10am check out/5:30pm flight.....

Travel discussion for St. John
djmom

10am check out/5:30pm flight.....

Post by djmom »

what on earth do you do in between with no shower before the flight and all that luggage?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I know Caneel has an area where you can shower/change if you are still on the property after you have checked out of your room. Perhaps if you spent your last day there they would allow you to use that as well. You have to obtain keys from the front desk.

So on our last day we were up early and went to Honeymoon beach. Then we went back and packed up and advised the front desk that they could pick up our luggage and store it for us. We settled our bill and then went to Scott beach, had lunch, got the keys to the day room and showered and changed and then went and claimed our luggage so we could go meet our villa rep. It worked out really well.

I would call Caneel and ask about this for non hotel guests.

And can you also get day passes at Westin? Seems I've heard about this some place but can't confirm.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
caribechris

Post by caribechris »

Connections in Cruz Bay will hold your luggage so that you can spend the day on STJ. I think they chareg $3 per bag per day. We usually do our shopping at that time, get lunch and just hang around Cruz Bay.

You could always pack a small bag with a change of clothes and take a taxi to Trunk, spend the day there, then shower there before you leave...
CShell1019

Post by CShell1019 »

The first thing I would do would be to ask management if there were the possibility of a "late check-out." Some places, if they have no one coming in or are willing to clean your place last instead of first, will let you extend for a time especially if there are no incoming guests. The worst they could say is "no."
Bug

Post by Bug »

We ususally use this time as our STT shopping time. We check out the villa, take the ferry over to STT (CA), and have our taxi driver meet us there. He takes and hold our luggage while we do some last day shopping. He them picks us when when it's time to head off to the airport. It works out great and then we don't have to take one of our beach days to shop!!

Hope this info helps - and let me know if you don't have any taxi info - I can recommend the driver we use - he is AWESOME!!!!

XOXO
Bug
mia

Post by mia »

We returned the car; they kept it with our luggage until we were ready to leave. Actually we spent a very relaxing morning...breakfast at JJ's, last minute shopping at Ruth's, sitting in the park, people-watching and soaking up the last precious moments of our St. John visit. My husband walked back to the car lot and some nice guy drove him and our luggage to the ferry dock. Relaxing and no hassles...good thing, because STT airport was a nightmare. It was only after finally getting to our gate that I felt like I needed a shower. :shock:
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
Pia

Post by Pia »

If you are leaving on a Saturday you will need to be at the airport no later than 3pm so you will need the 2pm Red Hook ferry so really not that much time. I would ask if the car rental company could hold your luggage or use Connections, have a slow breakfast at JJ's, shop alittle grab some food from Deli Grotto for the plane and soak in the last min sights and sounds.

Pia
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

We left our villa at 10am sharp as the cleaning crew was arriving. Bill dropped us at the CB Dock and he returned the rental car. We waited to buy our ferry tickets, bought some water, took a last look in some of the stores in CB and took some last pics. We rode the CA ferry, stopped in one store for a last minute purchase on STT (booze of course), took a taxi to the airport and commenced to wait in the check in lines and so forth. Then we waited in a long line for some food. After that we only had about 45 minutes to kill at the airport. Our flight left around 4pm. Somehow it took all day to leave! I was glad, I was not ready to go home!
djmom

Blubug, who is your taxi driver?

Post by djmom »

thanks
papabou

Post by papabou »

ease of coming and going main reason we rent on stt and use barge. delta atl flts leave 3:30/4:30 so on dept date we checkout of villa and go for 9:30 barge, do stt north shore drive and go to mt top for last look at stj and with banana daq, sometimes do stt east end drive or drop the bride for few minutes at brazar. our goal is to get to bw emerald beach 4 hrs before flt. we have an island time leisurely lunch at their restaurant with great views, soso food and service and reasonable island prices. usually couple caribes since only couple minute drive to airport car return from BW.

has worked w/o a glitch 7 times but know the time will come when we will have car trouble on stj and rental agency on stt (usually budget but used avis a couple times). we'll worry about it when it happens in mean time we load and unload once coming and going so much easier on us old folks.

papabou
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We have had some places give us an extra hour before checking out but the guys at Courtesy have given us as little as an hour extra and as much as, "bring it back whenever you want" (always during the off-season). We usually check out and then drive around till the car has to be back then we go to the Beach Bar (sometimes with our bags and sometimes we leave them at Courtesy) till it's time to leave. If we left our bags at Courtesy, they give us a ride to the dock.

When my family came with us and were leaving two days ahead of us, they used Basil's Taxi Service. He picked them up in STT and brought them to lunch at Gladys', let them do some shopping then took them to the airport. They loved using him.

I just prefer to spend every last minute possible on STJ.

nothintolose
MLS

Post by MLS »

There are times when I think that the villa business on St. John revolves around the cleaning people.
Having been turned down for the late checkout even on days without turnovers, I now checkout a day early, check into the Best Western Emerald Beach on STT, salvage a good day at that beach and pool there, enjoy the next day (including hitting the beach one more time) until much later in the day than is possible from STJ, and save a chunk of money too as my hotel room is much less than a day's rent at most villas.
Rental agents can be a cranky bunch when dealing with checkout times.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We do the exact same thing as Mia. We checkout as late as we can, and then do shopping and lunch in Cruz Bay. It's more relaxing to take the 2pm Red Hook, the dock is so busy with the 12 and 1pm crowds. One year we kept the car a little later and we drove out to Island Blues for lunch.

Happy Planning!