Skinny's and I find it even more laid back. The food is AWESOME. Their specials are great and the music is good too!

We did Skinny's till we found Island Blues. This past trip, we only went by Skinny's to shop. It's not that anything is wrong with Skinny's - we just like everything about Island Blues better.

I LOVE the atmosphere and the less crowded aspect of Coral Bay. You feel like you have the island to yourself.

We also like Shipwreck.

nothintolose